1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Euro 3 and Euro 4 MJD engines

All, are there technically any changes in components/etc. between Euro 3 and Euro 4 engines? I guess mine is a Euro 3, and i got my GP MJD delivered to me Feb 2010.
    What are the differences between Euro 3 and 4, and can Euro 3 engines be convered to Euro 4 engines? If we do that what do we gain and what do we loose?

Thanks
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Re: Euro 3 and Euro 4 MJD engines

All Grande Punto & Linea are Euro-IV

I clearly remember the sticker pasted on side Qtr.Glass with VIN No.had mentioned
    1248 CC Diesel BS-IV . My Grande is manufactured in Aug.2009
  3. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Re: Euro 3 and Euro 4 MJD engines

I did not know this ! I was told by the SA during my first service that mine is a EURO 3 engine. I will check this tomorrow. Is there a diff betwen BS3/BS4 and Euro3/Euro4?
  4. Re: Euro 3 and Euro 4 MJD engines

Engines manufactured before March are all BS3 compliant and BS4 ready.After March all engines are BS4 compliant.After BS4 change Linea MJD power rating was increased from 86BHP to 93BHP.I don't think there are any component changes not sure though.
  5. Re: Noise in Punto 1.3 MJD

My car has done second service and engine noise is down by 70% , than what i used have, but it's not like muted response of Swift/Vista.

-Sat
  6. Prabu

Prabu Novizio

Bangalore
    Punto MJD Turbo kicks at 1400-1500 rpm

Hi all,

I own Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion, for the last two weeks I've noticed some difference in turbo kick-in !!!

1) Turbo kicks at 1400 - 1500 rpm (but usually it starts at 1800 rpm), though it is good for the city driving (quick pickup) but not correct I believe. Does everyone vehicles start behaving the same way after crossing 18k mileage etc?

2) During 2nd & 3rd gear - In signal I will keep rpm minimal I mean without touching acc pad, so that during moving traffic I will have to control the steering, it's easy. But for some reason it drops below or around 800 rpm and starts raising upto 900 - 1100 at times so it is making driving difficult in city driving it was not the case before. It repeats whenever rpm drops below or around 800 rpm

3) Have given my car for checkup, they said there was dust in the some sensors they cleaned now (for 3-5 days it was near normal) not exactly but now I've the same problem. Due to this reason, I'll have to use break very often earlier I was using break not so regular mostly it was controlled by gear ratio !!!

I used to given my vehicle to "Prerana Motors, Hosur Road".

Did you anyone experienced the same problem before, if so pls help to resolve it.

Thanks
    Prabu
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Re: Punto MJD Turbo kicks at 1400-1500 rpm

My dear friend it indicates that you did not read user guide carefully. It is not problem.

This is Anti-Stall feature of MJD engine.

When RPM goes below or around 800 RPM, ECU injects more amount of fuel
    to prevent engine stall. This feature is present in my Maruti Dzire also.

At low RPM ,this feature is useful to stabilse the battery charging current also.

If your TASS people are also unknown about this feature then they are not liable to run their business.

Nothing wrong in your car.

In 75 BHP version of GP ,FIAT has kept tunning of Turbo as follows.

1) From initial RPM to 1400 RPM there is turbo lag.

2) From 1500 RPM turbo starts to wake up.

3) From 1500 to 2800 RPM you will get max. boost.
    4) From 2800 to 3500 RPM boost remains constant.(No rise in Boost)

4) After 3500 RPM wastegate opens to prevent engine damage due to excess boost created by Turbo.

Previously If your turbo was kicking @1800 RPM,then it was due to bad fuel. Means there was turbo-lag in your MJD due to bad quality of fuel.

It is funny that Iam struggling for turbo boost right which must come @ 1500 RPM,but Iam not getting it. :A

& you are getting @1500 RPM So you are in worry. :uh

Still you have any doubt then simply scan the ECU. If no any errors then sleep peacefully.
  8. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi

+1 to bhai.

Abs correct. BTW bhai, my turbo kicks in @ ~1500+ and is best ~ 2000 in terms of FE and power.

I usually buy my fuel from a single pump and my odo reads 35000+
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

I think your car is becoming more responsive as mentioned by other forum members like Ravi sir, VP, Amogh etc. Thats why you feel there is
    "some noticeable difference in turbo kick-in"

Ok, in your case, turbo starts kicking in at 1400-1500rpm but you feel that in usual cases it kicks in at 1800rpm (based on torque rating in the manual of 197NM@1750rpm).

Let me tell you that Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT) isn't a digital thing that follows only 2 values: 0 or 1 (i.e. all or none principle).

FGT in Punto starts at 1400-1500rpm only as mentioned by Bhai ji above. ::T

VGT Punto shows even lesser turbo lag because a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT) starts kicking in at still lower RPM. I had a test drive once and felt as if there wasn't turbo lag and the turbo was kicking in at much lower RPMs. :clap
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

One bitter truth in India is fuel quality in India is nightmare to MJD. & if MJD is tuned for Indian quality fuel & if other members' MJD are giving better driavability then

only 2 possibilities about my problem.

1) Partially clogged injectors OR

2) Partially open wastegate. Due to abnormal partially opened wastegate Iam not getting drivability under 1500 RPM

Possibility of Sr.No.2 is more. Because if injectors could have partially clogged then
    I would have faced problem of difficulty in Cold Start,Rough Idle & low FE.