1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Major Issue - Engine Stalling / switching off abruptly

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Joeanil, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    I doubt the FIAT examiner has shown nothing. Either the Service center doesnt have lates FIAT examiner version or he has not examined it properly.
    There are two types of error, one is general and other is blocker, the ECU records all sort of unwanted happenings. Even the "Low Engine Oil" error that sometimes user gets when the car stops abruptly due to poor clutch release etc. Examiner allows deletion of the general error logs on a single click, but the blocker error log cannot be deleted unless the issue is resolved.

I am very sure there must have been log details of engine failure (improper shutdown) logged, its possible the actual reason might not have got logged but shutdown would have been surely logged. It even records if a sensor fails temporarily (lose connection, one has to go through the chronology of log to find what would have happened.

If the service guy runs a check error on examiner, he will get "no error found" if that issue is not currently in active state. Which means that there are fair bit of chances that there has been some lose connection which breaks the connection in a certain drive condition. And since its not complete mechanical failure, it could have not been detected in ECU check.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    :confused1 It is quite possible that they have scanned only for active errors and did not do a log scan, which is required to identify problems like loose connection. But if that is what really happened it shows the service person has very inexperienced. :thumbs down
  3. Joeanil

Joeanil

Chennai
    Guys, guess the issue is resolved. Faulty Fuel Pump and ECU have been replaced, and for the last 700+ Kms I have had no issues. Must say Fiat was very cooperative. :drinks

The car had stalled again and I had called for Breakdown service. They came along with the examiner, however by the time they reached my vehicle, it started again. Anyways, they plugged in the ECU and again it showed no errors. I had reached my wits end by then. There were 2 technicians who had come and after detecting no errors, I could get a feel that they were doubting my driving style itself. In the past the dealer’s technicians had test driven the vehicle (after my complaints) but never experienced the engine switching off issue themselves. ….the switching off was erratic and had no definite pattern.

This time I requested that they be with me and I drive the car. Drove almost for 20 kms but then nothing happened. The technicians were convinced that there was nothing wrong with my driving and on our way back, one of them requested me to allow him drive to drive. After having done a further 15 kms, the engine stopped – technician was at the wheel.

After pulling over the car, they examined few things like battery supply, fuel pump, etc….conceded that there was an issue and took the car away (it started after 20 min break by itself).

Anyways, after the harrowing experience I am now back to enjoying the lovely drives….:p<o:p></o:p>

Thanks for all your suggestions….

Wish you all a happy and safe driving !!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Glad to hear that you are satisfied.
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    finally a happy ending.
  6. Glad to hear that the issue is permanently put to rest.
  7. good news.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Thread Cleaned.
    @ Joeanil - Please don't use excessive smileys, it spoils the looks of post for readers.
    Others - Please post to topic.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    A happy ending. Good Congratulations
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    100 % agreed . I was also using great FIAT UNO (FIRE) for 9 years.

@ Joeanil

Iam also facing problem of loss of power & poor low end torque from last 40000 KM. There are no ECU errors. As mentioned by one member , a good technician never depends upon ECU examiner.
    After all ECU examiner is a small computer. Human brain is always big daddy of computer. It is not important what the ECU Examiner is showing. It is important that what the person feels while driving the car.

TATA is doing beach of trust of FIAT customers by depending on results of ECU Examiner.
    FIAT are you listening ?
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011