1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mini TFI meet+Linea & Punto getting seat covers- Need help!!

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by PaddleShifter, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    MODS- Sorry for starting a new thread. I will request you to delete this post#1 and move Post#2 onwards to the seat covers thread later. We are short on time and need urgent help. :ban

First about the TFI meet, or well, sort of TFI meet. There has not been a single TFI meet from this region so at least 2 members meeting can be considered as the first ever TFI meet from Chandigarh. Below text is just about the today's happenings. If you are not interested in this then kindly proceed to post#2 of this thread and answer the queries. :anyone

Today I met another TFI member from Chandigarh (username; drmanraj). The meet was scheduled to take place in Sector-28, Chandigarh.
    Reason: Both of us want to get seat covers done in my Punto and his Linea. Plus, DrManraj wants to add amp+sub to the pathetic speakers.

It was easy to find DrManraj as all I needed to do was to spot a BNW FIAT Linea. :) (The advantage of owning a FIAT).

Impression 1: 2010 model FIATs have even more crappier speakers. His 2009 model Linea has comps in the front (i.e. the ones with tweeters as well or 6 speaker system). From 2010 onwards, newer FIATs come only with 4 speakers, no tweeters. I must say that his Linea sounds 10 times better. ::T

Now, we headed to a local car accessory shop for seat covers inquiry. He showed us Autofoam seat covers for Linea besides some other types.

SHOP 1: Basically, we came to know that there are 2 types of seat covers based on the fitting pattern:

1. Skin fit/Bucket fit- These are fitted with some special technique to give the best fitting. Fitting does not get disturbed for long and looks better. Con- the OEM seat covers get damaged because of the needles etc inserted into them.
    2. Simple fitting where seat covers are just worn by the seat like we wear clothes.

Cost for Linea: Rs 7000.

We asked him a few questions and he got agitated at 4-5th question. We decided to leave.

SHOP 2: This is a small shop where they tailor stitch all seat covers. The guy assured us that he will re-create the Autofoam seat covers for us. He showed us the material available and gave us a sample. We showed the sample material to another shop owner. He confirmed that the material is from some manufacturer called "Mayur" and the quality is good.

Cost for Linea Rs4000 and for Punto Rs3200.

A STRANGE THING about installers in Chandigarh is that no one is willing to do the door trim of Linea as DrManraj is interested in getting the door trim done as well.

Now comes the third & funniest part- ICE.
    We were sitting inside the Linea thinking about ICE of his Linea. Suddenly my voice changed. It was because of a woofer being played from a nearby Manza. We got out of the Linea and approached 3 big Punjabi guys and talked to the owner. Here is the conversation.

Now, we talked to the installer. He assured us that he won't cut any wires and warranty would be intact. He suggested Alpine amplifier+Pioneer sub.

Cost of Alpine Amp ~Rs2900
    Cost of Pioneer Sub~Rs3200
    Wiring ~Rs700
    Labour ~Rs400
    Amp will power on and off with the ignition key.

Finally we decided to call it a day and left for our home.
    Now, I will post some queries in my next post.
  2. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Mini TFI meet+Linea & Punto getting seat covers- Need he

Now, we have a few queries. I had a look at the seat covers thread before putting it up here.

1. Is it advisable to get skin fitting done (where they put wires through your seats for best fit as per the installer) or should we restrict ourselves to normal seat covers where they just put on the seat covers??

2. Should we get the original fabric seat covers removed or just ask them to put new ones over them? He says old covers will be useless after skin fit method.

3. Punto original seat covers are good looking with those Ps stitched on them. In case I opt for getting them removed, will I be able to use them in future if I want to get the stock look back?

4. No one is willing to do the door trims. Does any TFI member have any idea if this is an impossible feat? What are the challenges while doing the door trim, in case you happened to view the installer at work in your case?

5. ART LEATHER quality- Does anyone know if art leather seat covers start smelling badly in the car? How about Autofoam art leather vs tailor made art leather seat covers?
    Both of us want to go for the tailor made stitched seat covers but are afraid of any issues regarding smell or related issues.
    What do you guys advice?

