1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Exteriors/Body

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by gautamkhadse, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    PM me your number and i will get you a good deal.
  2. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Hit and Run by Indica Taxi !! Right front & rear doors scratched - Help needed.

I was plagued with the Air -con issues before, that being solved and today it was a Indica Taxi Maggot who came and rammed my Punto White right with his bumper made a long scratch on both front and rear right doors .

It is a classic hit and run case as it was a corner of road leading to a right angled bend when i was to negotiate a right that bugger was on his way from right to left. My vehicle had slowed down to zero speed in the process of making a traffic negotiation that it happened in a flash, by the time i saw him coming too close and having realized he hit me.. he continued his course and extended the scratch and sped past before i could folllow him it being a busy road, i was left helpless

Observation:

1. The doors had long seams of his bumper paint stuck with a 0.25 mm dented line across both the doors, the primer paint is visible across the line, there is also a parallel line down below with the same indent..
    2. Both doors have deep scuff marks and numerous small dings as a result of this.
    3. Slamming the right Front door shut now results to a flimsy clank accompanying the thud and the area that got hit shivers, as though it had suffered a injury, more force used to slam results to more painful clank and the solid thud feel has completely gone now.
    4. The power windows retract UP and DOWN normally. now

Question:

1. Can the door be restored to the original condition, when given in the body shop. Any one has encountered such an issue and have restored back to original condition?
    2. Since it was Hit & Run i could not note the bugger's car number, can i still go ahead to claim the above work in Insurance. Will it be worth doing so?
    3. Your valuable and timely answers mean a lot to me. Awaiting for the same.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Yes to questions 1 & 2
  4. Punto Maniac

Punto Maniac Amatore

TN07
    sriramr9 the doors can very well be restored to original settings. Body work on one door is around 3.5k. So for two doors it will approximately by 7+k. Also please check the quality of paint your dealer uses. Sometimes there is terrible mismatch in color:A
  5. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks Srini and Punto maniac.. Please stand by for d\feedback from dealer.... Any insight as to how the door has suffered this much, even though it was minor injury to the door from accident perspective.

I expected the Punto's doors to be more solid than what it looks now and feels when shut...Please throw some light on the above...
  6. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    Sriram - post a pic. Without that it will be difficult to judge the impact for us.
  7. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Post the pics bro , it will help judging better . And don't worry things happen on road . Its not a big issue , do match colour by first applying on small area before going for complete job.
  8. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Thanking for the concern. Will post video link of the door shut sound, which creates a painful metallic clank and the thud sound has vanished...

Posting mainly for all the members here to take precautions of their doors, in the best way suitable/possible such as sticking door protector panels (black ones in plastic or hardened rubber).

I checked and found the Ritz door to be more stronger in comparison to PUnto's door though it feels very light when opened.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    d
    Hi, just to update all, Got the door inspected @ Tafe Reach and Concorde Chennai. The outcome is a reaper or beam or reinforcement channel that comes inside the door placed either in cross angled or diagonal fashion and spot welded along with the door has been cut off due to the strike by the other car's bumper.

Their claim was, they have no expertise to handle this weld job (spot weld or something) and suggested me to go for door replacement through Insurance instead.

I am just surprised/rather shocked how come a bumper scrap cause a spot weld to come off, as a result the door quivers without support when shut and causes a painful clank. the door looks stable from outside but actually i feel it's not as good as the Linea's or the Palio's.

It looks and sounds solid but it actually is not solid IMHO.
  10. Loki

Loki

Thomas - The chrome strips on the front bumper of my Linea are damaged - and Im not in a mood to spend 3k to replace it. I searched on ebay.com below is the link...
    chrome styling strip | eBay

Which one would be an exact look-alike ? (5mm or 7mm or 12mm)

---------- Post added May 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM ----------

Thomas - The chrome strips on the front bumper of my Linea are damaged - and Im not in a mood to spend 3k to replace it. I searched on ebay.com below is the link...
    chrome styling strip | eBay

Which one would be an exact look-alike ? (5mm or 7mm or 12mm)