1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mamma Mia - White Stallion rides home - BNW Grande Punto MJD emotion.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by ghodlur, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    One update and one query.

Update: Balaji Fiat, Thane had invited me for the Punto Evo inaguration today at 11 am, a day after it was officially launched. Dont understand why this delay. Anyways have confirmed them about my visit to check out the new car in the evening.

Lately have been seeing some difficulty in notching the gear to the 3rd from 2nd. It feels stuck and gear doesnt immediately slots into 3rd. Any particular reason for this? Is it because of monsoons? I didnt have this issue till date.

Query: Its monsoon season and the fogging on the inside of front windshield is a known fact which is generally removed using the AC directed towards the windshield. Even I do that. However lately have been seeing smudge marks on the inside of the front windshield which is prominently seen when the fogging starts to disappear. Any ideas about the same and how can it be removed. Ideally the inside of the fornt windshield should be crystal clear.
  2. narenvaidee

narenvaidee Timido

chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Ghodlur - I have a query for you (and for the others having 2012+ Puntos). How's the ride quality? My 2 month old Punto (all stock!) is quite bumpy, and I have tried various tyre pressures and also tried nitrogen - nothing helps. The shock absorption when ridden over potholes is good and smooth. However, it's unsettling to notice that I'm not getting the famed carpet ride on flat road surfaces with minute 'ripple-like' inundations. Any ideas? I know there are various threads if I search for 'bumpy-ride', but the suggestions are inconclusive. Please share your thoughts on ride quality.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Two reasons I can think of for the issue you mentioned - Wrong tyre pressures, incorrect wheel alignment/balancing. Also the flat road surfaces is a myth, it no longer exists thanks to the municipal corportations and other fames agencies. However I dont deny the fact that yes there is slight bumpiness being felt on concrete and tar roads, I assume the suspension tweaking for higher GC done by Fiat might be one of the reason. I think I have read on the forum about people going back to the pre 2012 suspension setup to avoid the bumpy ride.

Coming back to the recent issues observed in my Punto.
    1) The driver side window makes hell of a noise while rolling up & down. I guess the motor is the culprit and will need some attention.
    2) There was a door open indication on the console while driving back home. This also caused the auto door locking feature to be disabled. Stopped the car to check if any doors havent been closed and found all the doors closed perfectly. But still the indication. Finally after some testing found the boot door was the culprit (although it was closed corectly int he first place). Opened the boot door, locked the doors and then closed the boot door and the indication was gone for the time being. What could be the reason? Surprisingly the door open indication on the console didnt indicate which door, hence suspected the boot to be the issue. Will get it checked during the forthcoming workshop visit.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    There is one more issue which has cropped up recently & I failed to mention it.

The slotting of gears from 2nd to 3rd is becoming a bit of troublesome. The smooth slotting isnt happening, sometimes I get a feeling the gear stick is stuck mid way. As if the clutch's long travel wasnt enough, the gear also doesnt perfectly slot. This has been happening ever since the Monsoons started. What could be the issues? Are these signs of gear box failure or poor maintenance? When is the gear box maintenance done as per schedule?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Happens sometimes with gears, i too had this problem during my recent trip on highway was stuck in 2nd gear and was very hard to move to 3 rd. Did spirited driving with gears shifts continously, problem got resolved.Now its butter smooth.Try once.
  6. narenvaidee

narenvaidee Timido

chennai
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Ganges - so how did you resolve that problem with gears getting stuck?

Godhlur - I don't think it'd be gear box problem. It's just that the clutch cable is a little stiff and needs to be changed. How many KMs have you done so far?
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    naren,
    Now why should i worry when the problem got resolved on its own.May be in between punto needs spirited driving.
  8. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges

I also feel that Punto MJD required some heavy work out in between. If I drive my Punto continuously in city for say 3 - 4 weeks straight. I feel gears become hard between 2 and 3, also initial pick up becomes lethargic. Once taken to highway and hard revv in 3rd gear for few seconds in two three burst. Voila things back to normal...
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Himanshu for confirming.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The car is approaching 14K kms. I felt this gear slotting issue more distinctly yesterday when I was stuck in bad crawling traffic. Also the roads were so bad, had to constantly keep shifting between 2 and 3rd gears. At some point I felt I was smelling strong clutch burning too. But once I hit the highways, with fewer gear shifts I guess the issue wasnt so prominent.

Has anybody been able to use the dead pedal in the Punto? I for one havent been able to do so, since the clutch pedal is too close to the dead pedal and not at the same level too. :sad1