1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MAF sensor cleaning with spirit

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by harip, Oct 2, 2017.

1. harip

harip Novizio

cochin
    Linea 1.3
    Hi guys,

Sharing my experience with sensor cleaning.

I read about MAF sensor cleaning a while back and had planned to do it when I had enough time. I had got my intercooler pipes cleaned with some other works at Bosch service center near Edappally, Kochi, Kerala. I had specifically asked them to clean the EGR and that they did not do.
    By my experience, please avoid that service centre at any cost, because the cost you put out to avoid them would be less than what they would squeeze out from you. Just to let know I was charged 4k for a single front strut.
    So after getting the intercooler pipes cleaned I was not feeling much of a difference in performance. By the way my Lines mjd emotion pk has run 1lak plus kms. So what I do is bought a new air filter from Hyson kochi and replaced the old one in the empty road near the showroom itself. I could feel that the engine was a little free after this but car was emitting more smoke than before and first cheap(less coastly) guess was clean MAF sensor.
    First issue was sourcing isopropyl alcohol as no drug store had it and some had not even heard the name. So managed to find a surgical equipment store and guess what, this is simple called spirit. So for keralaites it would be simple for you if you try to enquire it as just spirit. If you guys know it already then excuse me cos I didn't.
    I got two bottles and as in instructions took out the sensor. It was pretty easy job. I also had sourced a collor for the sensor to turbo hose part as my old one was clip type and I did not have tools to put back in. I got two transparent plastic bags and poured one bottle in one bag after keeping the sensor in it. Kept 15 min took out the sensor and put it in new bag with second bottle. Again 15 min. Also shook the cover really good so the sensor got applied with the spirit real well. This got rid of most of the small dust like things. After taking out the sensor from second bag, i could see some hard sludge like thing in the net. I took a risk and with help of small pin removed those things from the net and took it out of the pipe.
    Gave it enough time to dry and put it back in. I had also removed the battery negative terminal during the time for an ECU reset. After connecting all back in, went for a drive. Once engine was warm enough, revved hard through gears. Stopped the car and checked for smoke and guess what, smoke has reduced to a minimal level. Revv to around 3k to 4k rpm and slight smoke is there. If I had used a dedicated cleaner may be that would also have vanished.
    So all of you guys who had munched up lot of miles and facing performance issues, just give it a try.
    No pics guys sorry. And this is my first DIY.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @harip

Can you post some pics of your DIY? Would help interested Fiat owners to try.

3. harip

harip Novizio

cochin
    Linea 1.3
    I dont have pics of when i did it. But i will do a pictorial guide on how to remove sensor and do it. Probably this weekend.

4. harip

harip Novizio

cochin
    Linea 1.3
    Hi guys, i haved attached an image with details. There are two 10 sized screws marked in red and a round clip to remove for taking out the maf sensor. The clip might be clip on type and we can unclip it using a flat screw driver. If you are unsure about fitting the clip on thing back, just get a crew type clip like i did from a spare parts shops that sells for heavy vehicles. Cos they will have it for sure. Cost rs30

We can move the yellow clip up and unhook the sensor connector. Move the air filter box up and take out the sensor, pull it out from the turbo inlet hose.

When fitting try not to tighten so much. Tight enough plus a quarter rotation was how i did.

Hope this helps. Sensor is strong enough. Dont be afraid u will break it. 9586c334cc9f36085a3c2c5038401a93.jpg 4d6bdc05da206f49dfff991e7f154996.jpg

Sachin patel and --gKrish-- like this.