1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Exteriors/Body

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by gautamkhadse, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Ganges.

Warranty , as in throughout the automotive world, is given when the part is defective from the manufacturer's end.

Here is a case of the part getting damaged, and not a case of malfunction. So, honestly, i don't think there is even a claim for warranty.

It's certainly strange that it broke, but having experienced the quality of that part, i'm sure it would've been a somewhat hard impact.

Cheers.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 to gujinder.
    What I assumed that the part was defective in specific car.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    gurjinder,
    is there any way out to get replaced with the damaged part(wiper stalk) ,i dont want to invest 9500 INR for overall set rather just wiper stalk...
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I reckon the part which broke would be a part of the complete mechanism only and not an isolated part which can be replaced independently.

I don't think that just the stalk can be replaced. This whole mechanism comes as one piece in most cars i've come across.

That said, i'm still at a loss at how it broke just by the touch of a finger. If this were to be the case, we'd all be driving our FIATs with broken stalks. And this is definitely not the case.

Cheers.
  5. Hi Ganges. I faced a similar experience in my dad's Linea when our driver somehow managed to break the Light stalk. :A

Enquired with the dealer and I was quoted 7k for it. It comes as a full set which includes the two stalks molded to a center piece. Also, there are two variants, one for models with AirBag and another without them.

Just like you, I was sceptical on the price quoted and so I went ahead and got the assembly in the after-market. Got it from our good old Kava in Mumbai for 2.8k through my PUG friend.

Do note that this combination switch assembly is an Indian make (Minda). You can enquire about this outside of the dealer in your locality. I will also get you the contact details of Kava by tomorrow.

But one thing that still remains a mystery for me is on how our driver managed to break it. :confused:
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder
    i was using the thumb and fingers around the steering and sometimes when i feel geting swet i stretch my fingers and at the same point got an extreme right turn at this point my hand movement was fast and got in touch with Wiper stalk (2.5 Kilo ka hath :D) and got damaged.... :(

Anandh
    above was my mystery :)
    Hope the minda make(as said for Linea) also supports Punto Emotion Pack :)
    please let know the details..
    and how about the fitting have you been to TATA-FIAT to get it fixed
  7. I got it fitted from an experienced electrician. I'm not sure whether the authorized workshop will accept you to bring in the spares. Moreover, Minda is the OE supplier of these for both Linea and Punto and I'm sure it will support the Punto as well.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Anand for info...
    i will be w8ing for after market details ..
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

Replacing the whole assembly for a broken stalk is one of the best example why manufactures should sell replaceable parts instead of full set. While the whole set costs a bomb, if available, the stack would have costed maximum 1K.

Check out aftermarket alternatives - I am sure Minda will have a compatible part. Do get it fixed by a trusted and experienced electrician.

This is one more reason why manufactures should sell parts over the counter.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    uno has similar combination switch. it has three stalks one for the wiper, indicator and headlight. if one of the thing goes bad the whole assembly has to be changed. i paid 2500 in those days and bought it from aspi motors ahm. i thought new fiat cars would have done away with this but no.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011