1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    What Fiat / Experts say:
    1. Fiat manual / Eco-drive suggests switching off if wait is more than 60s
    2. Fiat suggests start driving immediately on switching on, albeit slowly on lower rpm for a few minutes to let the engine warm up.
    3. Experts suggest 60s of idling on starting and after halting to let the turbo stop with engine oil flowing.

If you follow 1, it can get difficult to follow 3.

What I follow with my TJet:
    1. I follow Fiat's advice (both 1 and 2). To ensure my turbo is not damaged, I start of slowly, not allowing the rpm to go above 1200 for the first minute.
    2. In case there is a long signal, especially when you may have to wait for 3 turns to cross one, I delay switching off only if I have been revving beyond 1500rpm before the signal. Since in most cases I know where this can happen, I plan for it.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    I Start driving after warming up my 1.4 when the rpm needle settles at 800rpm or so..and warm up my bike for 120secs...warming up is a must for petrol vehicles..
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @gvm

1. Diesels inherently consume pretty little fuel when idling. Let it idle , unless the stop duration is too high. What most people dont realise is that frequent engine starting consumes more fuel than letting the engine idle ( diesel engine specifically).

2. All this talk of starting and moving immediately is crap. Just a way to conserve every little drop of fuel. Idle the engine for atleast 2 minutes,, more in colder weather, then keep the revs low till engine is upto operating temperature.
    Remember , diesels dont have spark plugs to aid combustion. They perform their best when warm.

3. For hot start , you dont really need to idle before moving.
    However , before stopping the engine when hot , it is always a good practice to idle before shutdown. And absolutely more so when stopping in between highway runs ; thats when the turbo is worked up the most.

Your MJD's turbo will love you for these little things. ;)

Gurjinder.
    6 people like this.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    +1 to that.Gurjinder is 100% right..Pepl who stop their engine every now n den to save few drops of fuel dunno that on starting the engine consumption wud be more..Stop the engine only if the halt is more than 300-500secs..
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i second to that

plus

frequent start stop excercise is not healthy for alternator,batteries and starter gears.

and yes engine consumes more fuel when starting an engine and cumbustion also much less so you see more smoke initially.

same hold true for air conditioner people whom turn off ac often they are damaging the fuel efficiency and lifespan of engine

on a side note if an individual is so much concerned to save single drop of fuel ,then he must opt for public transport
  6. Thanks all for your valuable inputs. Looks like 3 min + is the bear mininum we need (if at all we do that). Thanks.
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Estimate for the amount to be paid on due service/

Dear All,

request you to share the amount of money paid on each due service,to have a fair idea of money to be kept ready for the service due,

1st Service @ 3K= Free(Just a check up)
    2nd Service@15K = Rs.5103/-
    3rd Service@30K =
    4th Service@45K =
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Punto MJD

Ist service: 0.00
    IInd service: Approx 5k due to the increased cost of fuel filter
    IIIrd service: Approx 5k again but could go upto 8k if brake pads need replacement. Mine did!
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the labor charges levied by Fiat are very high in every case. today i changed the oil. it was just a oil change which involves just 3 bolts to be removed and a 15 min job. on the jobcard they put in 4.5 hours as standard labor time for which they charge 1000 rs. day light robbery.
    for brake pad change which is a 15 min job they charge people somewhere around 1200rs.

i pay 250 rs at MASS for oil change, 200rs for brake pad change and when this is accompanied with service they sometimes dont charge anything for brake pad change. for wheel bearing change they charge 350 rs. i think fiat will charge 2500 for this then.

also during oil change they were trying to charge me for 4 litres whereas they filled in just 3.5 litres. so 277 rs loot directly. i objected and they changed it.
    secondly they charge 2% if paid by credit card which is not legal.

other shops or MASS dont charge 2% for CC payment.

sad to say FIAT is not learning its lessons.
  10. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    And what would you say for petrol vehicles?