1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruti CIAZ vs Linea

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by GP_Freak, Sep 3, 2014.

?

Do you find Ciaz to be similar to the new Linea in the below angle ?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

46.3%
  3. I Don't know

3.7%
  4. I Don't Care :-P

16.7%
  1. acechip

acechip Superiore

But see, there is no harm in marrying features with engineering capability, is there? What stops Fiat from bringing in a touchscreen system, or even an AT/Dualogic gearbox and more importantly, the 1.6MJD ? And what stops them from marketing what they already have ? That is what makes me think they have sorta given up on the Linea-in fact havent even tried. I hope it does not go the Fiat Sienna/Petra way come 2015/2016.
    BTW its not that all Japs/Koreans have a choppy ride/handling. The Honda Accord has always been a sharp ride/handling platform IIRC.
    My own Accord was so much better in terms of handling than my Camry (which felt softly sprung) , and leagues ahead of the equivalent American cars of that time.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Vintage ?? :confused: and similarities between Swift and SX4 ?? :confused: Elaborate please..!
    Donno about vintage but they certainly had no common lineage..:p
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 10, 2014 ---
    Sienna/Petra and to much extent the Uno/Palio and others also were victims of Fiat's biggest blunders with spares and service support few year back. The owners still talk highly about these cars, except they hate it at the same time because of the way these cars depreciated and also because service support was a major b*tch. Many were confused if the cars were bad or Fiat or both.

You are right about features and accessories etc. There is still a huge challenge in front of Fiat with regards, manufacturing efficiencies, perhaps logistics, perhaps rapid prototyping and upcoming technology incorporation, lean manufacturing etc. where clearly the Japanese stand out and have been the path layers and innovators in that domain for many decades now. Even the Koreans seem to have taken a few leaves out of their books.

Also agree with Dualogic gearbox part, but providing 1.6MJD could not necessarily be easy for them as has been argued so many times on the forum. Simply due to government taxations and also overall car sales. We could perhaps someday see MJD2 2.0 or 2.3 also in some of their future SUVs or transport vehicles if they choose to enter that market. The Doblo was spotted sometime back. :)

So it is already known that Japanese can make world class, rather class leading vehicles in certain segments or any segment. No one can deny that. The point @prabhjot implies and pertaining to comparison with other Jap and Korean Sedans or cars vs Linea/Punto is that these have a definite edge in certain categories a trade-off which we all are willing to live with and rather cherish it for as long as we can.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I've been arguing the points:

(a) they HAVE marketed it: there were ads at launch. They did showcase the new Linea in malls. They have a large number of testimonial videos on their website. Inadequate you might say but are we sure it's marketing that is the issue rather than a case of, as nkrishnap says, hardly anyone even willing to shortlist it, sticking only to the Honda and the Hyundai, or to the new option of compact MNC-made 'Suv'-s (Ecosport, Duster). The Linea faces much tougher competition than the Punto or, certainly, the Avventura, which is why i feel the latter has much better sustainable prospects.

(b) its sales nos. MAY have nothing to do with the absence of the bigger diesel/touchscreen etc, in which case the sort of scale of marketing and advertising and discounting you advocate for it would be money down the gutter. It's the ASS/dealer reputation, which cannot be reversed through marketing but only through at least two years worth of improvements that translate into better word-of-mouth from owners. Also, greater overall impressionistic/vague 'confidence' in Fiat among c2/d1 segment buyers which can also only come in gradually as Fiat launches new products starting with the Avventura. Rome, beijing or Pune were not built in a day.

