1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mamma Mia - White Stallion rides home - BNW Grande Punto MJD emotion.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by ghodlur, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Seat covers done yesterday at Orchis Kailash complex near Hiranandani gardens Powai. The material is art leather and variant is Marigold with thickness of 1.1-1.2mm. The reason for going to this one is that it has cotton inserts at the back and is advertised to regulate temperature better than the rest. Front seats, rear seats, arm rest and door inserts done. I had asked for an extra layer of padding in the driver side seat for under thigh support. The guys did a fabulous job although it took longer than they promised. Very professional work, could see showroom delivered cars making their way to the shop for seat cover.

The website is http://www.orchis.in/

The smell of the new seat covers is simply awesome. :):););):p:p.

P_20151208_165949.jpg

P_20151208_171319.jpg

P_20151209_075304.jpg

P_20151209_075317.jpg

P_20151209_075417.jpg

P_20151209_075441.jpg

P_20151209_075451.jpg

P_20151209_075509.jpg

P_20151209_075523.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
    Turbothinghy, carl_jhonson and KPR like this.
  2. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur How is the under thigh support now? Kindly update us. I'm lacking with under thigh support in my punto. (No seat cover yet in mine). Moreover the seats are getting soiled quite fast in fiats. I found these in test drive cars, my friend's 2 year old linea.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @KPR

You cannot get a 100% under thigh support, reason being incorrect seat design. What you can do is bolster the area on the seat where the thigh rests with some additional foam. That's precisely what I have done.

So whenever you opt for seat covers, ask them to add additional foam at that specific area to provide under thigh support.
    KPR likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    A few days back I observed the Punto's roof and bonnet very rough. I initially thought washing would make it normal, however the roughness remained even after the wash and post wash waxing. I guess something must have spilled on the roof and bonnet and my guess is this must have happened when I had left my car at Orchis for seat cover installation.

Now I will have to get it thoroughly detailed. Fortunately 3M has opened an outlet closer to home, will have to try this coming weekend.
    PradeepM likes this.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Two issues irritating me during my peaceful drives.

1) The MMI GPS unit power cable is hanging and interferes with gear stick during gear shifting. Will need a longer mini USB charging cable (MMI unit has mini USB port connections & does not sell a longer charger cable).

2) The Arm rest vertical movement is super smooth and flips very easily making it cumbersome to open the arm rest flap.

Any solutions to both???
  6. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur
    As far as the universal arm rest do not try to use it as a storage compartment. May be only for toll ticks and some cash notes. Not even coins. I saw the same arm rest in my bro's old wagon R. The front seats cushion just pressed the arm rest on either sides gave the arm rest a tight fit. Tightening the movement of arm rest vertically. It was more good in Wagon R. So use yoga mats/ stitch cushion and fill gap on left and right sides between plastic of arm rest and seats restricting its vertical movement.
    ghodlur likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Today got the Wheel alignment and wheel balancing done for my Punto at Premji Tyre plus in Thane. Also got the tyre rotation done, front tyres to the rear and rear to the front. Got the N2 filling privilege card. Total cost rs 1000/-. Noted that the rear toe readings still out of the limits, I was told that rear toe readings for the Punto cannot be adjusted due to dead rear axle and no provisions for the adjustments. Is that true? Meanwhile at the store, I learnt that the Amaron Din 55 battery costed 5491/- and with rs 500/- buyback for old battery, the final cost for battery comes to Rs 4931/-

Got the fluids checked as I am planning a road trip come this Wednesday. Found the coolant to be lesser than normal. So got the coolant topped up at Balaji Fiat (although it is no longer a FASS, but got it done any ways)

Got the PUC done for the Punto, costed Rs 150/- valid till June 2016.
    Pradeepms and mchanna like this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Finally the big road trip happened. Covered 1500 kms during the trip achieving a mileage of 22.4 kmpl with 31 hrs of driving approx.

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/adv...ur-badami-bijapur-thane.13511/#post-841951883

To put in short:
    Started from Thane on 23rd Dec to Pune for a night stay at inlaws place. Traffic at 11 am till Panvel was chaotic with a few heavy vehicle breaking down on Thane Belapur road. From then smooth drive. Started for Bijapur on 24th dec morning. Getting out of Pune at 7 am to reach NH9 Pune Solapur highway was a breeze. The drive to Solapur was peaceful but was getting bored. God answered my prayers and near Tembhurni the 4 laned highway turned into 2 laned which sharpened my overtaking skills. Lot of heavy vehicle movement on the stretch kept me alert. Just before Solapur had brunch at Vitthal Kamat's (about 26 kms before Solapur) .

