1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minimalist Photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by J Ravi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    What you have quoted is the original.

The edited photo is minimalist, because -

1. The odd trees in the right edge are removed
    2. The horizon is lowered, including inside the car windows
    3. The single tree is cropped a bit to reduce dominance
    4. The entire picture, except the car is converted to B&W

Rajan
  2. Sheen

Sheen Timido

Bangalore
    But, the tree still competes with the Beetle!

Well, which is the primary subject - the black-n-white tree or the Yellow Beetle?

P.S: Don't mistake me; I'm still a learner in photography - so, please do enlighten me. Thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sure. I am glad you are asking questions and not assuming that I am trying to show off. True the tree does dominate, which is the reason, I converted that to B&W. The effort was to make the yellow stand out. I also removed the tree completely, but did not like the outcome. I felt the tree actually helps draw focus to the car. Also, please consider the size of the tree in comparison to the size of the car.

Try this - Show the picture to anyone who has never seen it before, for exactly 1 second. Then ask them what they saw. If they say Yellow Car, then the picture is a success. Try the same with other pictures on this thread and see for yourself. Some of them are great, some are not that great. After all, it is a learning process for all of us. If I come across as arrogant and am trying to take an "holier that thou" attitude, I apologize. That is never the intention. By nature, I am a bit outspoken and that sometimes makes people uncomfortable.

If I post something incorrect related to a car, wouldn't people who know better jump in and correct me?

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    As a teacher I should say the art of learning is through pain. These discussions are the real tools to understand and learn better way.
    Now come back to the first picture and your picture I have the following observation. Look at the sky in the first picture it simply looks like emerging from the Linea. Look at the tree it being bended towards right simply go in line with those radial lines that emerging out from Linea. So in fact even though Linea looks smaller here compared to tree the very surrounding brings all focus to it. A similar picture has been posted by ramjn in his thread, a photo taken by Guruswamy. Had it been the sky in your picture and if the tree was vertical then I would have two thoughts about the first picture. But with the above argument I feel that first one also qualify for the thread title.
    3 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The first picture is a really good picture Sunil. There is no argument about that. The main problem is the tree line in the horizon, which tends to take the attention away. Please look at the pictures in the link posted by Mr. J.Ravi. There will be no distractions whatsoever. I also mentioned, that the picture I posted could have been better. Problem with that picture is, it was shot by someone else and I felt it would make a good minimalist picture and did some amount of processing. Please do not compare it with Mr. J.Ravi's picture. Compare it with it's own original copy and you will see what difference is there.

I am nowhere claiming to be a photography expert or even a professional. I am only trying to share what I know, so everyone can benefit. As a matter of fact, there are few other pictures in this thread that are really not minimalist, but I did not want to say anything, as the brickbats had already started. I was of the opinion that a discussion forum is a platform where people discuss various things and expect applause and criticism for what they say. Sadly, looks like I am wrong.

I am quite open to people disagreeing with me and respect their decision. However, unwarranted sly and cowardly remarks are uncalled for, I feel.

Rajan
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    The black n white picture of beetle is very poorly done. My attention is drawn to the light green patch left out around the rear tyres and everywhere around the car in patches. It's a very poor color fx job IMHO. Instead of the car or the grass my attention is drawn only to the badly done editing.

Sorry, if I m a little outspoken, but I guess you can edit it again so I can accept that picture in this "competition" (Or whatever this thread is about):rolleyes:
    2 people like this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I thought this is knowledge sharing. Wonder why you call it competition.

Rajan
  8. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Welcome.

If its not a competition, then I m sure we need not have "Judges" .
    2 people like this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Who is judging anything? Is every TD report we post in the forum a judgement? Isn't that just an opinion?

BTW, why am I being *judged*?

Rajan
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Rajan, I am not at all against your attitude infact I could learn little bit because of the argument. But what my argument was that the tree felt like trying to complement the main subject in whatever way it could. It would have taken the attention more if it were vertical. May be I am wrong or may be trying to defend myself. I need to see more photos and read some more about it to convince myself.

Going to home town, not taking laptop. So will join after coming back. :)
    1 person likes this.