As i said in an earlier post: things start getting interesting from now on through to the multiple launches in 2015/2016. Let's see what they do with and for the Linea next year: amt on the 1.3 diesel? 1.5 diesel? re-re-do the front bumper-grill? touchscreen? projector lamps? panoramic sunroof? Whatever they do I don't see sales rising that much. I totally understand their focus on the evo and avventura, for now. And, such as it is, on their dealers and FASS/spares.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Now that you mention this @prabhjot, it certainly looks more like lot can be done with regards improving brand image. You simple aren't visible, neither so much on roads, nor in word of mouth (hypes etc.), nor on social medias etc. Their marketing teams are pathetic I would say. Might as well they outsource their campaigns to the best media houses in business and do have enough to show that they are serious players dying for a major share in mass car markets. Lets also see if the recent CCI thing can make overall changes so as to make Fiat also more accountable to it's customers and not make them cry due to spares availability, pricing, dealer/sc handling issues or lack of it. They need to hit refresh more times than they already are. If they are not visible more with more 'real' product launches and upgrades, I am afraid they will repeat history more often.
    Raj_pol and prabhjot like this.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Recently did a very short test drive of CIAZ that was on display in out township last week-end (FIAT did this once, but should repeat).

CIAZ felt easy to drive and pick-up was good as was the gear-shift. Steering did not give the connected-feel that my Linea gives. Sound of the engine was also less. The wind-screen appeared more open and wider than Lines (?).

The body felt very light-weight, as I could feel while opening and closing the doors. Space appeared good at the back, but over-all, I did not get the premium feel that my Linea gives. It appeared a compromised vehicle. Cost : 10.6 lakhs on OR.

The images can be very deceiving, I realized.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Guys with due regards to all your views, let's be honest Fiat India is not aggressive like other auto makers in marketing their products.
    Take the AD for Polo after swift failed NCAP crash test ,you can see VW mentioning Polo as the safest hatch back.
    I am sure Pinto is also capable of the same but, Fiat thinks people should know it.
    As a real Fiat lovers the maximum we can do is try to convert people who plan to buy swift or I20 to Punto and linea likewise.
    After Marvel Fiat came up in Erode, there are quite a number of Punto's here,in fact they have sold over 60 since Jan. I recently convinced one of my friend to go for Fiat. He wanted to exchange his Swift petrol, we went to see Punto and he was hooked after seeing Linea that he test drove it as well and is seriously hiking his budget and to go for Linea instead of Punto.
    In fact when I had a talk with Marvel GM one thing which clearly came out very clearly was that Fiat management doesn't encourage the feed back from dealers much.
    So let's play our part and convert maximum customers for the brand we love so much.
    Bala, VIJENDRA SINGH and prabhjot like this.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ^ Polo is indeed the safest Hatch in India. Dual Airbags are standard even in the base Variant of Polo. The Top end Punto is far safer than any other top end Hatch( minus ones with Curtain Airbags), but it cannot compete when it comes to base variant and it doesn't have airbags.
    Raj_pol likes this.
  8. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks for the facts GP! Punto Emotion diesel is just 7- 7.15 lac across most of the dealers! Without any hint of doubt that should be the best deal any sane car buyer can have any where in India right now and we should try to communicate this to more people if we would like to have more Fiat's on road and more members on our forum.....
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Mabams1826 , it will be like blowing on deaf ears. Fiat as a company has a long way to go in India right from expanding their product portfolio and improving First Fix Rate and turn around times for service and running repairs.

Just for example, my other widely bashed tincan brand car was picked up for 40k/80k 8th year service. It was picked up exactly at 8.30 Am by the driver. My car was the 7th and last pick for the day and job card was filled and bay allotted by 9.30 Am.

All fluids flushed and complete AC cleaning and reconditioning was done and was dropped back in house at 4 Pm. That's a stellar service.

For my beloved Fiat, car is picked up at 12 noon and job card filled by the next day and bay allotted. So 1.5 days for the car to get to the job station. That's an interesting perspective when I am coming from a Giant Multinational in Service Industry. I am noticing night and day difference. So with this, when some one comes to me for a recommendation for a new car, I just share all my experience and let that guy decide what he wants. All appreciate fiat and majority end up buying ------ a tin can :rolleyes:
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now this is something interesting of todays launch of ciaz news.

"There are plenty of new elements that makes Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid quite different and smart compared to other cars including the integrated starter generator, start stop technology and a larger capacity battery. There is a brake energy recovery system as well that takes the energy generated from application of brakes and uses that to charge the battery of the car, thus enhancing the overall efficiency using less amount of energy."