1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Major accident 'cos of abnormal behaviour of Punto

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ani1900s, Apr 29, 2014.

1. ani1900s

ani1900s Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you guys for your responses...... Sorry to not to mention some details
    1. I was driving at around 60 kmpl
    2. I totally agree that I should have stopped the vehicle after the first tremble, this is my mistake. The car came back in control and being on expressway, I thought of giving a halt where I find place to park safely; but unfortunately within couple of minutes I lost it again. I slowed down initially, but then for that 2 minute in between, the car was driving well, hence I came back to normal speed.
    3. Car is 2 years old and it is driven only for approx. 26000km; regularly serviced. In fact last service was only little over a month before the accident date.
    4. No parts were changed ever in the car; 3 months back there was a problem with intercooler hose, pickup of the car & mileage was very poor, hence hose was replaced out of warranty. They also said that the oil from hose was leaked onto the intercooler turbo.
    5. I was totally in control of the car, it did not hit anywhere; the sequence was that the car tremble, the steering lost control and the car moved in left right direction and more towards left as it went to hit the left barricade first. Then the impact put us moving in right direction where it hit on right side barricade. It was only this time that the vehicle hit right side and if you notice in the picture, the right barricade has a protruding bottom and I assume that the tyre would have directly hit this protruding edge and hence the serious damage on right side from underneath and puncturing the tyre. This impact was hard and would have caused the steering rod to be broken.
    6. Expressway usually is very clean & clear from stones and I am 100% sure that there was no stone neither any hit anywhere; first hit was left side barricade. The last hit was on right side, also the picture shows the car stopping on right side of the road. No hit on the right side body of the car; implies that the tyre took the impact and hence the consequences etc. Never had any underbody hit before, thanks to good ground clearance.
    P.S.- if the car was hit first on right side from bottom, then with the punctured tyre, I do not think we could have traveled to left side crossing 2 lanes before hitting left side. Also pay attention that there was no screech mark before the left impact, thus stating that the tyres were inflated but the control was lost.
    @ Italia-Linea, your reasons sound feasible, is there a way to diagnose the real cause?

And believe me, even I am trying hard to find the cause; the reason that my wife was in car and have seen this behaviour of car & the entire scenario, she is not willing to sit back in this car anymore. I have to make it a point that the problem is first found & then solved, only this can provide me with a point to convince my wife to drive in Punto. She too is right in her case as she saw car going berseck and we all missed death by narrow margin. Or else if no cause found & wife remains adamant then I might have to sell my Punto to buy a new one (God knows which vehicle then it will be).
    As mentioned earlier too, we also agree that it was the FIAT's strong built that have saved than what could have been a very serious accident. FIAT is a safe car, but that does not imply that there can never be a malfunction or a problem that can cause an accident, isn't it?
    P.S.- I have explained the points in a message which is subject to moderator's approval, it has all details that you all have asked for. Please bear with the time taken for the moderator to approve.

Thanks Shashank for the link....... looks like almost a similar problem as car hovered left right with no control of steering. Just a little over month before the accident i.e. in early March, I did my 3rd free service from Sky Moto Pune. During servicing, they did the wheel rotation and the wheel alignment & wheel balancing; maybe something went wrong there. If say this may be the cause for accident, then how one can really diagnose & confirm it? I never experienced any hovering anytime before; it was first time & second time in that couple of minutes period when accident occurred. You gave me a very good lead............... it seems that I might achieve something concrete now
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Firstly, it's good to know that every one is safe. I can understand what you and your wife must feel given that you were travelling with your infant child.

Everyone knows that Fiat is using tried and tested formulas in car designs for a very long time, don't know if that thought helps you. The safety of Fiat cars is also at par with most of it's european siblings. Best if you find an answer, but doubt on brand is no good and will further ruin your experience. I am not trying to defend Fiat, I am telling this purely for your sake. Trust is important. If you have even an iota of doubt that such a problem could occur again post it's repair, and want to sell the car please do so, maybe it's better for you, we have no right to suggest otherwise. Passenger security comes first and also peace of mind. You want a car you can trust; I know I would.

There is surely an explaination to this whole issue.

Couple of things that could have gone wrong in a broader perspective..(all are debatable things though.)
    1) Driving related issue. (maybe someone else who had been on steering before a few days could have hit sharp object below that lead to this problem waiting to happen in an inconspicuous way.)
    2) Maintenance issue. (someone at the SC failed to check the car previously or a component failed due to some negligence issue.)
    3) Major Design problem or flaw. (although rare, such situations do happen, but they are dealt with behind closed doors in companies.)

What I would do in such a scenario is get the car checked from multiple mechanics henceforth, and be much more proactive in dealing with slightest issues faced by the car as much as possible. And still if things are not convincing enough or beyond my scope, I would rather sell the car.

Take care.
  3. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I completely agree with you asimpleson. There is no way a car can behave like this out of nowhere, period. I guess a proper inspection is needed to find out what caused the car to behave this way.
    Ani sir, what I want to say is you were safe in the car even if it got hit this hard.
    What speed were you on?
    It might help in understanding the problem.
  4. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Sorry to hear about your strange accident. It is good to know that all occupants are safe.

