1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Messed up steering with TASS

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by prabusp, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hi friends,

I gave my vehicle to TASS for the scheduled 5 K service. I believed everything went fine, until i found that my steering has lost its centering in the alignment performed by that TASS :A I did the service at TAFE Reach, when i pointed this to Tensingh , he told me to get it back to workshop and yesterday i went and it was a trial and error process to rectify the cross in steering which was 1.5 degrees were corrected by alignment person by doing the alignment 5 times putting it in the bay and driving it out for trial.

Still the problem is not rectified if the keep the steering straight with respect to fiat logo in center the vehicle moves to left. Now i was told that there is a uneven tyre wear in the left tyre and the wheel alignment guy told me that the tyres have to be rotated in front , left to right and right to left and that would solve the problem. I have already rotated the tyres in 5K service

Folks could you throw some light that a mere tyre rotation would fix the problem in the steering and uneven tyre wear ? Im planning to go to TASS again tomorrow morning. I also have this thought in my mind should i dump the TASS and go for a good alignment center to get it fixed.

A word of caution here for folks going to TAFE. i heard from the wheel alignment guy that off late 2012 Linea is giving such troubles. and he told my vehicle had been handled by apprentice who is learning the art of the job there. It was done away in his absence when he was in lunch. So 2012 folks please have a caution with respect to steering alignment. He himself told after my torture he will never allow those guys to touch a 2012 Linea, thats a relief.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Is yours Goodyear tyre? Because, this tyre is bit difficult to balance and need some skill.

Try with Ramesh Tyres, Velachery. They do neat job.
  3. @Ramjn, Yes its Good Year Eagle NCT 5 - Oh sure will try that. TASS had committed to resolve it tomorrow, even then i will be satisfied only if i roll few hundred kilometers and checked it outside, I will try with Ramesh Tyres. Thanks :)
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Did TASS rotated the tyres from front left to rear right (X pattern)? That's the usual way TASS rotates tyres. If it was so, get the tyres back to its original positions & check.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

My alignment was made perfect only at TAFE, so they have correct data, however seems like someone messed up somewhere. Do check at Ramesh Tyres.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

have you checked tyre pressure from a reliable tyre shop? Please ensure that tyre pressure is correct

another issue could be that the tyre rotation is not done correctly I.e. person doing rotation got confused between left and right while rotating

the wear and tear in tyre could be due to excessive negative camber in the front left. Did you check the alignment readings when the alignment was being done?

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

My view is that TASS is best equipped to handle these issues as Fiat cars have only toe adjustments possible