1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Srini

Srini Regolare

Narayan, I have experiences with VST. There are several SE who are good, but they have the age old tradtion of VST alike TVS service. You know what I am referring to. Also, they do not allow you to ask for the engineer the first time. If one guy starts looking into your car, you can ask for him the next time. However, try your luck..
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    i also had a similar (not sure if it is the same thing) valve with a tube replaced under warranty. they call it electro valve. what it does is it regulates the vaccum created in the fuel tank when fuel is used. mine made a tik-tik noise so they changed it but it is still the same. the symptoms are some what similar to what you have described. the car's power delivery is not consistent, sometimes it vrooms and sometimes it feels like the car is out of breathe. mine is a petrol though.
  3. Sam

Sam Amatore

Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter

I have few queries about engine oil and various filters. My baby's 15k service will be due soon and I believe as part of the service some components like Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Pollen filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Brake Pads etc needs to be replaced. However are Tata service centers well equipped with genuine of those.

I remember visiting Galaxy Motors Goregaon (W) (pretty decent new Fiat TATA ASS) and enquired about the Engine Oil they use to top up. To my surprise the attendant didn’t even knew what Selenia means. He said if they want to top up engine oil on any MJD they generally go for Synthetic 5W40 (or similar) oils generally Castrol and it works :(</SPAN></SPAN> I belive our cars are factory prefilled with Selenia. Can same grade Castrol be mixed with it?

Then on one other instance I told these guys to change the Air Filter. To my surprise they didn't had one for Punto in stock but had Vista's and were trying to see if that works. I refused and told them at least to clean it.

I also remember enquiring about engine coolant. That guy came up with a box on which Red Mix was written but no mention of its usage etc. and definitely not Selenia one. He quoted 250 for it and said generally they use this to top up coolant.

Hence now I am little worried about the genuinity of the material they use those of which are needed for proper functioning of car.

I am curious to know your experiences, opinions and advice on all of these.

4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Same grade or even different grade oil can be mixed with Selenia.

Punto/Vista/Linea/Manza have same air filter with different outside packaging i.e. the box.
    Same is the case with Oil Filter/Fuel Filter.

For coolant always use Paraflu UP and as far as I have seen almost all TASS uses Paraflu Up only.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Buddy il b really frank with u.Dont trust TASS when it comes to engine oil.They buy drums of Castrol oil from the company and fill it in empty selenia cans and do the oil change and bill you by the can rate of Selenia.Castrol is no where close to selenia in quality terms.I was goin to be a victim of this but at the ryt moment i was saved.Either insist on Sealed cans or do the oil change from outside with the oil of ur choice.Selenia is semi-synthetic.Change oil filter too when u go for a oil change.You can try Mobil 3000 Fully synthetic 5w40 Rs850 per litre.Or u can try shell helix ultra 5w40.If u want the air filter then u can buy it from KAVA Automobiles,Opera house.Mr.VijaySheth 9833606750.They stock original FIAT spare parts.

Also if u feel coolant level is low u can top up at home by pouring in distilled water to get it to the max level.Regarding coolant,FIAT recommends PARAFLU which is orangish in color.You can buy the can off shelf from TASS for Rs280/-

TASS can only do jhol in engine oil but they stock original parts,no need to worry on those counters.Just if ur opting for an oil change in TASS itself,be sure ur gettin it done in front of ur eyes.Oil is where their margins are.They should know ur aware of their tactics :-D They would say "Sir selenia ka drumms hai..lekin hum dikha nahi sakte" this is their usual excuse.If u smell a rat then get the oil change done outside.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. Sam

Sam Amatore

Thanks buddy! Do you think it makes sense to flush existing engine oil and then top up with the ones you recommended?
  7. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

When u say flushing,it means ur using a reputed brand like STP/OWS/ABRO i.e diesel with additives n detergents to clean ur crankcase of unwanted sludge deposits.When was ur last oil change?? I would recommend flushing.Buy the flush can it costs Rs250/-.Empty the whole can to ur existing oil and race the engine for 15mins on neutral.DO NOT DRIVE.Race it till 3-4.5k rpm.Shut off the engine after 15mins and let it cool down for 20mins.Then drain old oil and pour in new oil.DO NOT MIX 2 DIFFERENT ENGINE OILS even if they are of the same grade.
  8. Sam

Sam Amatore

Yes I am talking about real flush with flushing agents/fluids (like ones you mentioned). It's first time I am going for oil change of my Punto. But I am now wondering how should I get the oil flushed. Should I buy material and tell SC guys to flush and change it in front of me or should I go to local mechanic?

BTW, do you guys see any way of getting a genuine Selenia engine oil from somewhere?
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanx Srida for posting image related to problem related to poor acceleration & no ECU error.

I think my 75 bhp also suffering the same problem. I have exchanged my FGT because of this weired problem.
    This is useful for my new 90 HP. Tommorow taking deleivery of my VGT beast.
  10. Hello Srida,
    Nice to know that your problem was resolved..Unfortunately from my office the link of the picture is not accessible (I will try to check this once i reach home)
    And as i am into the profession of ECU software development, I would like to share some insight on this problem..

First as written by Srida about ECU getting RESET over Battery disconnection. This is a mis conception. As soon as the ECU detects any problems, it writes it into memory which is not erasable on power-off. provided you are not disconnecting the battery when the engine is running..(you allow the engine to shut down, then wait for a few minutes and you can disconnect the Batery)

Secondly, from the explanation of the boost pressure : Boost pressure is the intake air pressure. From you explaination of boost pressure being limited to 900 means that the intake pressure was not building up as it should do in accordance with the increase in engine speed. which means the turbo is not able to pump enough air to the engine...this is the obvious behavior when there is no sufficient air(oxygen to burn fuel : low power : low acceleration).

Third : I am just guessing what has a Vacuum pressure leak relation to Turbo charger. My guess is that this is some kind of a pnuematic arrangement to change the turbine blade positions in a VGT (Varible Geometry Turbine). And in general the neutral position for such a turbine would be such that VGT has no effect, or the waste gate open, to avoid any damages to intake due to pressure build up.

Another point : Yes, ECU does some learning on its own..but many people assume that ECU will adjust itself for everything. This is not TRUE !!!

I am really eager to see the picture from your post. I will check if i can find the same hose in my Punto 75 HP. Just to confirm that I am guessing right !!!