1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Mahabaleshwar - Loot in the name of grampanchayat and pollution tax

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by mchanna, Jul 24, 2014.

1. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Last weekend I happened to visit Mahabaleshwar after 6-7 years.
    We were 5Adults and 4Kids.

I am surprised to see the ripping the tourists in the name of pollution tax and grampanchayat tax.
    One at panchgani and another yet Mahabaleshwar. Total amount we paid was 500/- (20 per head adults 10 for kids and 50 per car)
    Apart from these we have to pay 20 rupees for every point that we visit :-(

I am even more surprised to hear that it not for those who visit mahabaleshwar, it is for all who pass through mahabaleshwar...complete rip off!!

Are these really legal?
    What does it mean by pollution tax...grhhhh???
    3 people like this.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

Welcome to lala land :p
    Well this happens in every nook and corner of India.
    Locals put kaacha toll nakas, points and collect money from tourists.
    Or they will make money by asking for parking charges even in open areas.
    Have seen this in Himachal, remote uttrakhand, Maharastra, some interior places in rajasthan, Jharkhand, Bihar and some other states too.

For revenge catch hold of one of the local smokers and charge him pollution tax :evil::evil: ::D::D :lol::lol: if you can :D
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    everything is loot including the NH4 road as well.Hating it....
  4. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    They are all swindlers. Tolls are being charged for places which have no roads. Anyone who has travelled the stretch from Panipat to ludhiana - jallandhar can tell you that. You travel most of the route via bylanes which are hardly 10 feet wide.. So you follow in astraight line in a "kafila" at 40 kmph for majority of the highway. inbetween these bylanes you will get a straight stretch varying from 2 km to 10 km and then you see a big red sign telling you to turn and get to the bylane. This stretch is around 250 kms easily and the best part is it is same since last 5 yeras at least i hav ebeen witnessing. Till booths are just as they were. ....Govts are cheating, business men are cheating, Locals on teh way are cheating. Exploitation and nothing else.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

I had gone to Mahabaleshwar in March this year and didnt pay a bomb to get into the city. IIRC I paid around 50 bucks at the first toll point (i.e opp to Venna lake) and it was surely not per person basis. It was on single vehicle basis and I am sure about that. They do give the receipt which bears the municipality details so I guess thats genuine. You can log your complaint in the link below:

Welcome to Mahabaleshwar Hill Station Municipal Council | Complaints

Attached is the pdf documeny which talks about the pollution tax.

View attachment Mahabaleshwar Tourist tax.pdf
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  6. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Thanks Girish,

This notice is of 2002 if I read it right!
    I been there in 2006 and I dont remember paying any tax or toll. Not even parking fee.

As per the document, it is 5/per vehicle if passing through and 30rs for car.
    These people are charging 20 per head + 50rs per car.

Why do one need to pay pollution tax twice for the same route. one at panchgani and one at Mahabaleshwar?
    Why the hell one need to pay 20/- at every point???

Parking fee collection is common everywhere now...the road side beggar has become a fee collector. I have seen many places in Pune where these scoundrels pop up from no where!!
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

I wish the state govt seriously impose a hefty pollution tax on the smoke spewing trucks, trailers and other vehicles plying inside the city roads. Or for the best cancel the registration. I have seen such polluting vehicles in Mahabaleshwar too and enroute to it from NH4.
  8. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Girish I am not able to submit the complaint, link is not working ...lol
    Na rahegi baas, na bajegi basuri hahhaa
    1 person likes this.
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Linea 1.3
    I plan to visit Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai next week. Which route is better, via Mahad or via Pune? I guess that Pune route may have better roads, but Mahad route may be more scenic. I would like to take Mahad route while going and Pune route for return for my onward journey to return to Indore.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If you want to experiene the scenic drie then take Mahad route and if you want to drive on express highways then NH4.

Please note after Mahabaleshwar Phata from NH4 road is very scenic and has nice ghat roads.