1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Major Issue- Crack developed in front windshield in 5 month old Punto dynamic

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by ashishmalviya27@gmail.com, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Dear All,

One of my friend ( He is not in this forum , Yeasterday I aksed him to join this forum ) purchased punto dyanamic 5 month back.. I suggested him to go for punto , he was bit hesitant to buy punto because of poor service of Fiat and was looking for some other options . However finaly he purchased it bacause of many reasons we already know about punto.

on 16th Oct,2014 when he was cleaning the windshield with normal hot water , all of a sudden a small crack developed when he dropped the water from bucket on windsheild. Due to vibrations during driving this Propagated in L shape (Pictures are attached ) and now became a long crack.

He informed this to dealer ( Thrust fiat , Noida) from where he purchased the car and next day wrote a mail to them for replacement of windshield under warrenty. We are failing to understand that how without being hit or impact car windshield has cracked. He was cleaning the windsheild using his naked hand so its obvious the water was not the boiling water and was hardely at 32-35 Deg C.

He is not getting any support from the dealer and dealer is in perception that it is due to impact by some object, some obeject (stone etc) might have hit the windhsield and my friend is developing his own story of all of a sudden crack developement.

My friend has written a mail to fiat customer care also but from there also he is not getting proper reply.

He is now thinking of going to consumer court and report all this incedent in social network sites .

1) Is punto windshield is so delicate ?
    2) What he should do now to get it replced under warrenty ?

2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Normally windshield shouldn't crack without any impact. In case of impact there should be one point where stone or anything else impacted.
    Your friend should have got it checked when he saw first crack.

Insurance is other option to use to get it replaced.
  3. Yes insurance claim is one option. But Fiat should replaced it as it is due to poor quality of glass used
  4. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Really Unfortunate...

Windshield costs Rs.5,400/- approx at Windshield Experts. Try Windshield Experts and get a quote. You would loose the No Claim Bonus if you claim insurance.

5. Why should he pay from his pocket or why he should claim from insurance and loose no claim bonus ( in both the cases he is the looser). Fiat should change the parts under warrenty if failure is due to poor quality of parts. Had it been due to an accident , He would have replaced it either from his own pocket or by insurance claim. He is intentionally not replacing it and waiting reply from Fiat on the issue. I think Fiat should bear this loss.
  6. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

best in this case would be to fight with Fiat India. Post your issue on fiat india facebook page too. Did you write to Mangesh? mangesh.kodalkar at fiat dot com
  7. Thanks .. please tell me who is mangesh kodalkar ? I will ask my friend to write a mail to this person
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

I would find it difficult to digest as quality issue.
    If it had been the same then there should have been similar case in last 5yrs.
    At first instance it doesnt look like stone hit, this type of L cracks happens when pressure is applied on side rail and crack travels in.

Most probably its an unnoticed accident issue, and I dont think FIAT can help much in this case. If they do, it will be more off goodwill gesture.
    Your friend should go for insurance claims.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    This is rare but not undocumented issue. It has certainly happened to numerous car owners all across the globe, but many go unreported due to unknown/undetermined causes. Mind you it is not necessarily a quality issue. A few precautions to be taken are not to park car in too much hot sunny environment. Leaving even a very tiny gap in one of the windows could help, esp. in these circumstances. Not use water on windshield in very hot climate, esp. when parked and accumulating heat from inside and outside cabin obviously. While I cannot delve into scientific explanations for these, it is just some of the precautions he could take in future for his own good. Also some stone or tree objects hitting and going unnoticed is always possible. I guess he was just unfortunate.

Do report to Fiat, and see if they could entertain, which is doubtful. Also rather than claiming insurance, he should look for the best deal from outside. Windshield Experts are good but not necessarily give best offer. There are much better discounts on other brands also than ASAHI, ask him to ask around in other shops.
    Murphy_Fiat and nbvcrao like this.
  10. Vipin Nauni

Vipin Nauni Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ashish for posting issue on forum.

I was washing car in the morning and all of sudden crack started propagating on front windshield.

I wrote to thrust service center (Moti Nagar) same day with pics and they asked me visit their service center. I visited their service center and there also they could not find any impact or indent on windshield.

One thing that let me surprised me was their non responsive attitude. I got first reply after 20 days when i wrote to Fiat-CRM. Such approach of a company striving for customer is beyond imagination.

Reply i got was standard one "Its not a manufacturing defect and your can claim it in insurance" without giving any proper explanation what led to crack.

As windshield has cracked in front of me and I am not willing get it repaired by claiming insurance and like you guys to suggest next course of action.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2014 ---
    Found similar issue posted on this forum. Link below

--- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 6, 2014 ---
    Another similar case found... This time with linea... it is amply clear from above two cases and mine that glass has cracked because of internal defect.

Link shared.

--- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2014 ---
    And if windshield is stone hit, there would have been indent mark which is not visible in my case

Above thread contain images of windshield hit by stone. Crack propagation is different from my case.

I have collected all data to prove my point. Please suggest me next course of action.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014