1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruthi sheet metal thickness!! for the new Swift and Dzire its dangerously thin!

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by macky, May 22, 2012.

1. macky

macky Amatore

hi teky!!

i have no doubts about the core frame and the beams that protect the occupants in a Swift, all i am saying is the sheet metal used to build the outer shell is very thin in new Swift/Dzire when compared to the older ones and i am just pointing about the ease with which they can be deformed even in small accidents which will cost you a bomb. The other day my friends punto rear ended a waggie and the waggies bumber was out and also the damage was visible on the rear wheel arch and all that punto had was slight paint peel off!! On some other day a biker fell on my punto's door and all it had was a small scratch which is not even visible!! Imagine what would have happened if it was a swift!
  2. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Couple of Links I found on the Euro NCAP rating websit comparison of Punto and Swift. Overall punto scores over swift.

Fiat Grande Punto | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating
    Suzuki Swift | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Couple of Questions: (Excuse if they are too lame)
    1. The punto described in test is three door version, are these test results applicable for cars manufactured at India?
    2. Manufacturers does not talk about maximum impact / force the metal body can withstand, could not find any website detailing same.

Just got interested in knowing more about same.
  3. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Few things i would like to highlight is , Thickness of sheet material and weight is not only critera to decide on cars build quality .

here is one video of old chevy ( thick sheet - long car /long bonnet - high weight ) Vs new chevy model ( less weight , steel material thickness is low )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

The safety trend is moving towards low vehicle weight without compromising on safety.

Honda is doing 3D lock stream strcuture - steel alumumin usage , keep thickness low , adjust CG for stability.

more info

Honda Worldwide | February 18, 2013 "Honda Develops New Technology to Join Steel and Aluminum with World's First Application to the Door Panel of Mass Production Vehicles"

Work is in progress on few exciting technique like “local laser reinforcement”
    ---- This approach involves using low-cost, low-strength steel sheets with minimized wall thickness and reinforcing them locally only in those areas that are subject to strong stresses. To do this, the experts guide a focused laser beam over the surface of the unprocessed sheet. The zones treated in this way heat up or even begin to melt, before solidifying again. The heat dissipates quickly into the adjacent cold material, causing the track to cool down rapidly. This produces hard phases and the material is significantly strengthened. It obtain strengths of up to 1,500 MPa (megapascals).
  4. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have 2 incidents to share:
    1) i Once hit a Wagon R from behind....actually that stupid person suddenly braked in the middle of the road..I was driving at 10-20 kmph....To my surprise his bumper was broken completely from left side.....and there was hardly any scratch in my solid Punto :).......i was almost laughing at that poor guy.

2) I stopped at a signal in Ghaziabad ( i really cursed my self as no one was stooping at redlights and i stopped)...A stupid, idiot guy in a Duster was taking a turn and i think instead of pressing brake he must have pressed accelerator. he hit my car from behind and yes there was a bang sound. I immediately was praying that there was not much damage and to my surprise there was no dent in the bumper only few scratches and a small bump in the boot door.

This is how strong our Punto is which is universally acknowledged........:)
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    2 people like this.