1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruti CIAZ vs Linea

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by GP_Freak, Sep 3, 2014.

?

Do you find Ciaz to be similar to the new Linea in the below angle ?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

46.3%
  3. I Don't know

3.7%
  4. I Don't Care :-P

16.7%
  1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The Ciaz or for that matter other cars in this segment will not hamper the sales of Linea. Even before the Ciaz, there were very few buyers for Linea. The person who considers Linea will end up buying it. The issue is Linea is not considered for a shortlist, so forget about the competition eating away the sales of Linea. Linea is serving to the specific set of buyers who want Linea by choice.
  2. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Well u know...back in 2010, my uncle, cousin and many of my friends are amazed that I bought Linea...Some were suggesting fiesta and Verna..close to 5 years passed and we drove each other's car...now most of them started looking for prep owned punto's and Linea's. That's what a FIAT is!!
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

There seems to be a notion that the Linea is some extraordinary sedan and to be considered as a niche vehicle, like some specialized 4x4. Let's be fair. It is a regular sedan which has its positives and negatives. Fiat is unable to sell it well enough, that's all. People won't give the Linea any special looks in the US or even Europe. Its our Indian frog in well mindset that makes us buy cars like City, Vento, Verna etc. Matter of fact, our beloved Punto is complimented for looks and solid build but derided for firm ride and handling in some of the UK reviews.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @acechip, what do we care what US or Europeans think. The Punto has atleast one positive review on a popular British Automotive show, btw. And yes, the Linea is special in it's own way, it's about what the owner feels, and let the (koopamanduka) frogs be happy in the well.. ;) Every one has their own bubble, some have much bigger ones is all. Their own perceptions of 'reality'.

Peace..!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    acechip and C_S like this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    There is no comparison between Linea & Ciaz. But definitely maruti knew what needs to add in the new car & how to attack customers.
    Maruti knew how to market their poor product well... :)
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is also this fact that customers are indeed very quality and brand conscious, in this segment. Really, only overall strategy and competitors' tactics and overall market trends will decide the final outcome. Lots of wait and see and no clear winners I guess in sedan markets of today.
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Fiat has all premium features in their cars but still people are not looking at it :mad:. If Fiat introduces seat & curtain airbags for rear passengers also, no one will see this safety features. And will start bashing why FIAT has not introducing higher spec engines? :p
    pdash likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @acechip I do see what you're trying to say except that the basic premise is wrong. The Linea and even the Punto (to lesser degree) are complete standouts, esp the t-jet. All the other sedans in this segment are tailor-made-for-unknowing/inexperienced/emerging middle class markets, which is to say: with diluted engineering specs (chassis, steering and suspension) but in exchange for 'features' and a certain, nouveau-riche 'style'.

Only the Linea and the Ford Fiesta (and now also the Tata Zest) have not done that, have not traded-off-and-away the difficult automotive basics. The Linea is a full-fledged euro-spec car: it has a full harmony of different automotive values: from ride/handling to braking to style and even considerable reliability. It does stand-out, a clear head and shoulders above the other offerings in its segment in India, though surely not in the German or American markets.

Now if Fiat cannot/has not been able to sell it well here, that has, in addition to their slumbering and budget-starved marketing etc in the past, everything to do with how so many of the distinctions of the Linea are of no relevance to most buyers in this segment. I am routinely startled to encounter people who have NO IDEA what a european d-segment ride-quality is, for example, having happily accepted the choppiness of Jap and Korean cars as just normal. Likewise for handling, braking distance, tyre size etc

As nkrishnap said in a recent post: the problem is simply that people don't have the Linea (or Fiesta) on their shortlists, because if they did test out the car with open minds many of them would be easily converted to its clear distinction of engineering quality and design.
    zenwalker likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The moment the word Fiat is uttered something in their mind rings like PAL Padmini and old Fiat. Lesser in technology and not so trendy. The real Fiat lost significant ground by delaying the India entry and also bringing in products that could not fit into the 'trendy' mould.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

It is threads like this, and the Figo vs. Punto , Punto Vs Figo Vs Micra Vs Beat threads that baffle me.
    Do you find Ciaz to be similar to the new Linea in the below angle?

Hell no!

Moving away from the question, the Ciaz, if reviews and pictures are anything to go by, looks the best car to be chauffeured in. If you find the seats a little hard as the reviews suggest, you could always add add seat covers with some cushioning to the seats.
    What I am disappointed by is Maruti's strategy of providing Climate control instead of a Passenger Airbag. The typical junta may not care though.

The SX4 belonged to the same vintage as the Swift, and shared a few similarities, because of which owners may not have deemed it an upgrade.

Back in 2007-8 several prospective City buyers went in for the SX4 instead because
    1) It was cheaper.
    2) Offered ABS and Airbags over more expensive City models.

Now, the Ciaz seems to offer more features, a more refined diesel engine at price similar to the City's.

Plus smaller towns still do not have Honda service centres, forget dealerships.

So let's wait and see.