1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Meeting a long-lost friend : The Fiat Siena. Restoration on the cards.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Sagz, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    And now with the bodyworks.Here we go.
    The car is now getting ready to receive the four Ps: Patch,Putty,Primer and Paint:D.Prior to that the floor will get a fibre coat.

The bumpers,beadings and window glasses have been removed.With the absence of the rear quarter glass,the typical Fiat characteristic,the worker had sort of a tough time removing the full sized glasses from the doors.The bumpers are ready for putty work.The rear bumper has a crack at its lower lip which also needs to be dealt with.

The floor has been cleaned and washed for the application of fibre coat.It will need another wash as the car has picked up a hell lot of dust and dirt during its hibernation period in the warehouse.Also discussed with the mechanic about the underbody anti-rust coat.The patch,putty and seating for the new logos will proceed alongside.I had almost finalized on white paint shade when someone was waiting for me at the garage to confuse me once again: a gorgeous looking black Palio 1.9D.

Picture time!!
    With the front bumper removed,the massive front impact beam is revealed.One of the examples of Fiat's renowned tank-like build.This was just when I remembered seeing a Swift somewhere in the internet,with two thin pipes in place of the impact beams.
    The headlamps have been removed too.
    Thought of getting a new set of headlamps,tail lamps and wing mirrors at 99rpm and discussed the prices with the mechanic.But he is quite confident that he can source them locally at cheaper prices.
    DSC_0872.jpg DSC_0880.jpg
    Impact beams of the Swift:
    swift.jpg

The engine bay:
    The alternator hasn't been fitted yet.It will be done after the car leaves the paint shop.There is a problem with the steering rack too which will be addressed later.That along with the installation of the new rear suspension sums up the works on mechanical side.
    The diesel filter is now back in action.Note the new black tube connecting the filter with the engine.When the car came back from TN,it didn't have the filter in the fuel line!! The filter got clogged and then some genius mechanic in TN came up with a simple solution:Cut the filter out!!!:mad: DSC_0873.jpg

The front bumper removed:
    Those fog lamps belong to 2005 Toyota Corolla.Have been a relatively neat fit,though.Those were fitted about 4-5 years back.They will be replaced with new ones soon. DSC_0874.jpg

The rear bumper and window glasses removed: DSC_0875.jpg DSC_0882.jpg DSC_0881.jpg

The interiors being readied for the fibre coat:
    DSC_0877.jpg

And here is the black beauty I met today.Now I'm in real confusion whether to paint the car white or black.What say you guys?? Need suggestions:) DSC_0883.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    varoon9999 and prabhjot like this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Sagz, cutting the filter out reminded me of some garage owner suggesting me of bypassing a turbo on the Siena, for lack of sourcing it. So yes there are a huge no. of geniuses in our car industry. :hilarious:
    As far as color goes how about a Pearl or Vocal white. And one more suggestion, if possible try to source and use the Fiat Petra Boot lid. Looks better.
    prabhjot and Saket Sidana like this.
  3. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @asimpleson You have a Siena?
    I had considered Pearl white initially,but that was too costly an affair.When it comes to white,will a metallic shade make a real difference over plain white? I mean will it be worth?

Actually the thing is,somehow I have been bugged with the doubt that this car looks a bit taxi-ish in white (does it?:bored:)I have heard people say(mostly non-car people) that this looks like Indigo.Black looks good on Petra,so I thought it should be fine on Siena too.

If I change the boot,I'll have to change the bumper and tail lamps too.I guess that will push the cost too high.I really loved the Petra's spoiler though,but I have no idea where I can get one.It is not listed in 99rpm.

I had asked about the two.
    The Palio had met with an accident.The owner also had some issues with Mahindra finance over this car.Post the accident,he didn't find it worth spending more on the car.That is how this fate came upon the car.
    And for the Uno,it is unavailability of some spares is the culprit.The owner doesn't seem to be really interested in it,though.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes @Sagz a 2003 one with some minor changes improvements also carried over to Petra later. You should get a petra shaped boot in scrap market if you look hard. I can bet unless its deformed in major accident, it would work well. Yes some amount of modification would be needed to fit those petra tailights. But if you can do it, it would really enhance it's look.

The pearl white (fiat's original shade) will be completely worth it. You could also alternatively colour the roof in gloss black. There will not be much a difference in labour and cost at this stage given that the whole car is to be painted. Yes depending on the brand Sikkens or Standox and such or Duponts Axalta? you could maybe need a couple of thousand more, but then those paints also dont dull easily and really make the car standout in the crowd. That is if painted in a controlled environment or by an expert painter.

If you insist to shop the materials and paints from a reputed paint shop, you could get a good deal from them. Yes pearl white, (a bit on the warm-yellowish side) will look great and probably need no paper work at the RTO too.. ;)

Black could look nice, if only you can maintain it with good polish and aftercare needed to keep it in jet black condition.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    somethign which i always suggest when ever someone get the complete paint job done. Please do not put a paint on black claddings. It wont look good at all. Ask painter to mask it and keep it on original shape. First it kills the beauty and in long run that paint surface may crack.

Capture1.PNG
    varoon9999 likes this.
  6. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Things worked out pretty fast and the color and the paint scheme has now been finalized.Initially the paint bucket had the existing solid white shade,but then this black beauty pulled the paint bucket towards her side.Now it is neither white nor black,but somewhere in between - a dark shade of grey in metallic finish.
    Amidst the confusion,I remembered seeing a dark grey Palio in TFI's Fiat Photography thread.Checked it out immediately and I had my choice right there(posted by @SunnyBoi).I don't know whether this is a stock shade or an aftermarket one,but I totally love this.Not just me,the entire family said ok at the first sight. O0GEccD.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion:)To an extent I also agree with you but I think it isn't really right for us to judge its beauty.As they say,beauty is always in the eyes of the observer:DIn my opinion,the paint on the wing mirror flaps look a bit out of place,but the rest looked quite ok to me.What if its owner wanted it this way?
    In fact I'm planning to do something similar with the Siena.The bumper claddings will be in body color.The running board,the lip of the rear bumper and of course the wing mirror flaps will remain black.The international Siena actually had the running boards and lip too in body color but that made the body look too bulky.Hence i decided to keep them black.The planned paint pattern: 1a.jpg
    varunrtr likes this.
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    may be you can add a front air dam (like in this punto) as well to complete the black border :)

10482611_10153183613811490_4602390754456546207_n.jpg
    Sagz and asimpleson like this.
  8. Anesh

Anesh Timido

Coimbatore
    Coimbatore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Hi Sagz, all the best on bringing your heat breather into print condition. IMG_20140806_162354.jpg IMG_20140802_172036.jpg IMG_20140802_172046.jpg IMG_20140802_172031.jpg
    Hello Team..
    Now I have become a TFI member too owning a Fiat Siena 1.2 Petrol. Am uploading some pics of my first 4 legged(wheeled :p) possession.
    varoon9999 and Sagz like this.
  9. abhionline

abhionline Timido

thiruvananthapuram
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    This is my girl... Panning for a new paint job and mechanical overhaul soon......
    And I wish you all the best for your restoration process....

FB_IMG_14291884582364625.jpg
    Sagz likes this.
  10. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    She really is looking gorgeous.Selecting a new color for this car is not an easy task.I had a tough time finalising one.Decided on palio's galaxy black finally.
    I hope there aren't any major mechanical issues with your car.Just make sure your mechanic is experienced in dealing with older gen Fiats.In that case,sourcing parts won't be too difficult either.

Thanks:happy: and congrats on your TFI membership.That's a variety paint scheme.your idea?