1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Me and my Abarth - Ownership Report

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by theblack, Jul 6, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    yeah. It pumps close to 4PSI in a min.
    I tested at 32PSI and in a min it went to 36
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    A good news is almost always followed by a bad news
    FUSE BLOWN :-(
    Looks like my punto doesn't like tyre inflators at all.

Did i do anything wrong here?
    I connected the pump to the cigg socket, connected the pump to the valve and turned ignition to MAR.
    NOTE : I did not start the engine.

For the first 1 min all looked fine , I came upstairs and typed in my findings and i go back down and check, the compressor is not working.
    I immediately saw that my stereo has also stopped responding . It does not turn on at all. (Oh damn its a new system just a week old)

Next i feared the worst and opened up the fuse box to find F44 (15AMP) fuse is busted :eek:

I have spare fuses so that's not a problem but how do i remove the dead fuse? I tried pulling it out and it would not budge so tried pulling it with pliers and the fuse started to deform so i stopped .

Is there any release mechanism?
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nope. There is no release mechanism. I have always pulled out fuses with a pair of nose pliers. I suspect cross wiring, as you state that your music system also stopped working. Did you also have music playing at the same time? The music system is supposed to have it's own fuse and the cigarette lighter socket it's own, which should be rated for 18 W and the fuse is usually 15 Amp.

Also, never ever leave the pump running and step away from the car.

As a practice, I have always used the pump with the engine running, as I was scared of draining the battery. Let me get some spare fuses and try running with the key in MAR and update.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  4. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    Just pull with nose player .... actually i think fuse for company fitted ice and charger r different.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yeah it was actually. I didnt' give it any thought at all and it just went silent .
    That's when i realised there is something wrong.
    Lesson learnt well.
    Thank god i bought fuses just 2 days ago!!
    Let me give it a shot now and see if i can yank it out

- - - Merged Post - - -

no luck the fuse is just not budging and i tried with all my might and its deformed . I'm scared that if i pull any harder i might get only the top plastic cap leaving the leads inside only that might be a big issue.
    Need to find another way out of soon.
    Last thing i expected to go bust before a long trip on Friday!! :( :(
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    You still have three days buddy. Do not fret. Leave it alone for now. Have a look in the morning in daylight and I am sure it will be fine.

According to the manual, F39 is for the radio node and F44 is for the cigarette lighter socket. Did your after market ICE installer tap into the cigarette lighter socket source by any chance? Please do check F39 as well in the morning. Thank your stars that this issue cropped up now, with three days to get it sorted out, rather than during your trip in a desolate highway. Do let me know if I can help in any way.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i bought coido tire inflator from ebay a few months back for just 1k (upto 300Psi- indicated).. and it is doing duty without any fuss so far.. no fuse blow or anything. Do you start your car before operating the inflator?? I guess its a bit overpriced, which you bought!! this also takes hardly one minute to top up pressure and to fill from 0 to 32 takes about 5 mins, which i checked after fixing a puncture !
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. This was the root-cause for the blown fuse:
    Never switch on the portable compressor before starting the engine. I think, I mentioned this during our discussions.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes i remember the installer was playing with the cigg socket for wiring.
    Is this wrong ? Since I didn't know much about it , i thought that's how it should be!!

Yes sir but bad habits dont die easily . i used to turn my old compressor on without starting the engine so i totally forgot your advice . Now paying for it :(
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Fuse blowing would be due to excess load-compressor and ICE drawing power from the same source. Engine not running might drain the battery, but I do not think it will blow a fuse. If your ICE is drawing power from your cigarette lighter socket, you will have to switch off the ICE whenever you need to use the compressor, even with the engine running.

Rajan