1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maximum Tyre Life?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by jaggu916, Dec 13, 2014.

1. jaggu916

jaggu916 Novizio

Coimbatore
    Friends, am going to share an interesting piece here.
    My linea MJD, has run 71,500 kms with OE tyres - Goodyear GT3, and still good for another 5000 kms atleast.

Regular alignment & balancing every 5000 kms and decent steady speeds avoiding harsh braking. and yes, frequent hill driving.
    pabhishek likes this.
  2. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    42000Km 1 tyre has gone almost bald. all need replacement.
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Well in past 80000kms I changed 2 sets (except OE tires). My Punto is on 3rd set which was done some 3000km before. But in my case OE tyres were replaced the very next day of getting the car so did't counted those. Here also got regular alignment, balancing and rotation every 5000kms religiously.
    But getting almost 70k+ kms on OE tires is something very unique :-D Clearly showing you are a very sedate driver :)
  4. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    I changed my Santro's OEM tyres after 60,000 kms. It seems that the life depends on the weight of car, the tyre's build quality, how the vehicle is driven & where its driven.
  5. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Well, Tyre life is a function of your driving habits and the rads you drive on. I live in Delhi and have a relaxed driving style. No heard breaking and unnecessary high speeding. Thee Stock tires(Apollo Acceler) on my TJet did 50,000 KM .. Got them replace with Yokohama DB couple of months back.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Thats amazing mate. Never heard of OE tyres lasting that long. Agreed that regular WA/WB does help in improving life but this much, couldnt believe it. How often did you rotate the tyres? How's the tread on the tyres?
  7. jaggu916

jaggu916 Novizio

Coimbatore
    up to first 30,000 kms did alignment every 15,000 kms after which did every 5000 kms, at 35,000 kms i switched to outside authorized service center since the tie up with tata was coming to an end and care was not good then, went to a very reputed yokohama guy and he suggested that tyres would last only another 10,000 kms. I wasn't convinced, checked up all forums and came to know my available tread depth was close to 5mm which means this aligner was only trying to hard sell a new set of tyres complaining about good year. Immediately switched to manatec - they make alignment machines, found the mechanics there sincere and stuck with them up to 60,000 kms, did every 5000 kms, they are closed now. took for service last week to CAI Fiat Coimbatore and got my alignment, rotation done with them at 71500 kms, good experience with CAI fiat.
    Recommend doing alignment with a aligner and not a tyre seller, feel tyre sellers do not do a thorough job, they are more interested in selling by doing a lot of sweet techy talk.
    Will post images soon, still around 1.5-2 mm life is left in most parts of all tyres. lets see...
  8. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi jaggu916, its really unbelievable! But what was the tyre rotation frequency. In the owners manual its advised to do after 15k.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Girish, that is quite possible. The GT3 are quite good tyres except the noise. BTW, the new tyres on AVVY in showroom were also Goodyear 205 profile ones and looked smashing. However the sales guy wasn't sure they will ship the same on AVVY post booking.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Aseem,

Agreed the tyres may be good but the kms covered seems like running in ideal condition. I mean on the smoothest tarmac and not so much on the broken roads. Esp during monsoons.

@jaggu916

Sorry mate no intentions of disclaiming your good fortune, can you elaborate on the surfaces the tyres have been run. Looking at the positive side, may be a few tips from your side would help fellow TFIians to achieve near about that mileage if not the same. Tyres as we know are a big expenditure once they cross 30K kms of their life, would like to know means of minimizing this cost.