1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Manual Boost Controller

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by whitepunto76, Jul 28, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,

Any of you know how to order Manual Boost Controller from Amazon.com or ebay.com to India.
    I am trying to order GrimSpeed MBC from Amazon. Its not allowing any India shipping option.
    Please advice.
  2. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can order from India but delivery will be in US only...
    U have to catch hold of someone in US to collect
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    How about AliExpress? Will they ship to India. May be they will add additional shipping charges.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

Would you mind telling what exactly are you upto using all this stuff.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @whitepunto76 : You can also try iBhejo.com. They also send the US products to India. In fact if they dont have a product, they list it within 24 hours if it is possible for them. Otherwise AliExpress is there that should offer faster shipping.
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76 - Any update on the manual boost control. Please share the goal of getting this. Maybe we can help each other as i see you are from Bangalore and interested in such mods
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    OK. Initially, i was thinking of going for decat & downpipe. But, wanted to try the wastegate actuator settings to increase boost to increase power & holding the turbo in linearly in all RPM range.
    Mine is FGT and hence the variation of boost cannot be maintained in low rpms & high rpms.
    In VGT, as I understand manages the turbo control based on the low rpm & high rpm using variable vanes in turbo.
    VGT engines are best for remaps and transforms into beast because of its good engine internals.
    I assume VGT comes with Garret T35 turbo in Punto. In FGT, its KKK turbo most probably.

Aim: To increase the boost so that turbo is controlled all through the gears & rpm ranges as needed by individual driver
    Increasing fuel flow without controlling turbo pressure is not good. This is to increase the oxygen flow to burn all the fuel completely.
    Increasing fuel with less air flow is not good. Its like wasting the increased fuel.

Process:
    Initial option is to fiddle with wastegate actuator to increase the boost pressure to around 21-24 psi.
    Few mechanics do perform some tinkering to modify the actuator and improve the boost.

Wastegate without controller:
    Boost works against the spring holding the wastegate to shut
    as pressure raises wastegate opens proportionately
    At this moment this activity reaches equilibrium however there is relative delay in wastegate being open.
    This would be bad for quick boost that is needed.

Wastegate with controller:
    Typical Ceramic Ball & spring Check valve installed between manifold side & wastegate side
    Boost works against the spring in check valve keeping wastegate shut
    However, during the ceramic ball & spring operation at desired pressures allow higher deg of boost control to regulate the wastegate opening. Normally it regulates the wastegate opening at higher boost. Meaning, the turbo spool gives quick boost at low rpms and maintains good spool in high rpms as well.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 12, 2015 ---
    Some of the MBCs available in market:
    Perrin Manual Boost Controller
    Prosport MBC
    Hallman Pro RX manual boost controller
    GrimmSpeed Manual Boost Controller

There is an awesome thread on MBC testing.
    http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/555499-mbc-testing-boosted-tuning.html

upload_2015-8-12_13-42-33.png
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    extr3mex likes this.
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    try sourcing it from some one returning from the US. size of the item is almost same as that of a AA battery.
    Grimspeed are the high end variants that wont be required for the turbo of a punto or a linea. you can go for any normal/universal MBC from 1-30 psi range. Even prosport, is considered excess for the requirements.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 12, 2015 ---
    Consider ordering from

dx.com

not necessary to go for the high end variants.
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If can wait for a month or two I can help source it from USA :) Maybe will get one for myself, but first need to understand the gains as most that i have read it too technical for me for now :)
  10. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    Mine is coming in 10 days time. Got it through a friend coming back from the U.S. had ordered it through amazon prime for delivery at US.