1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mahindra Scorpio 2014

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by kailasmenon2000, Sep 20, 2014.

1. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, the interiors are way better compared to the outgoing model. Initial review suggests that Mahindra has modified the suspension set up, brakes & chassis to improve the driving dynamics. Though it isn't class leading; its better compared to previous version. Though it looks like more of a refreshed version, in actual Mahindra has put in quite a bit of effort. They claim most of the components are totally new & specifically designed. No word on automatic as yet. With the kind of pricing, I feel it will provide a good competition to Dusters / Terranos'.
  2. acechip

acechip Superiore

So- what is a noteworthy upgrade from a Linea T-Jet ?Is it the new Scorpio or the Storme or the (vastly underrated ) Aria ?
    Or the all-too-common XUV ?
    One thought that comes to my mind. Whenever I upgrade from a Linea, I sure wont be in the business of supporting "struggling" models.
    bharath likes this.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One has to wait for real / users review about the new Scorpio. How about another under rated but slightly pricey option - Skoda Yeti 4*4 (now face lifted)
    I feel of all the SUVs in this price range, Yeti has fantastic highway manners and rides better.
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Then please get ready to pay excessively for too little! ;-)

I won't be upgrading my new t-jet for many many a year, in fact I may 'downgrade' to a bike (love my Vespa much more than the Fiats), but from the sound of it you're just the guy for an India-made Jeep Renegade or new Jeep Compass if and when it comes in 2016. A propah SUV/CUV! And at a fair price, with luck.

The Scorpio is a jugaad car IMO in design and engineering, the XUV is not much better. I believe Mahindra is an embarassment among the desi automotive firms, who are all so much closer to international standards: Tata, Bajaj, TVS, even Ashok Leyland. The Scorpio, XUV and Xylo remind me of nothing so much as the Korean car makers' very obviously crappy but dirt cheap models from at least 20/25 years ago, which I remember seeing and disliking intensely as a teenager abroad.

Mahindra has lost a lot of market share to the ecosport, duster/terrano, soon to the avventura ;-), and within a year to several "SUV"-s from the East Asian firms. Tata really have left them far behind in engineering terms with the Storme and Aria, once they jazzup their design language, and the fabulous looking Nexon will be here in a year or so, Mahindra is in big trouble, mefeels, if this Scorpio is one of their better efforts.

They are still more of a great tractor+utilitarian desi-style UV (Bolero etc) maker than a passenger car maker, am afraid. Sad. All because they have not really faced tough enough competition in their market segments/price points. Now that is changing. I guess their access to technology and technique at SSanyyong will ensure they stay relevant but it's downhill from here.
  5. acechip

acechip Superiore

Well, I think we are being a bit uncharitable to Mahindra here. I believe that they took a massive lead by bringing in the MHawk engine, while Tata was tottering around with its 3 litre TCIC (borrowed from the 407 truck IIRC). Finally they were forced to catch up with the newer VARICOR engines on the Storme/Aria. Thats where the Scorpio really leapfrogged ahead- call it jugaad/tractor/utilitarian, they have an enviable brand equity in the semiurban/rural markets. Tata has been LAZY- they have this rather conceited notion that they have better engineering expertise, but its of precious use if their ears are not close to the customer. Only an outsider like (late) Karl Slym was able to bring some sense and urgency , because of which they atleast began to look beyond Indica/Vista/Nano/Sumo and other abominations like the Venture..
    Just like its married-but-separate partner (you know who:finger:), Tata need to wake up, brew and smell the coffee. Otherwise, Mahindra will continue to leapfrog ahead, niggle-prone XUV/Scorpio notwithstanding.

And btw, I am a bit aghast that you are calling the likes of Bajaj , TVS and Ashok Leyland as manufacturers which are close to international standards. No Indian manufacturer comes even remotely close, IMO, unless you directly borrow elements of international design/technology, which none of the fully-Indian manufacturers do. To that extent, I'd say, that atleast the Mahindra guys have tried and succeeded with the XUV. I am sure Mahindra sells much more than any other Tata export (Aria/Storme/Xenon).
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Anand Mahindra and Pawan Goenka, like the good dynamic canny marwari businessmen they are, have jugaad-innovated their way to success but only because, as you rightly say, tata motors has been sclerotic and bureaucratic, and because there was no other competition: until now. Also, their great lead in vehicle finance for rural and rurban clients has helped them and will continue to.

But, i figure: the easy 'jugaad'-is- enough-to-rake-in-the-millions phase is ending with tractor-trailer loads of very accomplished competition starting to arrive (Ecosport, Duster, Avventura, new tata b-suv, other new or revamped tata suv-s, maruti s-cross+alpha, hyundai ix25, a cheap Honda suv too....and several fiat and affordable Jeep SUVs (ahem ;-)) by end 2016 . Of course, they can deploy SSangyong technology and quality, such as it is.

I recently discovered that both tata and mahindra bought the rights to the same diesel engine from an Austrian(?) engineering firm, and so both the dicor and now varicor tata engine and the mHawk are essentially the same! If that is true: i have to say both the Storme and the Aria, sales dullards though they are, are much better engineered and designed vehicles than any Mahindra. And Tata Motors has it seems woken up now, post-Ratan Tata retirement. (You're so right about tata and fiat being uncannily similar, great perpetual underdogs! :))

Also, just to justify the other claim about international quality standards: Bajaj and TVS are both export champions compared to Mahindra SUVs (tractors are a different story), or tata passenger cars for that matter, and are quite respected for the 'cheap as the chinese but of much higher quality' reputation they've earned in many non-Western markets.

And tata have proven with the storme, aria, vista, manza and esp the zest that they are capable of pretty high standards of engineering, build quality, and even (at times) design, albeit with lots of help, such as it is, from....Fiat (and others). If I were into big beefy SUV machismo, i'd emphatically buy a Storme over a Scorpio or XUV.

And then 'upgrade' to a made-in-India Jeep with a Fiat engine. ;-)
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

I would also love to buy a Storme over a Scorpio. But whats with the plain jane dashboard man? Shelling out over 14 lac, you dont even get a music system. And no rear wash/wipe for LX version ? Whats the deal with that ?
    Look, if Tata really wants to be a game changer ,they should change the way they themselves perceive their products. Incorporate atleast dual-airbags in ALL versions of their cars. I'd take those over alloy wheels and electrical folding mirrors or disc brakes.
    I respect VW for having taken a basic step of introducing dual airbags in all versions.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I guess they skimped on equipment in order to meet price targets, preferring to allocate costs to engineering (ride, handling, chassis and better build quality/reliability)? But they F-ed up there, since the market seems to prefer the former over the latter (ref XUV sales figures, by contrast). The market seems also the prefer lurid tawdry styling of the Mahindras too, doesn't it?

A new, well equipped and somewhat re-styled Storme coming up in Jan 2015, apparently.

On a Fiat note: Fiat need to stick to the 2016 timeline for their and the India-made Jeep b/c-suv VERY STRICTLY. Else, they will lose a whole lot of current Linea owners like you (not me though! ;-)) who will be at loss for a Fiat product to upgrade to.