1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Loss of power on incline

Hey Guys...

I faced this issue yesterday near lonavala...while on an incline (a rather steep one) faced absolute loss of power. The car wasnt able to make it even in the 1st gear... (all this while a santro with the same load crossed me...... very embarassing...:mad:)

Eventually it did make it on the top of hill but it required a very bad clutch and accelerator play... alsolutely hated the power loss...... Donno if things are related :?:but the gear shift has become hard as well.....

1st servicing is comin up... tell me what can I tell FIAT guys to check....

2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

For normally aspirated petrol engines , the idling time on the first start of the day will definitely be lesser than the diesels.

Diesels depend upon the heat in the cylinder to help in combustion. ( That is why there are glow plugs in diesels for easier cold starts. The diesels which did not have glow plugs were a pain in the a** to start when cold)

Petrols, on the other hand have spark plugs to ignite the air-fuel mixture. So, idling the petrols , although necessary , does not need to be as long as diesels. Since in a petrol , the motive of the idling would be to let the engine oil reach everywhere .

However , it is always a good practice not to rev high until the operating temps are reachd.

If the duration of the stop lights exceeds 60-80 seconds, it'll make good sense to turn off the petrol engine. Petrols consume more when idling as compared to diesels.

After a run , you can turn off the engine straightaway. However , if on the highway and continuosly maintaining high speeds , it is a good practice to let the engine idle a minute.

For the TJET , most of the suggestions in my earlier post pertaining to the MJD would suffice. For the turbo's sake.
    Most probably the turbo in the T-JET would be water cooled , but the exhaust temperatures of a petrol are far more than of a diesel.

3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Symptoms seem eerily similar to a fried clutch. But it shouldn't happen so soon.

How is the car driving on level roads? Do the same symptoms persist?

4. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

No issues on level roads.. it moves smooth.....
  5. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    As a first step you could get the air filter cleaned properly ..

In many cases of power loss , clogged air-filters have been found to be the main reason for it .

Also , try changing the petrol pump ...
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. linealover

linealover Regolare

hey sid,
    It is an inherent problem in turbo charged cars,even in high power car like CRUZE...

I too felt complete loss of power when ascending krishnar malai(mountain)in karnataka,quite steep indeed.she never budged for anything, of course five inboard with our

luggage. cars coming down the slope ceased in a row due to my linea got stalled as many times as could make frown others.

people start yelling at me....

kool,i stayed calm and holding my right foot in such way she can manage 2500 Rpm,pulsating the clutch.....

Finally got out of tricky situation,smell of burnt rubber,

i red in over drive about testing of hatch backs in hostile mountain of Rotang pass,wherein srish chandran took a diesel hyundai I20 admiring her torque.

As going gets tough,he cant hold a candle to petrol maruti RITZ or honda jazz.he used all his fundas.....but no no said the i120.

eventually,he left competition with parking her in the middle of the path with broken sump.

As altitude increases air pressure decreases,plus turbo lag makes the engine pave the way to grave yard,irrespective of standing on his right foot.

so we have live with it,is the only option left.......

7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    imo it has to do nothing with the altitude for the situation of sid10000 .
    and there is nothing to panic either i suppose. even me too met same problem actually twice.

one was probably due to water in diesal due to rain . and other was as mentioned on a slope. but then my car was indica vista with fiat multijet engine. for a moment i thought car would stall and she is done. but very slowly exercising with clutch i managed to pull her up to hill , engine didnt shut down.

i believe this should be due to fuel in tank being on lower rear side as inclined position of car, which would make unexpected reverse suction in fuel line .
    it looks to me as nothing serious but just a small design flaw without any compensation for such malfunctions. and diesal being heavier is more susceptible to it than lower density petrol.

probably fiat should be aware of this fact now and they might have done something to it.
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sid_10000- When you are driving on an incline, avoid letting the rpm fall below 2200rpm for T-JET. I, too, have had similar experience in hills.

Suppose, you are going on an incline in 3rd gear at 45kmph and rpm at 2500rpm. The car in front of you slowed down and you have to slow down as well leading to a fall in rpm.
    Now, your new speed in 3rd gear is 25kmph and rpm is 1200rpm. You need to downshift to maintain the speed and accelerate.

On a plain road, you can go down 1 gear into 2nd and accelerate but on an incline it is not sufficient. You need to downshift 2 gears and you land into 1st gear in this situation.

1st and 2nd gear in FIAT India cars are short to avoid turbo lag and thus they are useless in hills/mountains. You are in 1st gear and pressing the accelerator merely leads to increase in rpm without moving the speedo needle much. This leads to the feeling of being stranded on the incline.

Don't worry. Just take your T-JET to 3000-3200rpm in 1st gear and then quickly slot into 2nd gear and accelerate. You will get back into power band. Then try again to go into 3rd gear whenever the conditions permit.

The moral of the story is to keep rpm above 1750 in MJD and 2200rpm in T-JET when driving in the hills. Do not let rpm go below this cut off.

The above is based on my personal experience only.
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

While I agree to ur both posts (diesel + petrol), but do you idle for a minute before you stop the engine (highway or otherwise). I am finding it difficult to make this a habit. One always has urge to rush out when stopping the vehicle. I idle but only for 5-15 seconds. One minute is too long....60 seconds. It would be good to have ur inputs here.
  10. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Thanks guys...
    Keeping the JET in turbo zone is what got me out of the situation ...

But this bugs me out a little.... my wife who is not used to JET much ended up stalling it a few times on the ghats.....