1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruti Suzuki obsession over Efficiency or Fooling Public?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Ashpalio, Aug 24, 2012.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

For FE I should be competing with the T-jet owners I guess ;) The best mileage I ever got on my Punto MJD is 16.3 kmpl for a trip of 225 kms (one way) and when combined with the return journey 14.9 kmpl for 450 kms.
    Hoping to see a better FE at the South India Meet as we have decided to have a speed limit and drive sedately.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Car queries: 32 kmpl is not ARAI test; done by Autocar India - Money - DNA

Q:The Ford Fiesta Classic has been rated as one of the fuel-efficient cars in India with a mileage of 32 kmpl ARAI test. But, apparently, its actual mileage is only around 17-18 kmpl. What gives?
    —Rishit Shetty
    It turns out 32 kmpl is not an ARAI test but one conducted independently by Autocar India, the magazine. Ford made a mistake in their literature and have corrected it now.
  3. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Kiran, this mileage is preety obvious for you, tell the true story please ;), what velocity you were in that time. From my observation:- onward you drove 120-130 KMPH and return not below of 150 KMPH.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Well nothing much Suman. Constant 140s and ocassional 160s and 170 once, thats all :) But initially I tried to test my patience by driving sedately at 80kmph for some 50kms. Atleast I tried. :D
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Well, this is exactly what I went through during recent long drive. This is what Fiat does to most of us! :dance But with great difficulty managed to keep a check so that wont overspeed! Drife safe guys!
  6. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The problem is not Maruti claiming ACI's ideal test conditions as the average mileage of it's car's or even Ford claiming the same. The problem is the average Indian's obsession with fuel efficiency. When the reason you can lose a sale is fuel efficiency then you will see company's resorting to such desperate measures to prove the potential mileage of their car's. It is this obsession which makes car company's tie up with magazine's making them drive in a way nobody in the world will (for Fiesta, I believe ACI didnt' switch on the stereo / de-fogger as well!). And to top it people actually believe these outlandish mileage claims and put their hard earned money on buying these products!

It is this obsession which also results in car's coming with thin spindly tyres (City coming with 175mm tyres when it costs 11 lakhs!). Every car company recommends higher air pressure then required to maximize mileage and people are happy bearing bone jarring ride quality and suspensions that wear off pre-maturely just so they can enjoy 1kmpl more. It's the good luck of our car company's that the roads are so bad here that any suspension componant wear off is blamed on poor roads when the real culprit could be high tyre pressures!
    2 people like this.
  7. sungoa2010

People go for comfort. But when it comes to car they are over sensitive about FE. How much is the difference between a car that differ by 1 or 2 kmpl. The same people I know many of them fly unnecessarily even if the air port is too far from their home and the railway station is very close. When it comes to cars they can't afford a difference of 200-300 rupees of fuel coast and they go to unsafe poor ride quality cars.
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have constantly beaten the mileage claimed by Fiat .........without ac its gives bomb of an average.......if one drives in range of 60-70Kmph one can easily get mileage of >20kmpl with ac on 100%........

people are amazed whenever i tell them what Fiat is capable of.........
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  9. Cashier

Cashier Amatore

Guys what if I tell you that I can extract a mileage of >16 kmpl on a stretch of Mumbai - Pune road, and more so on the Old Mumbai - Pune road, and I drive 1.4 F.I.R.E Linea Petrol, you have to keep your patience of cruising at around 70 kmpl and within 2000 rpm. You however have to control yourself on the Expressway, on the old rod however a speed of 70 kmpl seems good enough especially in this monsoon period you can really enjoy the drive.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

I also think we should sue FIAT for this false claims. Once I drove (just to check the mileage) around 70 kmph on Eastern Express highway in Mumbai for 10 kms and I got 34 kmpl :eek: Another day I drove (again just to test mileage) from my office to my home, I got 25 kmpl with mix of city and highway. How can FIAT do this to us ! I never expected more than 16 kmpl. This is cheating. Let's raise our voice in consumer forum :D

By the way, It is the most boring job to drive FIAT at 60-70. When I tried above tests, I felt I am going to sleep while driving. It's dangerous to drive FIAT slow ::D
    5 people like this.