1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Me, My Fiat and a Legendary South India Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Makshamsheer, Nov 26, 2012.

1. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Welcome to TFI and what a way to start here.
    The travelogue is really appreciated and nice pictures too to compliment it. Do share more pictures.
    And yes, only a Fiater can accomplish such a feat
    1 person likes this.
  2. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    Thanks Raj...

You are right.. Only a Fiaterr can accomplish such a Feat...

We Rock & Roar...

All Haill - - - Fiatterrss
  3. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

Welcome to TFI. Great travelogue. Waiting for more pictures and stories
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Did you touch Hospet? Can you explain which route you have taken to reach Hiriyur.
    Hospet-Bellary-Gooty is one of the route to go to Hyderabad from Goa. So from your description it seems that route should be avoided for bad roads from Gooty to Bellary.
  5. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    Thanks Nitin, Will update the thread later tonight.... with the rest of the Drive...

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hello Sungoa...

This is the route I took

http://goo.gl/maps/Pzxgx

http://goo.gl/maps/Pzxgx

And Yes, I did not go till Hospet - but after Bellary - I went through Rayadurg and Chalakere

After what I had gone through - "YESS" by all means - avoid that route - - - I had once went to Goa through Gulberga - Bijapur - - - - its a faar better a route
    1 person likes this.
  6. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    2nd Leg - Chikmagulur - Mangalore - Kozhikode

Chikmagalur, Karnataka, India to Kozhikode, Kerala, India - Google Maps

Start: 22nd November - 0800 AM

To be Honest - - - This is the first time I ever went that deep towards the "Western Ghats" and when we started off this day - we thought we could cover the Drive to Mangalore in about 4 hrs [150 Kms] and plan to hit the NH 66 till Ernakulam and stay there. But there after what happened in reality is a story to be told.

After starting with a cool comfy ride through the "Valleys of Coffee" in the "In the Land of Coffee" - We came about 35 Kms and had to stop after what I saw....

Coconuts - Double the size of my Head, and I had to drink one at least, and not to my surprise, I literally blurped so many times to drink one Coconut... Dont believe me... Check it out... View attachment 34628

We continued the drive - in "No Hurry at All" enjoying every part of the wilderness and there comes the "Coffee Corner" - What I drink in a Cafe @ 70 bucks a cup with half the froth in it.... This guy at Coffee Corner gave me a full freshly brewed coffee @ just 15 bucks... Thanks to that guy... He had proved & justified the experience of Drinking Fresh Coffee in the Land of Coffee... N Just look at the amount of Greenery around.... Woowwww.......

DSC00997.jpg DSC00991.jpg

Then comes this magical hill top with a Green Blanket on it....
    DSC01018.jpg

Cruising N Swinging on NH 234
    DSC01021.jpg

Now comes the Black Rock on one side DSC01046.jpg
    Velleys of Depth on the Other DSC01051.jpg DSC01055.jpg

We then realized that we just crossed 50 Kms from Chikmagulur and took a reality Check - we decided not to get lost by the Natural Beauty for the day... Hence we started picking up the speed but again but lost to the twists and turns of the Western Ghats - - - Forget about the Hairpin Bends - - - these are almost equal to infinity bends - at times its more than 180 degrees, we checked the google map afterwards.... n this is what it shows... Oh Maa Goodddd.. Western Ghats NH 234.JPG

Finally managed to get over the Ghats and trust me fellaahhhsss...... I never thought I would encounter something like this.... just when we thought we are done with the Ghats and thought of picking up the speed... We ended up from an "Ok Road to No Road" - We were like .... "Ahhh Mannnn - - Where is the Freeegnn Roaddd" - we were on a "Hitch Hike on our Punto" - for about 6 Kms we might have uttered "Ahh Shh***" a 100 times and for about 10-15 times that stretch played with us like "Road & No Road" Game - - when we are barely done with that hammering stretch, I watched couple of Tempo Travellers pulling over for a flat tyre - I stopped too and gave the Yoko's a thorough check - thankfully all edges are intact - And we are 70 Kms to Mangalore and its 1030 AM already.

We zipped thru and entered Mangalore around 1pm and hungry instincts lead us straight to a Restaurant called "Sea Food Restaurant" right on the highway itself. First time on the Menu I saw APC [As Per Catch] in place of Price - we Said OKKKK..... n ordered a Tandoori Pomfret; That dude brought us a massive Pomfret weighing one kilo and charged "As Per Catch" - Indeed....

Lunch got over - And how can we come to Mangalore and not touch the Beach.... Its time to get wet in the Beach - - - Its one of the cleanest I have ever seen with White Sand and clean transparent sea water... DSC01081.jpg

Time was 0400 PM and we have a loooooong way to gooo.... as Initially we thought of hitting Ernakulam and at this point of time we had 240 Kms to Kozhikode itself we never had any clue of Kerala as it was the first time for me to get into Kerala. We took NH 66 from Mangalore and even before we realized we entered "The Gods Own Country"

I wont say that the NH 66 was bad or not good but I have to admit - I have never seen so many people on a National Highway; it wasnt a road with a divider but plain enough to hit 100 Kph with enough space on the road for over taking and maneuvering the Car but with soo many people and vehicles [small & big] hitting 80 is a pretty bigggg deal...
    Here is some of the tit bits:
    - Found Zebra Crossings on the Highways # 66 with no sign boards whatsoever and thats normal throughout the state
    - Its a national highway for the people first and vehicles next: cos people can cross from wherever to everywhere on the NH - for Ex: A lady was crossing the NH with a Dosa in her hand; another gentleman with a small bucket in his hand - - and guess what; here is this gentleman taking a stroll after his dinner on the National Highway
    - If you are cutting through "The Gods Own Country" on the road - be prepared to see a TOWN AFTER TOWN AFTER TOWN AFTER TOWN n that goes all the way...
    - Every guy driving 3 wheels is a James Bond - and by their DNA; No Matter what, their front wheel has to be in the Center of the Road - and I have seen 1000s of Games Bond through out Kerala since that the cheapest mode of transport.
    - Every guy riding a set of 2 wheels - They can experience Grand Prix on their very own NH 66 - they can be found anywhere on the road; racing at their top speed with the James Bonds
    - Gold Jewelery shops are found right next to the NH, you can Find Chunks of Garlands of Gold

I just want to wrap these comments with just one line - "If you want to see Country's Naturally Wealthiest Region - You Gotta Go See Kerala"

We were so overwhelmed with the wealth of Kerala in their people, their religious practices, every girl child going to school, a Mosque every one kilometer - absolutely literacy in practice, so much vegetation, backwaters and the beaches - Life will be Complete in Kerala - God Bless........ we continued to speak about Kerala through and we realized its 8 hrs into the drive and approaching Kozhikode at midnight...

So exhausted - We Zipped Into the City, searched, got into a Hotel, checked in with legs wobbling - and Thats the End of a Brain Burning Drive - Leg 2 ending at 1200 PM on 22nd November.....

Rest is following thru Peoople....

All Haill - - - Fiaterrsss....
    5 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Your thread has given lot of information about the road condition of some exotic routes.
    What is the GC of your Punto?
  8. Makshamsheer

Makshamsheer Timido

Hyderabad
    If you are referring to Gas consumption - - - I get 14 Kmpl on Highways and 12 in the city
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    sungoa was refering to Ground Clearance.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    14 looks very reasonable for the kind of roads encountered.
    I used GC for Ground Clearance.
    Thanks Kiran.
    1 person likes this.