1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruti CIAZ vs Linea

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by GP_Freak, Sep 3, 2014.

Do you find Ciaz to be similar to the new Linea in the below angle ?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I Don't know

4. I Don't Care :-P

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Linea 1.3
    I agree with you GP-Freak on all points. One more similarity that I have not seen in any other car - look at the doors' top edge. The upper edge is matching in colour with the roof, same as in Linea. Not seen in any other car.

I liked the look of Ciaz more than that of new Linea. Surely more masculine! Best among all those in the segment in India. Its front grill with Suzuki logo somehow reminded me of Baleno.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Linea is a competitor to none. Let's leave that. :)

Do you think people who buy Maruti care for the looks? If so, how do they sell Ritz/Dzire?
    Viny likes this.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

if you replace the front grill with maserati quattroporte is would look like a lower trim of maserati :p
    New linea seriously messed up the front.

Something on these lines would have been much better
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @GP_Freak, if the SX4 was never a 'looker'?? :confused:; could be because they stylized it according to Indian tastes, trying to change it to Indian tastes and colours even, which they should not have done. This is how an SX4 or crossover sedici should look like. The duo tone or cladding and the roof rails etc. give it a macho look and stance. It could sell hotcakes if only they introduced it in original avatar. Not to forget that it (Sedici) still is a good seller in certain regions of the world.

The new Ciaz has taken design cues from all over the market and looks great. If only Honda does not pull-off another stunt with lower pricings etc. making Ciaz suffer too. None of their cars have been able to create the magic of the 1000/esteem, which made owning a sedan a mass reality. Of course human mind plays tricks too often; to me it screams more like Altis/Camry than Linea at the particular angle you posted on thread. Yes if you think of it, it does seem to have some elements of Linea also. :)

Fiat definitely has a lot to watch out for.

The Jazz and even the Fabia are the cars I would have liked to see remain in the markets for long, atleast the Fabia had great built and asthetics IMO. Perhaps Skoda will bring another Fabia in a different bracket later as they did with Octavia.

@Ravi & @ramjn, The failure with Baleno was also due to the fact that many Maruti buyers were still under the impression that it would be great on pocket with regards FE and maintenance given the Maruti brand name. But it proved to be a myth-buster even for a Maruti car at that segment. A product selling very less and high on maintenance (even more in perception than reality) is a dead or dying product. You are right Ramjn, shaking Honda esp. in petrol segment even with honda's NA engines will be nothing short of a miracle. I just wish people see what a great package the T-jet Linea is even today compared to the Japanese, Korean or even German brands.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    bharath, prabhjot and kailasmenon2000 like this.
  5. bibin

bibin Regolare

The kerb weight of ms ciaz (a proper sedan) as it is called is less than punto evo active mjd.
    Ciaz- 1105.
    Punto evo active-1154.
    Old punto mjd-1130.

Does that mean the built quality/structural capability of ciaz is less than punto hatchback?
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Isn't it ms cars well known for tin cans? ;)
    So yep build quality is something ms fans don't want or care about.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Except for SX4. Weighs as much as a Linea. No wonder it didnt sell well :)
    Although I must clarify, it is also about the way the cars are built and not just the sheer mass of the metal. Although this argument borders dangerously on the side of the Honda City and its ilk, I guess one must have all the right structural components at the right places. I do not think that the Scorpio/Bolero are as well built as an XUV. Nor is the Safari/Sumo as well built as the Storme/Aria, although all these are 1.6 ton-2 ton vehicles..
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  8. bibin

bibin Regolare

But zen,
    I knew it would be less than linea but it is around 50 kg's less than punto and in comparison to linea it is lighter by a whooping 105 kilos...
    Irony is "marvellous effort by ms engineers in building such a lightest premium sedan and equipping it with a fiat 1.3 engine and marketing it as the most fuel efficient at 26.2 where as we fiatians get a max of 21.3 mileage from our own engine" is what ms sellers will say.
  9. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Maruti is known for the cheap products and famous for hatchbacks. But not all hatchbacks have been a hit. After the first generation zen, swift and wagon R did well and so did alto.

Any car from Maruti stable above 10+ lacs bombed with the customers. The best examples are Kizashi and grand vitara.

Ciaz, my opinion, would have initial bookings like etios, then I doubt whether it would be able to sell in that price bracket.
    ramjn likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Now how the hell is Fiat supposed to sell the Linea in this market segment?

I mean the two current best sellers (the City and Verna) are automotive mediocrities at best, and engineering 'pigs with lipstick' at worse? Now joined by a more honest effort by Suzuki what with light, high tensile steel used etc, but one that will sell more because of reliability and ASS assurance than for any great intrinsic merits.

I have come to the conclusion that almost all buyers in this segment are more than slightly foolish, ill-informed, and given to lazy herding. I mean: how the hell can the brilliant Ford Fiesta and even better Linea not be selling much AT ALL?

Anyway, i do feel the Ciaz is very likeable, from a certain, conservative, risk-averse, value-conscious point of view.
    avnsiva and bharath like this.