1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Meeting a long-lost friend : The Fiat Siena. Restoration on the cards.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Sagz, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Those are Palio Stile MJD's logos.Got them from 99rpm and the total cost was about 1800.Excellent quality and prompt delivery,I must say.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    I dont think Palio Stile side indicators can be fitted to siena. Palio style side indicators are longer than the one which you have on your car. But Retro Palio indicators seems to be straight fit. I had changed it couple of times on my 1.9D and my gut feeling says that even Palio had similar cut.

Frankly Retro palio parts are easily available than Palio stile spares. All the best. :D
  3. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Good luck on the restoration bro.. Please pay special attention for anti-rust treatment in the under-body, floor, wheel well and chassis areas.
  4. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Yes,the Stile indicators are longer,I was just wondering whether the clamps behind the indicator lamps would be of similar size.Else I will go with the OEM indicators.
    You're right,the availability of spares for the Siena has not been an issue so far,particularly since it shares most of its parts with Palio.There is even an abandoned Palio in the same garage which might become a parts donor.
    Thanks for the suggestion:)
    The car has been surprisingly rust free except at the edges of a few panels.I'll definitely take care about the anti-rust treatment.
  5. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    Most welcome man.. what i was pointing to was the body lines will not suite the stile side lamps. :D all the best
  6. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Quite a long time since I last updated this thread.
    I just got too busy with my studies and had been struggling even to find time to go back home from hostel,let alone visiting the garage.Meanwhile there has been a slight slowdown in the restoration works too.The mechanic ordered the front suspension setup of the pre-2001 Siena,hoping to cover the major part of the mechanical works before the bodywork starts.The parts arrived from Coimbatore a few weeks back,but they sent the post-2001 Siena/Petra's suspension instead.The existing parts had already been disassembled and hence the car couldn't be moved to the body shop until the right parts arrived.

The front suspension has now been installed.The strut assembly of one side has been taken from an abandoned Palio lying in the same garage.The lower arms and the other strut assembly are all new.The rear suspension and the new lock set have arrived and will be installed soon.The refurbished alternator is expected arrive shortly and that will make car just fine,mechanically.I will post the pics of the new suspension setup once the rear ones have been installed.

The car has now been shifted to the body shop and the works will begin on Monday.The patch work,dent removal,seatings for the new logos,and the paint job will be dealt with in the body shop.

In addition to the old gen Fiats which usually greet me at the garage,there were two new generation Fiats this time: a black Punto and a charming Flamenco Red Linea.With another Siena and a Palio 1.9,the garage looked to me like a Fiat hub.

The Siena now stands on its own feet(wheels,i mean:D) :
    DSC_0839.jpg DSC_0838.jpg

The abandoned Palio 1.9D which is likely to serve as a parts bin: DSC_0840.jpg

This Uno came here a week after the Siena.This is its condition now.No idea what went wrong. DSC_0841.jpg
    asimpleson likes this.
  7. Sarang6346

Sarang6346 Timido

Pune, Maharashtra
    Sticking to this thread!
    Great work to restore the gem. Waiting for the pics :)
  8. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Why did they abandon the palio or uno?
    Will people abandon an esteem or 800?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    They would not abandon if hasslefree, affordable spares, service is available and overall public perception is not negative about these cars. I cannot understand why people hate the cars or damn them when the fault is of greedy parts dealers and mechanics and Fiat who are responsible for the negativity. Its OK if one cannot hope to ask for a resale because he or she is not sure about the vehicle condition themselves. Also the fact that after a point the users just want to make space (for parking or upgrade) and sell in distress for reasons of time or money.

The UNO D as a car was not plagued with issues except parts availability and old design etc. I guess it did not have a Turbo making things simpler from maintenance and reliability point.. :confused: In fact it was superb on the FE front. The Palio, depending on variant and condition still keeps selling at low prices for learners or enthusiasts or those on a budget.

@Bala the cars are fairly complicated for gully mechanics which is one major reason for them bad mouthing and bringing down resale value too. This tactic helps/helped them get even a fairly good used vehicle for peanuts. Due to FASC issues in past (greed of dealers and Fiat's parts problems including pricing issues and low accountability of dealers) the dealers took lot of undue advantage and purposely botched up cars of thousands of innocent and gullible owners, because owners didn't have time to investigate in details and eventually the cars were blamed, because accurate diagnosis esp. in multiple issues was a big problem making the cars a great source of income for these thieves in disguise. One needs special skills and demeanor to tackle these types.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Sagz likes this.
  10. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    The car indeed is a gem and I'm all set to put it back its lost glory.
    The issue here is that I'm able to pay visits only in weekends.But I'll definitely try to get more pictures in the coming days as the car is heading to the body shop.

The Uno does not at all look abandoned except for the grass which has started to grow through the engine bay.In all probability it is the unavailablity of spares which has left it stranded here.It is otherwise too good a car to be left like this.We had a Uno before upgrading to Siena and we totally loved it!!
    That Palio is now a total mess.A parts bin for the other Fiats around is all it can now be.They are planning to take all useful parts from it and get rid of the remains soon.I will inquire the exact reason for its current state at my next visit.I was wondering whether the pre 2007 Palios came with two tone interiors because this car has got a grey-biege combo.
    Beyond a certain point of time,I guess almost any car would end up in a mess if it doesn't have someone to take real care for it,ready to spend time and money on it.The Siena would have still been dying a slow death in that dusty godown had I not taken the initiative in bringing it back to life.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015