1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Manual Boost Controller

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by whitepunto76, Jul 28, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Based on reviews from other forums, below is the specs of GrimmSpeed MBC.
    • Over 250 Way Adjustable
    • Heavy Duty SST Dual Ball Detent System -clicks with each turn for active feedback
    • Laser Etched Scale and Labels -easy to read and repeat precise adjustments
    • Extra Long Travel Spring -ONE spring, no need to switch springs
    • Superior Range without Sacrificing Resolution -0-60 PSI capabilities with ultra-fine adjustments
    • Universal Mounting Solution
    • CNC'd From 6061 Aluminum -incredibly durable and ergonomic
    As per the tuner, Boost gauge is not mandatory as of now. But adds value if you intend to change settings to increase/decrease boost.
    If you are buying MBC, better to also buy gauge. Its safety recommendation becos, if boost is too much it will directly impact the turbo.
  2. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    that's some really good read! boostgauge for me was to ensure that I can see the boost being produced at all regimes of driving
  3. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Main intent of my post was this.

Found this as part of instruction from Hallman Manual Boost Controller

" In order to increase boost safely Hallman recommends waiting to install a boost controller until after you have upgraded the intake and exhaust to allow your engine to breathe freely "

So, would it be wise to use the MBC without making the vehicle breath more freely than in stock condition ?
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar.g

You are bang on target what I am explaining from day 1 in my post on page 2 point 6.This is a very grey area which no tuner will guarantee the result I have given hints in all my points.
    Believe me to decrease the turbo lag is not a very big deal even you I and any body who is graduate and is from science stream can do that with simple mathematics but what big deal is to maintain the power graph and decrease the turbo lag. My emphasis is without increasing the power then its a big deal.The graph of power to RPM you might have seen it rises stays stable for some time and then drops now. Anybody can tune and draw a graph by lifting the values and in that case the peak output will also rise and the graph will shift towards left indicating more power at lower rpm thus low lag.But the real game is to increase the peak line distance and move it towards origin. Hope I am clear if not the will upload the hand sketch on that
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Good points. Few more as per my naive understanding.
    Initially, it starts with Boost Controllers => Exhausts& Intake Manifold upgrades => Cold Air Intake => InterCoolers upgrade => BOV - Blow-off Valve. All these are related to controlling the boost from Intake to Exhaust flows. Wastegates are designed to operate as per its specs. Boost creeps are one of the main reasons with all these modifications. Additionally, there are risks associated to it. Ultimately once turbo blows off, upgrade the turbo to higher capacity. Options are multi-fold.

One of the reviews mentioned:
    Factory intake and exhaust systems are generally more restrictive than aftermarket performance parts. Upgrading intake and exhaust components may induce boost creep where it was not present before. An increase in flow into and out of the turbo requires an increase in wastegate flow to maintain target boost pressure at each RPM. If wastegate flow is near capacity prior to installing intake/exhaust upgrades, or those upgrades cause a large increase in flow, freeing the system up can put the wastegate flow requirement beyond capacity at which point the boost level becomes out of control.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

When you know all this then why are you deliberately stepping your foot on axe. Believe me there is no reason to put your money on a outdated drive tech with zero assurance from transmission that it can handle that increase of burst.If you really are a enthusiast then try the full mod by rebuilding a scrap car. It will make much more sense.
    No qualms I do not mean any disrespect just my thinking
    whitepunto76 likes this.
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Due to lack of experts like the Code 6 / Bay 6 in NCR think will not be willing to get into any more mods. The Wolf Maps are keeping me happy for now and dont feel any turbo lag. Neither do we have roads to do constant 3 digit speeds. But will keep studing the subject and learning.

For a short span of time did think about chaning to K&N or BMC filter, but will be even dropping that idea as on same cost can change the stock filter atleast 20 times and even at 10K interval change 20 filters will last 200K km.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @KKAUL & others:
    Seeking your technical expertise.

If I want to use MBC to increase the power, what best we can work upon along with upgraded remap.
    Discussed with tuner. He confirmed to modify the Booster tables/WGDC cycles to suit the increased boost pressure in MBC.
    And the tuning to be done within the threshold limits. This is the max we can do for Punto FGT. Also, seems like the downpipe mod may not provide good results in Punto FGTs. Hence, would like to go ahead with only MBC fitted and upgraded map.
    Overall, this is the final mod i had in my mind to MJD FGT engine. Need high level steps on how to proceed.
    Also, checked few of UK tuners websites. Most of them are providing good reviews of using MBC with tuned remaps.

Rebuilding a scrap car is another project.
    Probably a MM540/550 jeep which I may start by end of year. My mind goes into dream-mode. :)
    kunwar.g likes this.
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

FGT any day is better than VGT in terms of longetivity abuse and reliability.
    As far as putting MBC is concerned till now the remapper would have removed the limiter maps and would have easily boosted the performance.
    After installing MBC it is totally a new game because now he has to write limiter cycle so as to prevent turbo failure. I can't comment what limiter he is thinking of and what peak boost he is aiming but when you remap it do it through rigorous testing and putting conditions where you think boost spike might appear for eg. accelerating suddenly and braking immediately in this case check light should not appear.
    Also take due care with the springs as they might work good in UK environment but in India you know anything is possible.

As far as rebuilding a MM 540 is considered I thought you might have been interested in Building a Lamborghini from scrap Linea T jet but your interest seem to be different. You like it rough . Anyways I would have always wanted to join somebody on that development project and hope I would have proved to be much of a asset .To build a master piece just like Hummer but unfortunately not possible for me in near future.
    all the best
    kunwar.g likes this.
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    MBC is only applicable for FGT and not for VGT(for people who are interested)..
    kunwar.g likes this.