1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mamma Mia - White Stallion rides home - BNW Grande Punto MJD emotion.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by ghodlur, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    In my case a handful of WD40 did the trick, now the door locks are far more easy operatable than before:-D. No visit to the workshop.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Since couple of days of reporting the issue, there has been no instance of it happening again. I guess the issue was resolved on its own without any need for workshop visit.
    But a new issue has cropped up. When I enter the car and close the driver side door, the door autmatically locks. The locking sound is heard for a couple of times. Whenever I open the door, the same auotlocking sound is heard atelast a couple of times.
    Earlier the door used to auto lock when the speed reached 20kmph. I dont know whats changed. Is there something programmable on the car key which has changed this? I havent checked the autolock feature setting as yet. Or this is also one of those issue which gets automatically resolved on its own.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

The auto lock feature can be enabled or disabled through the MID menu. Nothing to do with the key.

After you lock via central locking, check all four doors and boot if they are locked. If one of them is playing spoil sport then you get this lock unlock phenomenon.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I had specifically checked if all the doors + boot are closed and found this issue happening inspite of all of them secured firmly. The other confirmation is I dont see the door open indication on the console nor any message of any door opened when this issue is observed. Has it got something to do with the battery charge coz I see the cabin lights dimming momentarily when the auto locks is activated.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Mmmm, no. Punto's cabin lights dim for everything. Even when AC compressor turns on. Power windows, turn indicators, etc.

Not sure what the issue is now. You mean to say that instead of usual auto lock at 20kmph, it happens now as soon as you close the door?
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Yes, thats correct. When the Speed reaches 20kmph, nothing happens since the doors are already autolocked. Reg the cabin lights dimming, the lights stay on unless you start the engine. Now I havent started the engine as yet but the lights flicker when the auto locking operation happens.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

This is unusual. Take her to the ASS. Might be signs of something else coming up. The locks have a high failure rate.

And the cabin lights do not stay on until u start the engine. They stay on for a time period, 10/20 seconds. If you turn on the key to MAR befor this time delay, the lights go off theatrical style. :) Similarly when you turn off the engine and while key is still inserted cabin lights do not come on. Once you pull the key out, the lights come on. Thoughtful!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Need a restart,try the "know windows restart" kind,reset the ECU once by removing the battery terminals.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    An update:

I checked the settings for the Autoclose on the MID, surprisingly found the Travelling setting to be Off. Switched it back to ON which means that the door autoclosing will happen when the car is travelling and reached 20kmph mark. Dont know how the settings could have changed. Its wait and watch mode now.

One more querry - How can I improve the illumination at the rear bench? Would a real reading lamp suffice? The cabin lights are totally ineffective at the rear.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    An update: No change in the issue status. Inspite of the programming correctly set for Autoclose functionality (Autoclose>Travelling>ON), the doors do close automatically without the car moving an inch. This has made the rear door opening an headache since I have set the child lock features. Discussed the issue with the Balaji Service Advisor Wilson during my recent visit to the workshop when Abhishek (Abhisheksil) had requested to accompany to the workshop for the rear door locking issue in his T-Jet. The advisor opined that the issue might be due to one of the door locks getting shorted or wiring issues. Cant rule out both the issue since my car was parked in open during the complete monsoons. Have booked a visit on Saturday to check the issue.