1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Prabu

Prabu Novizio

Bangalore
    Re: Punto MJD Turbo kicks at 1400-1500 rpm

I understand that getting turbo at 1400-1500 rpm is good, but my concern is

1) On flat road, without touching acc pedal rpm comes to 800 and raised upto 1100 rpm without touching acc pad !!
    2) It does not happen just once it keeps repeating, i.e.
    a) down to 800 rpm raises to 900-1100 rpm
    b) down to 800 rpm and raises to 900-1100 rpm it keeps happening until I go beyond the 1100 rpm range
    3) In signals, suddenly it started going speed where it is supposed to go slowly (due to this reason everyone in a car can feel the jurk personally I didn't like this). I see power surge / huge power comes in Fiat MJD is known fore linear power delivery, due to the problem I see power linear is not there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Prabu
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Re: Punto MJD Turbo kicks at 1400-1500 rpm

I repeat the following lines.

When RPM goes below or around 800 RPM, ECU injects more amount of fuel
    to prevent engine stall. This feature is present in my Maruti Dzire also.

At low RPM ,this feature is useful to stabilse the battery charging current also.

See the owners guide. I don't remember exact page No. But it is printed somewhere between page No.1 to 20

My MJD was also acting like this. All MJD becomes linear after clocking of more thousands of KM.

Just wait & watch. Beleive it it is not a fault. Iam 1000% Sure.

Afterall Iam using MJD for 38000 KM. ::D

If you are experiencing too much surging , then reset ECU by disconnecting the -ve terminal of battery for 15 Min.
    & reconnect it. But remember first disconnect -ve terminal.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    K & n filters is it worth?

i wanted to know if adding kndn filter would do any thing better in my punto90hp.

i have tried my 90hp without air filter for 1 km just to observe any difference but there was nothing much.so gurus pls help

k and n is costing 5000inr in my hometown
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Re: K & n filters is it worth?

K&N only element filter makes more sense than the stock ones..me also planning to get one soon..got some gud reviews about it..it would provide better air flow..mabbe u cud gain in pickup..go ahead with it..
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

One member has mentioned that stock filter is more efficient than K & N.

If it is true,then it may be due to ECU MAP readings. Because if K & N supplying more air than max.value stored in ECU then due to excess air supply there will be too much lean mixture.

I mean we can maximise the fuel supply only to specific MAP range. After that range ECU will not maximise the fuel qty. So what's use of K & N ?
  6. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Also I have noticed on a friend's swift and two bikes that the K&N filter lets in a lot of dust particles which are generally stopped by the stock filter. Anyone has noticed this?
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Is it ok to drive without air filter for even 1Km? ::pP :eek:fftopic
  8. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai

This is not correct. The ECU is designed to adapt within a set window, which a replacement filter will not cause the ECU to leave the window.

@ paddleshifter - It depends on the ambient conditions. If it is extremely dusty then it could be a problem. In the rain you can go for hudreds of kilometers without any problem.

@ original poster - The air intake on the 1.3s is rather poor. You will gain when replacing the whole air intake by a proper AIR.
  9. tjetdriver

tjetdriver Amatore

Bengaluru, India

I had used K&N Filter for my previous car-Baleno. I had used K&N stock replacement filter not the conical ones.
    I feel it is just a mind feeling of any advantages it will give.. be it power or anything else.
    I used for a year or so and then moved to stock filter.
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai

On the T-Jet it would not be worth it, but a proper AIR is, giving you around 5 to 6bhp peak power improvement and much more bottom end torque and widens the window to re-map.