1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Engine

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ysapre, Jul 8, 2010.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

All ears on this thread. Please update what service center finds.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I was told once that if RPM rises without acceleration, it is a sign of clutch slipping. And that the clutch slave cylinder should be examined.

Srida, I think that you should avoid disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 30 mins as it will reset the ECU. While this may solve the problem, any fault error recorded by the ECU might get erased.

If you can do this, it would be better. Take car to TASS when you are free. Ask him to go on a TD and show the symptoms. Then request him to connect the OBD scanner and look for any error codes.

After that discuss and know his opinion. You are try ECU resetting at TASS by disconnecting negative terminal and then retrying.

Or just let the SA handle the issue. Go to a good TASS even if you have to travel a bit more.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    How come A pedal getting feedbacks . I always thought it is drive by wire which means there is no mechanical link from A pedal to motor.
  4. I had experienced a similar issue on my friend's maruthi esteem. Worst, we were all coming back from a trek at the K.Gudi forest. The problem started near the forest exit and the nearest A.S.S was 85km away. Somehow managed to go for 15km at a speed of 10kmph. I was the one driving and even if I would engage the first gear and release the clutch in a snap, the car wouldn't just move. We towed the car through an APE 3-wheeler all the way to mysore and dropped the car in the A.S.S.
    The problem was that, the clutch placing (or that's what we were told by the SA) had ripped off. It was repaired in a day and the bill came up to around 2.5K. However, I must admit that the car's odo read 48000km when this happened. IMO, this was a wear and tear associated with time on the esteem. I believe that this shouldn't happen with a car that's just run for 1800km. Must be a sensor/ECU issue as others have suggested.

Nevertheless, have the clutch placing checked.
  5. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    @Paddleshifter, did you read what srida said. He is saying his car shows Rpm 2500 at 60kmph in 5th gear!!! Someting wrong in mapping thats what i think. What do you think YB?? @srida, please dont remove negative terminal as PS said, it'll remove the errors log. Let SA scan your car with OBD scanner.
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Paddleshifter is right.There's sumthin wrong the CSC or with the clutch plate.Get it checked buddy at TASS with the OBD scanner and get the report and post it here on TFI.Also if u can fill diesel from another pump and check.
  7. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Could it be becuase of clogged Air Filter? I remember couple of months back when my car clocked 5k I saw some drop of power.
  8. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Srida, please do post back the details after you visit T.A.S.S, btw which serivice center are you planning to take this to?
  9. Leak in a tube which maintains the vaccum pressure for the Turbo.

A Happy Ending FIAT'ians. My Punto boy is Back to Rocket Mode. I thought of disconnecting the battery terminals but thought if ECU is reset then would be a problem to troubleshoot. So I didn't. In the morning I took my Car to the Concord Service Center, Ambattur but nobody was there to attend me so took My car to office since I had to be there early. Called to the Service Adviser of VST, Anna Salai and told him the problem. He said bring the care early evening at 4:00 PM. On the way to my office the Car was behaving a lil better than yesterday but not the right way. I reached the SC at 4:00 exactly and met the SA Mr. Anil Kumar. He assigned a Service Engineer for a Road test. By the time this guy took the car for a drive, the car started behaving more better but still the engine noise was louder. He said everything was right. Might be you cud have taken the car thro water and that is the problem and all sort of nonsense. I was not convinced and then He said Ok I will ask some one to scan the ECU using the Examiner. He pointed out to another Service Engineer Murali. He connected the Examiner and scanned the ECU. Asked me if this problem is not consistent and is like comes and goes at its own time. I said yes. He showed me a field named "booster measurement" in the ECU Examiner which had a value between 800 - 900 when A Pedal is pressed to the extreme. Then He opened the hood and fixed some cable and came back and had a look at the scanner and said the issue is fixed Sir. You can have a drive. I was like 'Should I believe or not ?' He himself took it for a drive and said everything is fine. I asked him for the details. He said the tube from some reservoir which maintains the vacuum pressure for the TruboCharger had a leak [not in the slot properly]. He put it in and then it was OK. I asked him to do it again. So he removed the cable and again showed me the Booster Measurement with was ~900 when the A Pdeal is pressed hard. He fixed the cable and then the value shooted up to 1500. He said this is the measurement for the Turbo. Since the Tube was not in its slot the Vacuum Pressure was leaking and that was the problem. Experts could shed more light on this. I asked him the car felt better in the morning and when coming to SC it was more better. He said the ECU gets adjusted automatically in some 4 or 5 hours and that is why you could not reproduce the problem in the morning and now. He also said the new changes will make changes to the ECU, So the fell will be better than now tomorrow. I have to check it. But the Car is really a Rocket Now. Am happy. I will upload the Pic of the tube he adjusted later. TFI is dead slow and I am struggling to post this message. If you are reading this message then My struggle for getting my Car fixed and Posting here is OVER. I am not able to upload the pic of the tube too. Will do it once TFI is up normal. Tips to Mods/Admin : might be the tube from some reservoir which maintains the vacuum pressure for the TruboCharger of the TFI Server has a leak. get it checked. LOL :p
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Srida.. very happy to know that the problem is resolved successfully :):)