1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. FiatJay

Arun I am also in similar situation. But mine is just crossed 600kms. My MID says 7.2kmpl. After your post now I am wondering after what km i will get a standard mileage (atleast 13 in city and 18 in highway) like everyone.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    trick is not only in the rpm . lower rpm on climping slopes means more fuel wastage . rpm should be adequate enough for the engine to rev on its own momentum . i dont know about petrol versions but in mjd it is around 1800 -2000 rpm where best fuel economy is observed .
    i am sure using a petrol engine at 1500 rpm is really killing the motor.

if anybody doubts what i said ,diy your car on a slope try to climp uphill in highest gear possible and have a look at the mid fuel consumption. naturally you will try to push accelerator to max means un burnt fuel.

it needs bit of additional expertise to squeeze out maximum FE from you rides.

happy discovering.
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Arun, as you said that you can't even reach 40 kph mark most of the times, means you rarely apply 5th gear then. Most of the time you are running in 3rd or 4th gear only which can be the reason of low milleage.

Also, please share average speed of the trip from MID. I am very much sure its not more than 17 km/h. If its true than there is no issue with milleage.

If your average speed is more than 17 km/h, get petrol filled from another bunk and check for improvement. Still, you get low milleage , visit TASC ASAP.
  4. I own the 1.2 and i constantly get FE figures between 12.5-14 kmpl in all conditions from city+ AC to Highways. You mention that you never let the rpm below 1500 with regard to fears of "breaks to become hard due to anti stall."
    Well, Antistall doesn't kick in at such high rpms. You would need to be around 500 rpm for the Antistall to kick in. So allow the engine to go below 1500. Avoid letting it go below 1000. Just today morning i was driving on empty streach of road,, i was doing 30-35 kmph in 5th gear, with rpm hovering around 1200 and MID FE=25-27. Ofcourse, one can't drive like this normally in traffic.
    Also, there are some sweet spots in the engine in relation to the speed-rpm. So far, i have figured out 2 of them:
    75kmph - 2500rpm - 19 kmpl
    100kmph - 3100rpm - 18 kmpl

On highways, if you maintain this then you'll surely get excellent fuel efficiency. One more observation is that if you get into 130s and 140s, you'll get FE =10.5-11.5 on contant speed and if the AC is on then it would be around 9 to 10.
  5. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I have 1.2 Active and the FE comes to 12.3 in city driving, But on Highway it returns to 14.6, I amhappy with the FE, because you feel like driving the saloon car and a spacious drive to end with.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    FiatJay, have you reset your trip meter at least once after you brought the car home? If not, then it's time to do so.
  7. arun_chak

Hmm... checked the average speed. It shows 15 km/h. Could this be the problem? But then I feel in the city it will be always somewhere between 15-20 km/h. Still lot of owners claim having a good FE. BTW my tyre pressure are 35ps for summer.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I would recommend a long drive or a drive through ghat to open up your engine, 8 seems to be very low.
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Arun, what I thought is absolutely correct. Your car is absolutely fine. Its' your avg speed that is causing low mileage and this depends on the number of parameters like lot of turns , bed roads and crowdy area.

But still get your air filter clean and use instant consumption in MID. This will surely help you to slightly better mileage.
  10. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

One of the reasons for getting low mileage is that the combustion is not complete within the engine due to lower air available from the stock filters. This can happen when you are driving in dusty conditions. Hence ensure that your car's air filter is cleaned regularly.

It is also very much necessary to free your car's legs once in a while and hence you need to do some spirited runs on highways so that your car's engine can get tuned properly. ALways driving in high traffic conditions will only destroy your car's engine and clutch will be the first to go.

Try to find the optimum rpm in your car using the Instant Consumption and see at what rpm you get the best mileage - that is your reference point. For a MJD its 2000 RPM. Petrol should be higher as the petrols have higher rpm levels unlike diesel. Hence the theory of 1500 might not hold good and could be slightly higher. Try it out and let us know.