1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruti 800: India's iconic car bows out

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by asimpleson, Feb 19, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    BBC News - Maruti 800: India's iconic car bows out

End of the road: Maruti Suzuki stops production of Maruti 800 - Mobile Phone | ThinkDigit News

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maruti_800

While I have never owned an 800, I definitely have some fond memories of it's sibling OMNI that was our first car (well truly a family car).

Do share your experiences about the 800 and bid farewell to this real iconic car, especially if you owned one, maybe you owe one..:D

(someone please add pics if will, the net connection has stalled to a grinding low..!)
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. I will never forget this car in my lifetime. It was our first car, I lernt driving in my dads 800. I still remember that moment when my dad gave a fly kiss to his 800 when it was taken from us by the next owner. My dad's eyes were filled with tears. Looking at that I was stunned, cudnt control my tears. That moment made me understand "A car can also be Loved deeply and madly".
    1 person likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Maruti-last-665.jpg
    The last one off the assembly line..
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    We had bought it in year 1995. I had learnt driving in Mahindra 550 jeep . When I took the wheel of 800 for the first time, it was a weird feeling sitting almost at floor level holding a minute steering wheel which could be turned in 1 hand!! It was quite fast at that time and used to be a real fun to drive car in ghat sections (when compared to Mahindra jeep). Served us till 2004 before we let it go to a family friend. It is still serving him well and reminds me of all the good times I spent with the car.
  5. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    This was my first Company car. I owned Matiz that time. 2002 was the year, 800 steering was way too hard :) but very good car for throwing anywhere in Bangalore traffic
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    We still have this car. Bought in 98; I, my dad and few of my relative learnt driving in this car. Its still serving us without fuss, never let us down; I mean NEVER. Period.
    There is no chance that we will be selling it. light and zippy, very fun to drive. Agree that it doesnt have any safety features, but for the price it was a steal,
    after padmini, people were getting bucket seats,front seat belts, seat recliner,seat slider, never opening the bonnet and filling water in radiator, synchromesh gear!! features were endless..
    2 people like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Maruti Cervo - the would-be replacement of Maruti 800

640px-5th_Suzuki_Cervo.jpg

Maruti Suzuki
    , the Indian subsidiary of Suzuki is planning to launch a reduced version of Cervo in Indian market as a competition to Tata Nano.[SUP][15][/SUP] Suzuki expects to regain the market prominence in the small car segment it had enjoyed during the era of Maruti 800. Maruti Cervo is priced between Rs 150,000 - Rs 200,000 (ex-showroom Delhi), which would be markedly higher than the price of a Tata Nano. The Cervo was expected to be rolled out within 2010.[SUP][16][/SUP] As per the latest media report the car will hit the Indian market in the year 2014 and the expected price will be Rs 200,000 - Rs. 350,000.[SUP][17][/SUP]

Links —
    Maruti Suzuki Cervo - Price, Review, Pics, Specs & Mileage in India | CarDekho ; Suzuki Cervo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia