1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minimalist Photography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by J Ravi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Here is my contribution:
    022.jpg
    7 people like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

What is minimalist?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks for the links Mr. J.Ravi. I think shadowfax is actually asking "what is minimalist about the picture you have posted?". If not, then he can follow the links you have posted and understand what minimalist photography is.

Having said that, I beg to differ with you as far as this picture is concerned. In this picture, obviously the Linea is the primary suject, but is overwhelmed by the treeline in the horizon and clouds in the sky. Most minimalist pictures either have a plain background or have some regular pattern in the background - The lonely man seated in the stadium, being a classic example.

In your picture, I also feel that the single tree adds to the chaos and competes to be the subject. Please consider this as constructive criticism. I am no way a professional photographer and am not trying to find fault with your picture. As a matter of fact, I am glad that you have taken the effort to start individual threads for different shooting styles, which will not only help keep the pictures organized into logical groups, but will also prove as a wealth of resource for budding photographers in the TFI fraternity. God, I wish I had my camera.

Here is some reading that will help understand the concept of minimalist photography.

Here is one amateur attempt at minimalist photography from my collection, shot way back in 2007

minimalist.jpg

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    3 people like this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    I still think that my photograph comes within the definition of minimalist photography. We will agree to disagree.
    Neither am I.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    3 people like this.
  6. hmm interesting thread....here i have nothing to contribute! never knew something like this actually existed... :D but i'll definitely follow this thread and learn!
    1 person likes this.
  7. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

i agree with Harsh...
    1 person likes this.
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Just from the definition learned now this looks like OK. Please correct me if you differ. This is a learning site for most of us.
    DSC02784.JPG
    4 people like this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh yes. This surely does qualify. A longer shot would have been awesome. Incidentally, guess this would also be a good fit in the reflections thread :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. It is encouraging. Let me confess here little bit of adjustment done. There was a portion of a boat on left top corner which had been removed for fitting in to the theme.