1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Meeting a long-lost friend : The Fiat Siena. Restoration on the cards.

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Sagz, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Should I place an order on 99rpm or not? What if I place an order and the part is not available?
    How trustworthy is 99rpm?
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have had very good experience with 99rpm so far and they are very much trust worthy. And you can trust that they sell only new parts and not refurbished or old parts like some vendors do. :)

Make a call to Pankaj (99rpm) to get to know about the part availability and then order. Or just drop an email. They will promptly reply you back.
    rajeev_pillai likes this.
  3. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Thank you:)
    Just now got an email from 99rpm confirming that all the products listed in 99rpm are in supply from Fiat.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  4. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Has been nearly two months since I last updated the thread. Due to some unexpected situations,the car could be brought back home only recently.Adding to that,my tight semester schedule left me with hardly any time to concentrate on the restoration project :(
    Now that the circumstances are relatively more favourable, I'm kick-starting the project.
    The first step- Siena's journey from the dusty godown to its home (Pollachi,TN to Alleppey,KL):

The car wasn't in running condition.I was never willing let those local mechanics at Pollachi lay their hands on the machine again,their poor quality of work being partially responsible for it's present situation.So the only option left was to carry him home on a truck.
    The car left the godown (forever, I would say:)) on 10th December morning.At evening,he was back home,after about 3 long years.
    As soon as he was unloaded, out of nowhere came a heavy rain,washing down all the dust.Though I had two major practical exams coming up within no time, I simply couldn't resist spending time with my long-lost friend, so that I could get a clear view of all the damages he had to suffer.

The car just after being unloaded,the dust being washed down by an unexpected rain:
    DSC_0407~2.jpg
    DSC_0401.jpg DSC_0448.jpg

Injecting a new lease of life:

Back after the exams,we started off.Got a new battery and a used tyre for temporary use.Tried starting the car,but it wouldn't self-start.
    Then we tried out towing him and all of a sudden,he came back to life with a roar!! Hearing his voice after a very long time,the excitement was sky-high.That was one awesome moment I'm never ever going to forget.The engine was surprisingly quieter and smoother than we expected!!!That was the day I realized how deeply this car had managed to bond itself with my emotions.My very first attempt in driving was on this car.

Current status: The car still doesn't self-start and we are having this sorted out.The alternator isn't working either.Otherwise the car is okay,mechanically.Gearing up for a detailed overall inspection of the machine in the coming days.
  5. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    That is one great emotional moment for you, hat's off to your perseverance! It seems that the gods are with you and want to reward you one of the most divine gift they can give and that's is the Welcome Rain.
    Its so moving to read that the car came to life after such long time being idle.
    As I had mentioned in the other restoration thread, I always wanted see the passion exhibited in Custom Car show( History Channel) to be shown by some one over here.
    All the best eagerly waiting to watch your thread......
    Sagz likes this.
  6. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    A quick photoshop job on the minor exterior tweaks planned.Not really interested in that black roof though:)
    There were plans to change the color, but I simply could not find a color which suits the design as good as white. DSC_0457.jpg DSC_h0448.jpg DSC_0444.jpg
    rishike007, Mabams1826 and prabhjot like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Then go for Vocal white if you like the contrasts with roof etc.
  8. Sagz

Sagz Amatore

Kochi
    Kochi
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Need suggestions.Which one looks better?
    1a.jpg 1b.jpg 1c.jpg
    SHASHANKREDDY and rishike007 like this.
  9. romedaide

romedaide Timido

Hanoi
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi You,

I like your report about fiat. At present (2014) I drive fiat sienna 1.6 diesel, I want to research about my favourite car. pls sent to me fiat sienna catalogue you had. My email: hiepqtdn@yahoo.com

thank you very much! Do you still drive fiat at now? pls show me your image about its
  10. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi Sagz,
    All the best for your project.
    Where are you planning to do the restoration? any workshops selected?
    I can see that you are from Kochi.
    Now I am also in Kochi, please PM me your coordinates so that we can meet.

--Rajeev