1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Microsoft SYNC (FORD cars) vs Microsoft Blue&Me (FIAT cars)

Discussion in 'Blue and Me' started by PaddleShifter, May 26, 2013.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FORD's upcoming car/mini SUV Ecosport has a very interesting feature. Its the so called SYNC. Nothing new for FIAT owners though. It's another attempt by Microsoft (this time in collaboration with Ford) after making Blue&Me system in partnership with FIAT.

Both are essentially the same. The primary function is to aid the driver in maintaining the focus on the road while there is an urgent communication to be made using the cell phone (This has been made illegal in India although cars are still approved by the RTO even if they have such systems. Need more clarity on it).

There are certain extra features with Microsoft Sync over Blue&Me.

• On most newer Windows phones, SYNC will read your incoming text messages out. This includes translating emoticons or commonly used abbreviations.
    • There are 15 stored SMS templates that can be sent out with a signature "This text was sent from my Ford". Don't know whether these templates can be edited or not. :p
    • Network's signal strength and phone's battery level are displayed on the MID.
    • If the driver/user wants to know why Sync didn't understand a particular name while giving the voice command, Sync can pronounce the contact's name, so that one knows how the Sync expects the name to be pronounced.
    • There is a list of ringtones to choose from rather than simple tring tring in case of Blue&Me.
    • SYNC can stream music from the phone if it supports A2DP music streaming.
    • SYNC will automatically dial 108 if an accident leads to airbag deployment or fuel pump cut off.

Lets see how good the SYNC from Ford turns out to be. But, I must say (and I have been saying this since 2010), Blue&Me is one buggy system because of the niggles (Admins please hide this post from dear moderator Italia_Linea :p ). Also, I fail to understand why doesn't all the features work as intended? Ford is making very good use of the SYNC whereas the Blue&Me was never properly marketed by FIAT to catch the attention of public in India.

1. SMS Reader works with only some of the 2005ish models of Sony Ericsson and Motorola phones. Some extremely rare recent generation phone will work with SMS Reader. There is no point teasing Fiat lovers with features that never work. :evilsmile
    2. EcoDrive application working only in Linea (understandable, due to some unknown technical reasons).
    3. Niggles, niggles.. Blue&Me stops working. Have to disconnect the negative terminal for 30mins.

Maybe, FIAT and/or Microsoft will improve the next update to make the SMS Reader compatible with some of the newer Windows phone at least (if not the androids).
    7 people like this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    @Doctor saab, well researched and comparison. Now that you have brought this up, I am wondering when was the last update from Microsoft on Blue n Me ?

on a side note : I believe FIAT should provide one legacy mobile to showcase that they indeed support their app!
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Except for point one, my B&M does not do anything else. If I can choose only one of the remaining features, it would most certainly be A2DP streaming music. Ideally, I should prefer 108 dialling, but given how our system works, I am not very confident that help will actually arrive, if the car calls 108 and when the call is answered, there is no one to give details as the people in that car have passed out :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Patchyboy what cellphone do you use that works with point one i.e. SMS Reader? :)
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I use Samsung Omnia W. It runs Windows Mango. There is a setting in the phone that allows one to turn on an in-built message reader, when bluetooth connection is active. With that setting, when a message comes in, the MID shows "Private Number" and I get a voice prompt that announces "Message from xxxxxx. You can say Read it or Ignore". If you say "Read it", then it reads the message and then prompts "You can say reply, call or I am done". If you say Reply, it allows you to dictate a message, if you say Call, it then calls the number from where the message came and if you say I am done, it disconnects the phone and resumes Music.

This feature is built into the Windows Phone and B&M only acts as a BT headset. The behaviour is the same, even if I connect my BT earpiece. So, technically, it is not a B&M feature :D

Rajan
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Yamboy

Yamboy Novizio

Trivandrum
    +1 to Paddleshifter on the comments about B&M. Fiat never marketed it strongly except some stickers on the rear windscreen of initial bacthes of Punto and Linea.
    FIAT, Look at one of the VW ad highlighting this feature alone !
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does SYNC has this feature, EcoDrive or something similar?

Which feature?
  8. Yamboy

Yamboy Novizio

Trivandrum
    The Bluetooth Phone connectivity, which is actually is just one of the many features of FIAT B&M.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

What tring Tring ??

Blue & Me plays any ringtone you want !!!!!
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That would again be a phone feature. What is the handset you use?

Rajan