We need to decide quick as tuesday is when DrManraj is giving his Linea for service. We need to decide by that time.
  3. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

Hey Yashik, Come to delhi, we will have a mini meet and get the covers and speakers for you :up
  4. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Thanks Mr. Ansal. :) Sure I would love to come to Delhi. Chandigarh is a poor city in terms of accessories availability.
    No one stocks Hertz, MTX etc. Only JBL, Pio, Infinity, Boston are famous here.
    Installer told us that there are no MTX and Hertz service center is located in Chandigarh so no point getting those brands.
  5. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

1 & 2 & 3. Skin fit covers would give you the best overall fitting. Getting them would involve taking out the original ones and sorry, you wont be able to put them back again. So if you go ahead, thers no looking back.
    Normal seat covers would go on top of ur existing ones (would be cheaper) and wont destroy ur original look. Lacks the exquisite finish of the skin fit, but if proper care is taken, they can do the work as well.

4. Its not impossible, many people at TFI have got them done (no personal experience), an experienced installer would be able to do them properly.
    5. Depends on the quality. Candigarh is not that hot nyways, so if u choose the right quality, then no probs with that.
  6. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Does that mean that skin fitting is done after removing the original seat covers only?
    The installer said that there is no need of removing the original seat covers.
    We need to be absolutely certain of facts as Chandigarh isn't a good place to get a FIAT opened up for such works.

That Manza owner said, "baai tension nai layi di. Jadon paise de rahe hain taan tension kam karan waale te chhad do. Aape kar ke dayuga" (English translation- bro, dont take tension. You are paying him money so let him take the tension. He will do it on his own). ::V
  7. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

Sorry, not 100% sure bout taking out the original ones. Will have to get it confirmed from people who have got it done.
  8. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Some pics of the seat covers.
    Beige= for Linea
    Black= for Punto

IMAGE_301.jpg

IMAGE_305.jpg

IMAGE_302.jpg

IMAGE_307.jpg
  9. drmanraj

drmanraj

chandigarh

First of all thanks Paddleshifter for posting all the details which we discussed across today when we met. :wow

Few points wanna add up on that list==

SEAT COVER ISSUES --- 1. which is better tailor stiched bucket type seat covers or company made and then fitting done in bucket type.
    2.if one knows any guy whose expert in linea door trim fabric covered by seat cover material , do PM me.As right now no one IS willing to do that job in chandigarh.Also i am afraid of any rattling that might occur after door drim fabric job. :A
    3.planning to do seat cover job done as per stock fabric design( in terms of contours and design). any suggestions whether it ll look nice or not.
    4.is additional foam padding required for extra contour or no need.

ICE QUERY - 1. dealer told to install sub woofer 14 " poineer , alpine amp , and components.cost break up already told in previous threads. (approx 9 - 10 k )
    but do give suggestion whether just changing speakers might serve purpose or components must .
    2. and people who have ICEd linea- is there need for additional damping to be done .
    3. how about goin for bass tube instead of woofer. :anyone
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

Yashik,

Ansal has answered most of the queries above. And I tend to agree. If the installer is good, you can have absolutely spotless finish even without removing your original seat covers. I got it stitched & the guy asked me if I want to remove the original seat covers. I asked him what if I do not remove it - how will be the fitting/ finishing of your art leather covers? He said it won;t be a problem & even if original covers are not removed, there won;t be any loose fitting/ spot. I agreed & came back with my car. He stitched the covers, came to my office & it took them only 20-30 minutes to fit the covers on top of the original covers. There is not a single loose spot.

I think it was better because it was tailor-stitched. May be the measurements were perfect.

I've been using this art leather covers for close to 2 years now. There is no issue of smell or heat.

I did not prefer Door trims in my Linea as I did not want them to open the door :mrgreen: . Heck, I don't even want TASS to open the door :mrgreen: