1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Maruthi sheet metal thickness!! for the new Swift and Dzire its dangerously thin!

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by macky, May 22, 2012.

1. macky

macky Amatore

Hi,
    I know japs are known for light weight cars, but not as bad as the new Swift/Dzire/Eritga. when i and my friend went to take a TD of Ertiga, i just touched the fender and i can easily push it and for once i thought its made out of plastic and on a closer look i realised its metal, which is almost like plastic.The sheet metal thickness was so small that its very easy to deshape it. so, i looked at Ritz out of curiosity and that was better and even the older swift and Dzires were better. I wonder if at all they can be dented and repainted in case of any small accidents.
    2 people like this.
  2. I have heard it as .7mm but high tensile steel,Any way hardly few cars have the sheet metal strength as Punto/Linea, you will be surprised even punto 's sheet metal thickness is .7 as per FIAT engineer but ....
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    0.7MM on Punto? I gotta look this up.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am not surprised over Ertiga's thin metal sheet when I came to know that the Kerb weight of Ertiga is indeed less than that of SX4.
  5. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    Infact Punto & Vento, Kerb weight differs by just 5 Kgs... :D Punto being a hatchback, is 5Kgs less than Vento being a Sedan... :D
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Guys it's the tensile strength which matters and not the thickness. All cars will be built with lighter metals to enhance the fuel efficiency and same time should have enough strength to withstand any shunt. Any car which gets deformed properly during a collision doesn't mean it's built in a bad way, it's just manufactured to protect the occupants. The lighter weight aids the agility and quicker sprints for the Japs, where as heavier Fiat's loose on acceleration but stay steady at triple digit speeds. Each of the vehicle is designed in a different way and we loose some and gain some, after all beggars can't be choosers.
    1 person likes this.
  7. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is wrong information Pramod. Vento is indeed heavier than all Fiats currently.

Vento TDI - 1220 Kgs
    Linea MJD - 1210 Kgs
    Punto 75 - 1130 kgs
    Punto 90 - 1144 kgs
  8. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
  10. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    That's what makes me wonder... 5 Kgs difference between a hatchback & a Sedan...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012