As mentioned by most of the members, there should not be any doubt about FIAT build quality and now you have experienced it so there should not be any hesitation to belive in build quality.

ani1900s, after reading your posts it seems to be you own Punto since last two years but from TFI perspective you joined in April 2014, which is current month and apparently this is your first post on TFI. I hope this entire exercise is not to defame FIAT.

Wishing speedy recovery to your Punto!
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Please note that the owner of that thread was also assuming it to be wheel alignment and balancing issue and was not ablw to resolve it until he found the real issue. The issue in his own words "So the guy over there lifted my car and we find out that my rear axle is bend near to rear right tyre, my front control arm is also bend near to front right tyre...!! So i have to replace the rear axle & control arm now. I assume a small rift between my right side alloys & side of footpath is the reason for it which happened last month"

Try and recall if your car hit something for e.g. any undeerbody hit or a alloy hitting the footpath or car going into a ditch which went un noticed in the city traffic.

Any flat tyre event and you used jack or any local puncture guy using jack. Placing jack at wrong place and lifting car can also result in this. If jack is placed between axle and arm it can cause damage. Fiat has proper marking in the body for jack placement.

Since you mentioned that third service was done and alignment was done with it. Can you share the alignment report? Was an alloy bend identified then?

By doing alignment and balancing no one can do anything wrong with it. avoid linking this issue with alignment and balancing you will not achieve anything.

We people are in Pune and please feel free to pm us for any help. We can accompany you to the workshop to find out the reasons, if you wish so.

Note to all: Remain proactive on road and take extra care of your vehicle. They are machines and will work well if taken care. I faced punishment for my mistake. My intention is not to findany conclusions but just to warn fellow friends that fiats are safe but they do require care as well.
    5 people like this.
  6. miteshpunjani

miteshpunjani Amatore

vadodara-gujarat
    Ani1900 really relieved to know all on board are safe after your experience. As you have mentioned earlier that you were very satisfied till 12th April. I feel a single incident like this should not dampen your feelings for a car that you have cherished for two whole years. I am sure if this would have happened in cars of other super brands the scene would have been different. Our car is only as good as it is maintained by us.

Sent from MY GP
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very sorry to hear about this accident and happy on the other hand that the family escaped safely.

Firstly as someone already pointed out, the car should have been stopped immediately when you experienced the tremble for the first time. Aren't were ignorant enough of taking a chance for the second time?

Now, having seen the PDF from the workshop and the car in person I definitely can say that the right front wheel has sustained impact in this accident or some event prior to this. The alloy had sustained quite a good impact and the steering rack end is broken in to two pieces. As mentioned by you numerous times that the car regained control after loosing direction once is just because the rod came in contact with the other end for a short while and lost contact when steering was moved.
    Please try to recollect if the car had gone through a pothole, hit any object anytime prior to this accident.

Wishing a speedy recovery to you, your family and the Punto.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
    1 person likes this.
  8. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
  9. saptarshi.goswami

saptarshi.goswami Novizio

Pune
    Thank god you and your family are safe. It is really very horrific accident.

Now about blaming FIAT for same is not good. There are many cases even with Mercedes and BMW facing horrific accident in E-Way and no one is alive. At least FIAT saves your family.

There may be many reason for such accident. I am not an expert but expert can comment further.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  10. ani1900s

ani1900s Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you all for your responses, but Guys, majority of you are taking this discussion in a very wrong direction. There was never a question on how FIAT is built or in its design; but yes, there was and is a great concern on how FIAT treats the concerns of their customers. And if I say that they have been very ignorant and had an unprofessional approach on my serious concerns, then no one should challenge me in my case. I have proofs of their communication where they have not even shown their concern on the accident; finding the cause is an extraordinary thing to ask from FIAT currently.
    Is there any commercial vehicle sold in any part of the world that is accident prone? And can anyone bet that there are no mishaps that have happened due to some technical problem of the car? One can have 100s of assumptions post the accident on what could have gone wrong, but the real reason is only one and THIS IS MY REAL CONCERN GUYS- finding the actual cause of accident. Now am I asking something that I should not be asking?
    To answer few questions that are asked in above discussion; I live in a city away from my family, so no one else have driven my car anytime in past year. I was driving at a speed of around 60kmph and had driven around 50km from my house that day before meeting this mishap.
    I am 100% sure that nothing hit my vehicle before or on that day, and as far as some questions that are in mind that breaking of steering rod might have caused this accident, then how did the vehicle travelled 50km without a single hitch. Please understand that the last impact that I met on right side had a protruding edge, on which my right tyre would have hit and have caused that breakage underneath. Also note that there is no body hit on right side, indicating that it was the tyre that hit the divider.
    The safety standards and technology that we have today are only the consequences of the accident and the study that went into investigating the cause of accidents. Thank God, there are some people who are concerned in finding the cause of accidents rather than defending their product, or else we would have been still living in world of Ayrton Senna.
    Guys, please assist me in understanding why this could have happened or how to escalate this matter to the right person to atleast have FIAT expert visit & provide their proper diagnostic report.
    @ Shashank, thanks bro for your concern; I would love to take you to the FIAT SC to have a look at my car. Will contact in PM.
    4 people like this.