1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Met With An Accident And Drove 1500km in That State

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by rusticnomad, Jul 13, 2017.

1. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Long Story Short:

Was on trip to native place to attend marriage of cousin with bootload of luggage and just me an wife. We had planned pit stop at Jhansi during onward journey for siteseeing - Jhansi and Orachha -- before moving on.

Just out from Jhansi to Kanpur, on 4 lane HW, a truck made three hits and here's the sequence of evens

• First hit near petrol lid. Car swerved and the sound of thud made me feel it was a tyre burst so did not apply brakes.
    • Then second hit on rear door breaking the glass, car swerved more and finally hit on driver door, car swerved back jumped the median and brakes were applied but it hit (just a kiss) the tyre of a stationary truck.
    • Everything got over in less than a minute -- start to finish
    Luckily there was a dhaba at walking distance so people came running. Asked if anyone was injured and we responded in the negative. One of the guy thought that I am dazed a bit so told us to get down from the car, give the keys and told us to have a rest at the Dhaba. He drove the car, came back and parked it and said everything is fine. Guys there said, had it been a Maruti or Hyundai, it wouldn't have survived to be driveable and most probably we would have had serious injuries too. They were all praise for FIAT and SKODA.

I opened the bonnet, everything looked fine
    Checked underneath for any oil leakages -- none
    Took a short drive to check for any wobbling, checked breaking. All fine. Again waited for half an hour and rechecked everything. All fine.

Finally decided that we will drive on -- destination still 500+ Km away. But, through a friend we were in touch with FASS at Kanpur. But friend said if the car is driving fine, don't leave here and take it back to Indore.

So, in the same condition, drove 500+ to reach destination. A Week later drove back 1000+ in same condition. Here are few pics in accidental (but drive-able) condition at destination

The first & second hit
    IMG_20170216_091759.jpg

All hits before it jumped the median
    IMG_20170216_091720.jpg

Frontal hit when it finally stopped just kissing the tyre of a stationary truck
    IMG_20170216_091743.jpg

Drove back and went through all the replacements, painting etc. One tyre cut was not entertained by the insurance. Small cut on two fins of the alloy got a new alloy wheel. So now have 5 alloys. Since servicing was due, got the servicing also adjusted in the bill :)

Total damage: 1.05 -- Bonnet, right fender, bumper,both doors, grills, right headlamp assembly, right orvm replaced
    Petrol Lid area - denting.
    Runner board area - denting.
    Zero Dep Insurance so all covered.
    Car is back and running as smooth as ever.

35 years of driving, and took the first hit as a result of a drunk truck driver who hit and then disappeared. Not sure what he was trying.

Me and wife -- not even a single minor scratch. Needless to say, I don't drive without seat-belts on. All's well that ends well.
    This happened In Feb 2017.

2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Good to know that you along with your wife were safe @rusticnomad . Accident looks horrendous.
    We don't praise Fiats build quality just like that. :)

On a lighter note, seems February 17 was a bad month for Tjets; mine also faced an accident in February.

Tushar Mishra and rusticnomad like this.
  3. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Mine was around 13:00 hrs 15th Feb.

Fiat's website shows no price details. Wonder if they are still making it or have fully shifted to upcoming Jeep?
    This accident made me think, why not buy one MJD also, but if they have stopped production, then will look at Skoda.

pabhishek likes this.
  4. Kaushal Singh

Kaushal Singh Timido

Faridabad Haryana
    Linea 1.3
    Looks like a terrible accident, it's just amazing that everyone walked unhurt. Kudos to you for choosing to drive after the incident.

Seeing the car do what it was meant to do well, makes me proud to be a Linea owner . I think every Fiat owner who decides to go against the mass mentality should be proud as well.

KPR, Tushar Mishra, Ravi_M and 2 others like this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Even I am so tempted to but an Abarth once I am back to India, but mind says to put money in an automatic or a 4wd. Will see what can be done !

Ravi_M and rusticnomad like this.
  6. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Nice to see that you were safe. I would not have let any one drive, at an unknown place, without me.
    which insurance is your car on? I was with Reliance and they took 10% of all metal parts replaced as dumping charges, despite being bumper to bumper insurance. Moved from reliance in the next renewal.

rusticnomad likes this.
  7. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    United India Insurance. Yes, every one takes 7 to 10% off from the bill as salvage (or dumping as it is called in your case) charge.
    So, to cover for that loss, I insisted for a new Alloy -- though the two small cuts on fins are ok -- and told the FASS to cover servicing charges in the bill itself. So, now have 5 Alloys. I was contesting for tyre replacement too, but the surveyor did not budge :)

Mass mentality stuff wouldn't have survived on jumping the median, in all probability would have rolled over. Guys who gathered at accident spot were amazed at the way the vehicle survived, started and pulled back. Every damaged /partly damaged part held it's position for 1500+ km drive after the accident.

One interesting story: While on return, we stopped at a Dhaba for brunch after Sagar. The owner looked at the car from quite a distance and asked -- Linea? I said yes. Then he walked with us to the car and said only this could have saved you. Then he took us to his backyard and showed one fully covered vehicle. Said, that's Linea of his son, who works at Sukhoi MRO and had bought in Pune. The car rolled over three times on a ghat section in his son's attempt to save a lady. Car was damaged but his son walked out with bruises. No fractures, no major injury.

Now this is what is pushing me to MJD :)

8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Thank god that you were safe, and for the thread asking if this is the right time to buy a fiat,here is the answer.

9. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Confused. Did you mean MJD? Or What is MJD's advantage over TJet in this case?

10. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    Yup.
    We need another car.
    T-Jet will stay till EOL.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017 ---
    Forgot to mention, the guy (2 guys in fact) was in Etios (had overtaken them around 10 minutes prior to accident) and so he had parked his Etios at the Dhaba, before coming to us as we were on the other side of the median.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017