1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Me, My Fiat and a Legendary South India Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Makshamsheer, Nov 26, 2012.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Nice write up and pictures, and of course lots of details on road conditions.

Very few owners venture into the wild with a 1.4. You are one such!
  2. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    Aaooww Thanks Kiran...

That 14 Kmpl is so because the last 1200 Kms was on Blissfull NH7 where I had been gentle on the throttle most of the time

@Sungoa - - - Its the same 173mm, dint get to upgrade it yet...

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks Thulasi - - - Well had to say... I ve been a crazy nut all along.....

Believe it - - - I drove from Delhi - Hyderabad back in 2010 just for the heck of it... and then did it 3 times then... I like this Babe mannn.... :rolleyes:
  3. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    3rd Leg - Kozhikode - Ernakulam - Kanyakumari

Kozhikode, Kerala, India to Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Start: 23rd November - 0300 PM

Heard a lot about the city; couldn't figure out much but yeah... the beach was a good option right in the morning...So be it... My "Silver Spartan" took me to the Kozhikode beach DSC01133.jpg

Since most of the people were at work, we found the beach just for ourselves... Neat & Clean, n no one to bother around
    DSC01097.jpg
    My Fren was soo hell bent in taking a clean shot of this Eagle - - - Well, what I clicked is something which he wont have... Hehehe
    DSC01105.jpg

Had traveled too far from home already... but the never ending sea gives me a feel that the distance I covered in the last two days is "Nothing" DSC_0609.jpg DSC01120.jpg

Energizing from the fresh morning beach winds - - - DSC01124.jpg

Its time to get back on the road....Adios Kozhikode
    DSC_0566.jpg

Going by the previous days experience, there is no way we could take the rest of the drive through Kerala during day; hence we decided to take a good sleep and hit the road late evening and drive the night through...

Took off exactly 3 pm from the Hotel and since it was near to the Mini-Bypass; we hit the road NH 66 again in no Time

Someone mentioned about "Halwa Bazaar" - wondered what that is and searched; luckily, found this Halwa market place right next to the road - - - and had to stop.... They literally had a dozen flavors of Halwa and I packed each one of it... DSC01147.JPG

As I mentioned in the 2nd Leg - - - it was the same exact same experience driving through the Roads of Kerala

The road was bumpy here and there where we could not cross 60 Kph but for the Silver Spartan [My Punto] - it was like "Duhhrrr"

We were able to cover 200 Kms to reach Ernakulam @ 1000 pm - 7 Hrs for 200 Kms..... Just imagine.....not even 30 Kms an hour; Bear in Mind, we were not lost even once, NH 66 is just about a good 2 way road with no divider; very few bad road conditions; not much of a vehicular traffic except the James Bonds and the Grand Prix racers; Town after Town after Town after Town of Kerala wouldn't want us to go faster that we miss everything that this state has to offer - - - But still for someone like me... covering 30 Kms an hour is like a stab right through the chest

Wouldn't want to take any chances with a Coconut Oil cuisine; we landed in a North Indian Restaurant - "Chak De"; the first thing he said before you order from the Menu, please take a good look at the table mat placed right infront of us - - - which starts with "Do not ask for Kerala Paratha" which defeats the purpose of a North Indian Restaurant and the guy was pretty loud about it.

We left Ernakulam right about 1100 pm or so with the Spartan tank filled up - - - all of us felt, a hot cup of tea would be a charm, stopped by a roadside tea stall, when we asked for tea - He said; there is no milk - What the heck......we were like, out of all the tea stalls we have seen, we stopped at once and there is no milk. Disappointingly turning back we saw something mesmerizing, then we thought we had to stop here, tea was just a reason but the actual reason is to witness this - "Religious Royalty" standing right on the other side of the road - How can we afford to miss such a glimpse.... Majestic it is... DSC01155.JPG

Enchanted by the scene - we started again, guess what we stopped at a Cafe Coffee Day - again for a cup of Hot tea; dudes there said "Sooory, No Milk" - we were passified with Assam Tea though... and Back on the roads... I had asked my companions to take a nap; and I promised to make the drive as quieter as possible..... Turned down the Blaupunkt and switched to some Progressive Tech House plugged with a Bluetooth headset padding my ears - - - each track is of atleast an hour - - - The feeling was amazing.... Me, My Fiat, Fav Trance Music, Looong Night Drive and Great Memoirs

My Silver Spartan kept me Steady @ 70 Kph all through - we Crossed Alappuzha, Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram and just when we were touching Nagercoil - I saw a change in the written language style on the hoardings - My mobile beeped a Message - Welcome to Tamil Nadu - - - Hollaaaaaaa - 52 Kms to Kanyakumari - Excited Punter started revving through the twists n turns of Nagercoil as if trying to figure out where the road is going to end...

I was also loosing patience as the last 50 kms as if it was taking longer... Hehehe...

Here comes the best part at this time - My GPS said "Turn Right & Get on to NH7" - - - Woooooohaaaaaaaaaaa...... I can hit 100 in no time on NH7.... the moment I got onto NH7.... Punter unleashed himself.... as if "This is what I am talking about - - - Commoonnn" - - - and the announcement on GPS 'You have Arrived' left me bewildered - when I flashed the headlights here and there.. I saw a board which has directions to left and right but nothing straight.... "Thats it People - - - Thats the End of the Road"

We reached into a hotel right on the beach - - Checked in.... Time to Crash.... where as My companions had to go see the sunrise - it was 0530 AM; just about time for the sunrise

Ernakulam - Kanyakumari - 300 Kms - 6 and Half hours; and trust me its because it was the Night Drive

Heard the Rock Smashing waves from amalgamation of 3 seas - Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean... That was a proud moment "Its the Destination We Planned out for"

1500 Kms into the Journey and Here we are - Where the Country gives into the Mighty Oceans

Thats the 3rd Leg - Maa Frens...

Will put down the drive back home in the next couple of Days...

All Hailll- - - - Fiaterrsss....
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The mosque in dark looks really royal like a Taj mahal. Excellent narration and photos.

Kozhikode and Talasseri are famous for halwa. One has to ask what is not there which they can't make a Halwa out of it starting with raw Banana to the popular pinaple halwa.
    Calicut is also famous for Chips and Biriyani. Hotel Sagar near the KSRTC is a very famous and popular restaurant for Biriyani. Hope you had enjoyed it.

A suggestion : We can avoid posting that affects others privacy. Post# 23 photo 4. Mind set of people at remote place may not be forward like in metros. There is a high chance that photos can be used for misuse. Just a request. :)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    3 people like this.
  5. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    Nice Pics bro...
    1 person likes this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I liked your style of narration :)
    Pics of Beach, halva store, and taj mahal look-alike are great!
    I felt that too. Forget posting someone's picture on a public forum, even pointing camera at a stranger, even though from a "safe distance", amounts to violation of privacy. It's not just about mindset of people.
    2 people like this.
  7. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    Woooo never thought about that, the blog just went in a flow.... is there a way we can delete that pic...

All u guys, glad u liked the pics n narration, it's just the the experience in writing....
    1 person likes this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You can use the "report post" link for that. Mods will take care of the rest.
  9. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    Thanks Ravi,

Please bear with me guys... this is the first time ever, I m blogging about my experience...

Rest - - - Learnings will be recorded in the primary memory...:ugeek:

Thanks Again....
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.