1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guru, driving a car with a turbocharger , that too a fixed geometry one , has its own pros and cons.

One of the cons is that the turbo takes its own sweet time to spool up and provide max or closer to max boost which translates into more power. And one of the symptoms you've described seems to be a classic case of turbo lag. ( as if driving with handbrake on)

Assuming that your clutch settings are ok and no problem there , it is always a good practice to let go of the clutch slowly and smoothly, rather than suddenly. It saves a lot of stress on the engine and the drivetrain ( gearbox , drive shafts etc).

The more you drive your car , the more you'll adapt your driving style to it. Try to change gears based on the feel you get from the engine and the accelerator pedal rather than by looking at the tachometer. Thats one way to feel the car when driving.

As far as possible try and keep the engine in its powerband. And change gears accordingly. So that you can have instant power on tap when you press the accelerator.

Again i'll say its all about adapting.

However , if you do feel that there may be a problem in the car , do get it checked and ask the service centre guys to arrange a test drive of another Punto MJD so you can have a comparison.

Gud luck

Gurjinder.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    in 1st gear do not rev high .maintian it just somewhere near 1500 and shift to second. the first gear is too torquey and initially punto have too much of so called clutch byte which will wear away by 4k+ km.

just park the car on flat smooth road and try to push a meter or two. if there is something with brakes or bearings in wheels the car will hesitate to move.
  3. guru

guru

Hyderabad
    Gurjinder, Thanks for that informative reply. Yeah i kinda change ears more by the speed and the tacho, as its hard to feel the engine sound, with a/c and music on. i guess i'll have to tone down the music a bit

noted. I 'll have breaks and wheel bearings checked at Tejaswini motors first thing on monday
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    guru, if you have eco drive installed, it will show you at what rev point exactly you need to shift gears (through a demo on your PC and not on MID). If it helps to understand, I am in 5th by the time my Linea reaches 45kmph. Acceleration by this approach is slower but that's the way I like it. If I need to accelerate faster, I rev to 2k in 3rd gear and then keep 2-2.5k through the gear shifts.
  5. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Kaps - Eco drive does not work on the Punto and that is really sad.
  6. madhavnarayanan

madhavnarayanan Novizio

Bangalore
    Guys, my punto diesel gives out an audible "click" sound when i release the clutch. It does not feel right. Does not happen all the time, but its annoying. Any advise?
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    @madhav

In which gear or gears does the clutch make a sound when u release the pedal? Also , under acceleration or deceleration or under both?

Also, how much km's has your Punto run.
  8. madhavnarayanan

madhavnarayanan Novizio

Bangalore
    It normally happens when accelerating. and happens while shifting to any higher gear. (i mean 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5, not the other way around) I have done 4600Kms, bought the vehicle on 25th of Feb.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    At last I took my car to TASS to get the problem checked. The service guy came and started checking the issue. I specifically told him that he wont be able to see the issue if he is using the windshield sprinkles as the wiper will move only is the lowest speed while using the sprinkles. So as to see the issue, the wiper should be moving in speed 2. The service guy kept on checking with the water spray mode and he said he don't see any problem and suggested me to go for Anti Frost and Guard X windscreen treatment. I told him that that is not the solution because being a new car, I shouldn't be getting this problem. Then he wanted me to speak to the Cust Relationship Manager (CRM). I spoke to him and they took my car to the bay. Even I explained to him about the issue and how it could be reproduced. After waiting for about 2 Hrs they told me that they had filled something with the wiper fluid and asked me to check it. In between the CRM told me that even his car does have this same sort of issue.I was so irritated by his usual excuse. I told him that I have been using cars for more than 10 yrs. Anyway the service guy came to me and told me that I can take my car and that it is better if I do the GuardX. If the problem still exists , they may have to check the car @ night during rain, ask FIAT to replace the windshield under warranty and all those crazy stuff. Luckily it started raining at that time and asked the service guy to accompany me for a 5 min ride and I showed him the exact problem. He was doing things like changind the AC mode to defrost mode etc etc and you know what he told me at the end...This happens in all the cars. I dropped him back at the TASS. I showed this same problem to the sales guy who delivered my car and he told me that this is the 1st time he is seeing such an issue and he was convinced.He accepted that there is some issue with my windshield . I personally feel that a glass polish should clear the issue. This is some kind of stain in the glass. I wasted around 3 Hrs unnecessarily. The only useful thing that happened was I bought door sil plate for punto (yet to fix..) and gave order for the hand rest parts :)
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Our Palio D does that sometimes , but only when im driving it hard and doing high rpm shifts. Not regularly.

Anyways , it doesnt sound right , and you might wanna consider a visit to the service centre.

Gurjinder.