Traversing Solapur city to access Bijapur road was again a breeze, thanks to MMI GPS unit. On the way to Bijapur there was a huge inverted speed breaker (I guess purposefully made by villagers), the Punto at 80 speeds just went airborne and for a moment I thought it will hit the underbody hard but did not. Thankfully there was a milder thud than expected. Continued and reached Bijapur around 1 pm. Inspected the front and rear bumpers to check if any major issues and found none. Faith in Punto build quality reassured. Saw the Gol Gumbaz, Bara kaman and Taz bavdi

On 25th Did a Bijapur - Badami - Pattadkal - Aihole- Almatti Dam - Bijapur trip. Total distance was 300+ kms approx. Roads were through villages mainly hence speed took a beating as did the avg. But I must have surely crossed almost 1000+ speed breakers in that 300 kms drive. Badami cave temples were superb so were temples at Pattadkal and Aihole. Aihole was nothing very great to write about but still has heritage looks. Almatti dam was massive and so was the rock garden.

on 26th Dec did the Bijapur city tour. Visited Uppali Buruz, Mallik e maidan, Ibrahim Roza, Jod Gumbaz. Did this trip on a rickshaw hired for rs 200 for half day.

On 26th Afternoon itself started for Akkalkot. Road to Akkalkot was not so great to write about but I started hearing the rattle from the dashboard. Suspected the air borne antic to be the reason for the same. The rattle was not continuous. It used to come strangely on smooth roads and disappear on broken roads. Thats Fiat for us, you never know whats gonna happen next. Reached Akkalkot at 5 pm. Had the darshan, stayed for a night.

on 27th Dec, did the Akkalkot Tuljapur run via Solapur. The darshan here took 4 hrs but was worth every moment spent in the line. Wife wanted to stay there for a night but I insisted that we reach Pune. Started at 2 pm and reached Pune at 8 pm.

on 28th dec, back to Thane from Pune.

Highlights:
    1) Fatigue free driving in Punto. Wife kept giving me that quizzical look "Arent you tired, should we pull over" and every time I gave here a smirky look "None whatsoever".
    2) Fantastic mileage. 22.4 kmpl with speeds at 80-90. Even after driving through villages, broken roads etc.
    3) Low diesel price in Bijapur. 48.88 per litre, almost 5 rs less than Thane.
    4) High GC of the Punto helped crossing the monstrous speed breakers.
    5) MMI GPS extremely accurate. Due to my mistake in interpreting the indications on couple of occasions, I entered a wrong lane.
    6) Having the arm rest installed helped a lot in relaxing the left hand. Also provided the reqd storage.

Lowlights:
    1) Sun shades installed on the car not effective as per my wife. Also paying tolls through passenger side window was hampered due to the sun shades.
    2) The MMI GPS cable being too short was hampering the gear movement at times.

I will post a few pics of the monuments shortly.
    pabhishek, Pradeepms and GirishRaghu like this.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Posting pics as mentioned earlier.

Bijapur:

Adil Shah's tomb inside Gol Gumbaz
    DSCN2256.JPG

Mighty Gol Gumbaz
    DSCN2253.JPG

Cannons outside the Gol Gumbaz
    DSCN2251.JPG

DSCN2249.JPG

Bara Kaman which was started by son of Adil Shah but never got completed. History says that till date not a single stone is altered or fallen down form the structure
    DSCN2307.JPG

Uppali Buruz or Haider Buruz which houses 2 cannons one weighing 32 tons and other 11 tons. 32 ton cannon could fire upto a distance of 6kms whereas other cannon could fire upto 2 kms.
    DSCN2290.JPG

Bringing such heavy metal to fort was impossible, hence each cannon was broken down into bangles, brought up and then fused with each other. Notice the rings on the cannon. My son was trying to guage the width of the cannon
    DSCN2295.JPG

This cannon is at Mallik e maidan. Again weighing approx 30 tons, this was broken into 3 parts and carried over to the structure where they were fused. The best part was the cannon can be rotated 180 degree to counter any attack.
    DSCN2301.JPG

DSCN2307.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 1, 2016 ---
    Badami pics:

DSCN2147.JPG

DSCN2141.JPG

DSCN2142.JPG
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  10. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Drive is the word for most of the FIAT owners and you are no exception :).
    Nice and crisp documentation of the trip and what a way to close the year.
    I liked the highlights and low lights. Also on the window sunshades, I personally felt they are effective in my car. I infact miss them even for a day when they are taken out for a rinse and drying. I do agree that it is not convenient at toll gates as one has to open the door and pay the fee instead of just rolling down the window. In our recent trip (October) to Kerala via Bangalore which has numerous toll gates, we felt the sunshades helped us more with a little too trouble at toll plaza's.
    Personally I got used to the shades and now after 10 months I don't find any issues in reversing the car as well, in fact I feel less irritated as the lights from the rear don't flash directly into my eyes as I have installed a rear windshield sunshade as well.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    ghodlur likes this.