1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
  2. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Black soot when cllimbing uphill

Hello All,
    Around 2 weeks back I went to Renuka Lake....The drive is on some mountaneous regions. My friends who were coming behind me said that wheneever I am starting to climb some uphill road and accelerating , my Punto releases black soot for some time at the starting and then it becomes ok. My car has done only 5k kms... Is this black soot normal in a diesel car when climbing uphill ? On city roads I dont have any issue.... The car was not overloaded as it had 2 persons including me and some luggage... Can someone throw some light on this ? can it be due to some adulterated diesel?

Also I want to know if its ok to put BSIII diesel in a BSIV car, because in many smal cities I guess we dont have BS IV diesel.... Can it be a cause of the soot? Will it do any harm?
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @Vivek
    The black soot is due to you pressing the accelerator pedal too much in the turbo lag zone below 1800 rpm. That black smoke is caused due to incomplete combustion of fuel.

BSIII fuel I think will not cause any problem to car otherwise Fiat and all other manufacturers would not sell BS IV cars in BS III cities. Specially when they provide unlimited km's warranty for full 2 years.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There will always be black smoke when lugging a diesel , more so in a turbo diesel.

Try and minimise lugging by optimising gearshifts. It'll help your fuel efficiency figures and in the long run , your turbo.

Gurjinder.
  5. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    Turbo Pressure - measurement

To any technical geeks out there. How do you measure the turbocharger's efficiency? Would the VAG show the PSI it generates? or is there any other method?
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    hi, on the ECU scanner with engine on in running condition you can see the desired turbo boost/actual turbo boost. there should be very minimal difference in both.
    you will not get what PSI it generates.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    It can be done in two ways i reckon:

One is to plug in an electronic boost gauge. The input can be taken from the MAF/MAP .

Second would be to read the OBD port and measure real time values from the MAF/MAP on your laptop/mobile etc .

I've not done any of the above, so these are some calculated guesses.

Gurjinder.
  8. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    Hmm. My car has developed a wierd problem. The turbo charger "appears" to be functioning but the boost is barely felt. The acceleration is inconsistent. At times, the car surges forward but most of the time it is sluggish.

There are two specific problems.
    1. I cant hear the turbo functioning. The low end engine grunt is missing (between 1500 - 2200rpm). Its as if the car has just gone silent.
    2. There is no power in the same range. The car accelerates after 3k rpm but thats normal power band for a standard petrol car.

I started noticing this problem after about a week from visiting Wasan for my A/C repair. I am not a technical expert but my gut feel is that someone remapped the engine with a standard 1.4 petrol engine map.

Any suggestions or tips? I am having the car checked up next week.
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    buddy u know wat r u sayin?? if this is the case u can legally sue wasan for wat they have done...re-mapping a tjet with an 1.4 NA map is just shocking :shocked i dont believe this...u might be facing some turbo spooling prob..mabbe its time to call in the fiat technician n get ur turbo checked at the same time check ur oil health and level..turbo's for effeciently to work shud have the oil in gud condition..make wasan pay for every damage if they are at fault..best of luck..
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    Seems like a loose sensor connection to me.

Check whether all sensors are connected as they should be. That should be the first line of checks.

If you cannot make out whether they are properly connected or not ,take the car to the service centre and ask them to do the same and run the ECU examiner to find out faults , if any.

Gurjinder