1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Exteriors/Body

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by gautamkhadse, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    If u r so concerned, just reduce your fill ups by 100 r 200 inr worth fuel. That way probability of over spilling is reduced. This is wat I do now. Why waste even drop yea ;)
    ViPr, Himanshukumar and pv_krish like this.
  3. ugandhar

ugandhar Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I asked in aadya (Ebony) workshop and KHT workshop for painting Both mirror caps with Red color and both workshops are asking with Big price differences. Just want to ask why the price difference.

KHT - 1000 /- and Ebony- 500 /-
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They know better. I think Fiat has regulated rates of spares and labor to a great extent. Still sometimes no. of heads to charge labour under (officially approved list) is left to the dealer.

I think you should go with Aadya and get it over with. No point finding the truth behind labour charges.
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I possess 2011 end manufactured GP and i live in chennai. Two days back while giving a wash i found that Rust formation had started already in the rear doors at bottom edge where will be a rectangular opening in the sheet metal to leak out excess water.

The front doors are intact, rear doors will not last for next two years is my guesstimate. Is there a way where we can salvage this by a proper body repair like sanding, putty after rust removal re painting curing ? Will it help extend the doors life in terms of rust prevention and rigidity?

Has any one seen a similar situation in your vehicles. The car is exactly 3 years + now and 25 k in odo.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 13, 2015 ---
    I possess 2011 end manufactured GP and i live in chennai. Two days back while giving a wash i found that Rust formation had started already in the rear doors at bottom edge where will be a rectangular opening in the sheet metal to leak out excess water.

The front doors are intact, rear doors will not last for next two years is my guesstimate. Is there a way where we can salvage this by a proper body repair like sanding, putty after rust removal re painting curing ? Will it help extend the doors life in terms of rust prevention and rigidity?

Has any one seen a similar situation in your vehicles. The car is exactly 3 years + now and 25 k in odo. I suppose this issue should be addressed in Major issues section instead of minor issues ? Pl correct me ?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @sriramr9, rusting is not new to many vehicles. It is definitely more common in Mumbai, but also depends on parking conditions (open or stilt), washing and drying technique, the frequency of the same and other such. Rust removal by wire brush and sanding and filling will not provide long term corrosion proofing. When reading long term you should think of no. of years you wish to own the car. If its say 2-3 years more, you could just go ahead with the repairs and some cutting and welding of fresh sheet metal where rusting is excessive. Many Dealerships simply change the door panels will new ones, but may involve much more cost. Some even enquire about changing the whole roof in case of rusting. Anyways after the whole procedure is done it might be good to go for 3M rust proofing and ask them to spray a bit more on areas more prone to rusting. Also if EW is applicable :confused: might ask Fiat to look into it. I hear some claimed warranty for the same, although I am not too certain.
    sriramr9 likes this.
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

Thanks for this , i was little skeptical if they would consider my case. I want to show the CRM the extent of damage and request them for an approval for setting right the rusted areas. I am really not sure at this point as to which is the best way to repair a rust formation of door's under edges.

I have extended warranty EUROPCAR till 2016 Feb hence hopefully looking forward to get done. Thanks for your inputs.

What strange is Front doors are still intact. The car has 50% exposure to sunlight and rains and not have for all 3 years been in open at all all times. Could it be a manufacturing fault ?? Your thoughts ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 13, 2015 ---

Thanks for this , i was little skeptical if they would consider my case. I want to show the CRM the extent of damage and request them for an approval for setting right the rusted areas. I am really not sure at this point as to which is the best way to repair a rust formation of door's under edges.

I have extended warranty EUROPCAR till 2016 Feb hence hopefully looking forward to get done. Thanks for your inputs.

What strange is Front doors are still intact. The car has 50% exposure to sunlight and rains and not have for all 3 years been in open at all all times. Could it be a manufacturing fault ?? Your thoughts ?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    You certainly claim for it in that case. Ideally the paint should not allow the rust formation, but if there is faulty sheet metal used at source there is very little the best treatment procedures can do. I would rather blame the vendors and QC for that. Also possible is that the pre-treatment could not be proper, but its beyond understanding for us normal users.

If incase you are looking for the best solutions you will need something like a sand-blasting and a zinc-rich priming and another couple of layers of treatment to ensure proper restoration and paint adherence.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I certainly would go the regular way of restoring even if it means i keep the vehicle for one year at max. I have other issues also in my doors.

1. Left Front and Rear doors - Have a long complicated scratch made by some greasemonkey kid with a geometry compass like pointing device, it s been more than 1.5 years since i am living with that scratch.

2. Right door - This door was subjected to a slow speed damage caused by a TATA Indica who was negotiating a left and with improper judgement and without giving me time to correct shoved my right door with his bumper causing the internal bracing to give way where it would have been spot welded. After this episode whenever i slam the door with sufficient force there will be a painful clank instead of the original thud. The sound means the sheet metal of the door without any internal welding support would simply shiver and create ripples per physics laws.

None of the SVC's are able to fix this till date which happened in 2012 march and are simply asking to replace the door. Can you from your perspective advice if a non OEM garage can handle such a situation to correct the spot weld and bring back the door's original solid feel.

Punto's door seem solid but they are'nt really solid is my personal opinion after this episode.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If something is rattling a spot weld can surely fix it, however getting access to a necessary portion for spot weld might be tricky. It is definitely not too difficult for an expert mechanic who has great insight about denting painting and can pin-point the exact area of collision and resultant dislocation of a weld/fold somewhere inside the door panel. I am however more inclined to thinking either the linkages, locks or maybe the hinges might have been under stress maybe due to impact, causing slight or minor mis-alignment somewhere and resulting in that clank sound you mentioned. Of-course this is lot of conjecture on my part, but stating this so you can rule out things slowly and systematically once again. Punto and Linea doors are similar and solid at-least when they roll out of factory, however sometimes a complete disassembly-reassembly might be needed to correct certain issues with door. Please escalate (email) the matter to Fiat and ask for a resolution. I think they are not treating this issue as seriously and shrugging it off stating replacement of whole door. Don't ask for SA (they don't know jack at times), ask for body works guy, the ones who do denting/painting and more precisely assembling of parts, the more senior the better.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015