1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Srida, Check if the hose has been disconnected again..As Vijay says that it cannot be disconnected easily..it could be some issue..Just check if you can follow through the hose on both ends..it could be that it has been placed wrongly..if it is passing over any moving parts it could happen that the hose is pulled off (may be on heavy load, or may be on sudden accelerations )

I once had this problem with my sisters scooted..the scootor use to accelerate when ever it goes over bad surfaces..i found that the accelaration cable was going with the swing arm suspension..and ever time i go over uneven surface the cable wire was pulled.. :) the mechanic could not understand this..I just asked him to disconnect and connect it with out linking it to suspension..the problem was solved.
  2. Am sorry to delay the update Guys. TFI was down , My Net connection at home was down, No office for the last 3 days, So I cudn't update. The Problem is solved again but I don't know how. The Service Engineer told the hose was in a nice condition and the Fit was also fine. But after the service the Car Feels really much better. Took him for a short drive on the highways and touched 150 Kmph and no issues. I am praying this issue shudn't come up once again. I am yet to try doing 150 with 4 passengers on board.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Good to hear that the car is fine again

But please avoid doing such high speeds, that too with four onboard.
    Safety first and foremost!
  4. Thanks Gurjinder, I usually dont do such speeds but just to check if the car feels normal I would do and that too for a short span. I hardly go beyond 120.
  5. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Grande Punto 1.4
    RPM above 5000

Someone told me its not good to push the RPM above 5000, only meant for sports cars, the engine life goes down:shocked.
    I have been driving like that for past 2 years, but this statement has raised my eyebrows!!!
    Is it true?
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Driving at low rpm (lugging) is even more harmful for engine.
    Engines after all are engines and one day they would need overhauling, 10k kms here or there doesn't make a difference.
    In a modern engine rev-limiters are present in ECU which prevent the engine from revving past some RPM.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. gurjinder

There's no concept as it being harmful.

Not unless you're on the 24 hr Le Mans and gunning the engine to the redline in every gear and at every oppportunity.

Engines, well built ones, don't like to be babied throughout their lives and love to be thrashed once in a while. Just take good care of the engine, follow good practices and you'll be fine.

There are other worse practices and circumstances which are truly harmful to the engine in the long run :

-Starting up in the morning and instantly gunning the engine.
    -I know it's controversial, but a 15,000km service interval isn't exactly nice for engine health.
    -Constant lugging as Vijay has mentioned.
    -Bumper to bumper traffic. etc

1 person likes this.
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Jerky engine before turbo spooling

Lately, I have been started facing a minor (sometimes major) problem in my 22k run Punto 1.3MJD. The problem is like this
    If I hold accelerator, in first, second and third gear, at around 1400-17000 RPM and hold it there, car starts jerking as if engine is not getting proper fuel or air. I checked air filter, also got fuel filter checked in TASS, still this problem is persisting. And it gets normal on its own sometimes but most of the times Iam facing this. Thou after 4th gear there is nothing abnormal, just 1st 2nd & 3rd gear are effected. Actually, car feels strained till turbo is spooled and cars starts pulling swiftly post 2000RPM. Its just the torque curve which is getting jerky. Can anybody give any pointers ? Is bad fuel could be culprit here ? Taking my Punto to TASS tomorrow once again but need some suggestions for specific areas to look into.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

So today got my Punto checked at TASS and like always, everything is fine. Car too behaved normally :-|
    Anyways, all well that ends well.
    1 person likes this.
  10. gurjinder

Did they by any chance clean the EGR?