1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mileage problem in Avvy Diesel - EDIT - Desired Mileage achieved

Discussion in 'Technical' started by VeeKey, Sep 1, 2015.

1. VeeKey

VeeKey Timido

Mohali
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Friends, I have purchased 1.3 Diesel Avventura top variant, just one month back. I was driving a petrol car before it and driving a diesal car for the very first time. I have drove it for 2600 kms so far. Its is an awesome car with good stability and amazing looks but I am facing low milage problem.
    Its giving not more than 12km/Lt in city condition and 14.5 kms/l (speed between 70-90@1500-2000rpm on highway. No difference even in AC off condition!
    They have cleaned its filters twice in service centre (Fiat Mohali, Punjab) and still same condition. Now they said that it will improve after first service @15000. Which I don't believe.

Please suggest some solutions.
    Also had noise problem in stepni wheel, after a bad road ride. Although it got fixed.
    Thanks in advance.

IMG_20150816_093511.jpg
    abhinav_nani likes this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @VeeKey

The workshop is right. The mileage generally starts improving after the first scheduled service at 15K where the filters and oils are changed. I would suggest not to worry about the mileage at so early stage of ownership. Have faith in the MJD. My Punto is now 2 yrs old and is returning a healthy mileage of 20 kmpl in city and 24 kmpl on highways.
  3. VeeKey

VeeKey Timido

Mohali
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks@ghodlur.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @VeeKey

Yes, mileage will definitely improve post 10k or 15k. Also, if you've been driving in the hills a lot....the mileage is not bad at all.

Are you sure your gear shifting, especially upshifting and the avoidance of unnecessary downshifts if your speed is high enough, is well-enough in-sync with the turboboost band? Adjustments to that (matching revs better) could yield you even better mileage?
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @VeeKey .Well to me it seems you are not in the turbo zone even when driving sedately. You need to change gears 2k rpm upwards for best mileage. Besides you are lugging the engine @ 1500 rpms. Its too low my brother even on plain roads. 1.5 - 2 K RPMs are not MJDs strength. 70-100 is fine enough speeds if you are in right gears. But you wont see 70 in 5th gear @ 1.5 K rpms.

It can get bothersome I know. Learn to drive around the lag and be in the turbo zone as much as possible. That's the trick for best mileage. There are folks in forum and some more I know personally have been extracting more the 20 KMPL. I struggled with the same issue for close to 8 months when my mileage never seemed to go beyond 15 KMPL. Now am getting more than 17 KMPL in city and more than 20 KMPL on freeways. Last 6 months my average would be around 18 KMPL.

And rest assured mileage will go up once you have the 15 K service as most fluids would be changed then making the car a lot more smoother.
    kishorekrs, abhinav_nani and VeeKey like this.
  6. VeeKey

VeeKey Timido

Mohali
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @nibedk and @prabhjot Thanks a lot bro for your very detailed suggestions. I think it may be the cause. I will try driving as suggested and wait for the result after first service. Will share my feedback
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @VeeKey : Bro as everyone said, dont worry about the FE. It will get better on its own as you would crunch more miles. Regardless of that you can follow the following practices to make your FE better:

1) Turn off your engine if you are waiting for more than 30 seconds in a traffic signal.
    2) Drive at steady speeds and at lower RPMs. Eg 50-60 km/hr in 5th gear @ around 1600 RPM. I know its quite difficult to do this in the traffic.
    3) Try to use the clutch pedal while shifting gears only.
    4) Maintian the correct tyre pressure as prescribed by Fiat.
    5) Avoid sudden acceleration and braking.
    VeeKey and Deepak like this.
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Veekay,we would love to hear more about your car and your experience with the car.Please share by starting your ownership thread.
    Thanks.
    VeeKey likes this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Is this advisable since the turbo needs a minimum cooling time and warm up time which may be insufficient during the traffic signal halts? There are actually two views to this - one who advocate engine switch off to save fuel and the other which avoid engine switch off to avoid early turbo failure. Open to discussion.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    This is prescribed by FCA. Would attach the whole driving tips doc here.