1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Exteriors/Body

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by gautamkhadse, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Damaged Door and rear fender

I have damaged the rare door, fender and a part of bumper of my 1300 MJD active car which is 9 months old.

There is a small dent and huge scratches on door feder and part of bumper. I took it to Fiat service centre and the advisor told i can make an insurance claim for the same and sent it for tinkering and painting.

My friends on other hand suggest that most popular auto makers dont do tinkering and instead replace the entire part as the finishing will be perfect.

Please give me your advise, should i let the Fiat service centre advisors do what they feel is relevant or should i ask them to replace. By looks dmage looks bad, as it was well maintained.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    It depends on the impact. For small dents, nobody will replace items, and it is actually not required.
    Do you have some pictures of the damage?
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. uday_mj

Plastic parts should be changes/replaced if they are broken. Metal need not. Denting and painting should do the job. Scope about for a good metal worker/garage. I doubt if you will know the difference after the complete the job. Cheers!!
  4. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

What is the color of your car? Metallic colors can be difficult to match but a competent A.S.S or a garage should be able to fix it up.

My BNW punto suffered dents on RHS doors & running board. It came out perfect after tinkering and painting.

If you are friends are financing your repair bill you can take their advice else suggestions are always free;)
  5. I dont have any pictures of the same.
  6. Thank you for the response. My Car is Red in colour.
  7. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Inside of Rear Bumper torn up.

Hey guys,
    My Punto is about 1.5 months old and clocked 1900 Kms.

I stay in Pune. Today, I was returning from a party with my friends.
    I was doing 80+ Kmph on a highway (Nagar Road).
    Suddenly i head continuous thuds from the rear right side of the car. I knew the tire is flat.
    I gradually slowed down and got out of the car to inspect the damage.

There was barely any light, all i could see was that the tire had lost a lot of pressure and it had a bulge on the tire wall.
    I could hear air gushing out, so i touched the surface of the tire all around, but could not feel anything lodged.
    I moved the car ahead a bit, got out and to my surprise, i saw almost a 5 inch metal rod sticking out of the tire.
    I tried to get it out, but could not. Jacked the car and replaced the tire. Got the metal rod out after a lot of effort.

It was an L- shaped rod almost 8 inches long.

I dropped my friends home and came to office.
    At office I noticed that the inside fiber part tight above the mud flap of the rear bumper (inside the wheel well) was 'TORN'.
    this is the first "DAMAGE" to my precious. :mad:

The metal part inside the wheel well is fine, no scratches, as the distance from the tire is more than that of the distance between the fiber part and the tire.

I have seen people 'Sewing' up fibre parts using metal wire to prevent further crack/damage. Is this a reliable fix?
    please note that araldite / feviquick wont do the work as this aint a Crack, it is torn up.
    I do not want to replace the whole bumper. can you guys suggest something?

I will upload the pics once i get home in the morning.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

The torn part can be repaired.In my case the front bumper was torn little. The mech sewed the torn part with wire and later lambi, paint ddint leave any scar.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Here are the pictures.

In addition, I got the tire fixed, well its not fixed and i'm shit scared.

The L rod did not only make a HUGE hole in the tire, it also snapped a couple of strings in the tire's sidewall, which is causing a bulge when the tire is inflated.

the mechanic was in doubt about the tire being useful before fixing it, but after he took the tire off the rim and fixed it, he said i can use the tire at the rear.
    when asked about the bulge, the guy said, it does not really matter.

Now, that's what has got me thinking, the strings, in the side wall are responsible for holding the surface of the tire and giving shape to it.
    snapped string means less resistance to outside forces, which would eventually mean a tire burst.

As of now, i will keep it as a replacement tire in the trunk.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

From the pictures,it looks like the fender lining.
    Can be easily fixed for cheap.