1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Military trucks!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by clash81, Jun 20, 2012.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I have been watching these Tatra trucks that ply on C.V.Raman Nagar road here in Bangalore and i notice that they have their tyres slightly inclined inwards. Why is it so?

If my question is not clear, see the pic. tatra1.jpg
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That is the camber angle. It is usually positive or negative slightly to offset the load , ie, in most of the cases, the wheel will come to normal position when the truck is fully loaded. You might have seen this same thing in APE goods autos as well. i havent seen so much of a camber angle in any vehicle..
    1 person likes this.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    oh.. yes, man. Bingo! I have noticed Ape but never correlated it with the Tatra trucks. Thank you for that analogy. When fully loaded, how do the wheels get back to normal position? If you can enlighten me.
  4. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i m not pretty well in explaining man !!! google.. you ll find tonnes of articles on this camber, castor , toe in/out ...its a nice read !
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Cool, will do that. :)
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    @clash81

Where do u work? Bagmane tech park?
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    No, i stay in Kodihalli and my office is in Manyata tech park - Hebbal. enroute to office i see these trucks.
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    A quick explanation on Camber/Castor/Toe-in etc.

Camber helps in handling load as well as reduce steering effort. A tilted wheel is easy to steer.

Castor and Toe-in / Toe-out helps in directional stability and self centering.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I did notice the same on APE diesel auto rickshaws and was wondering what was the engineering behind this.. Now i got the answer.
  10. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    I remember when TATA sumo got released, a rumor that its wheels also had some capabilities like this. Anyway, i spent many moons checking the inclination in TATA sumo's wheels and never could spot such a thing.

Can anyone list other commercial/personal vehicles that have this particular wheel inclination other than APE?