1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

MAF/MAP sensor

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sungoa2010, Mar 12, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    How the MPI engine know how much fuel to mix with the air. There are two kind of way to achieve this. MAF(Mass air Flow) sensor 2) Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP sensor).MAF measures directly the air flow and MAP measure the pressure and use this data to calculate the air mass . This information is then fed to ECU which determine the correct fuel mass for injection. These sensors are very critical for engine performance and any dirt or malfunction can result in knocking and appearing of engine warning lights.

I want to know which type of sensor is used in Fiat(MAP or MAF?. Is it safe to clean the sensor by ourselves. Since the service interval for Fiat is 15K and in Indian conditions there is a possibility of getting the sensor blocked with dirt.
    Here is some useful link for more information

http://www.ehow.com/about_5382536_mass-airflow-sensor-failure-symptoms.html
    http://www.fiatboo.co.uk/photogal/guidepics/maf/maf.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_absolute_pressure
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor
  2. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The sensors that alter fueling are MAP, MAF, water temp sender, lambda sensors, throttle position sensor, rpm sender, knock sensor, airtemp sender and cam sensor. They also meter to alter the ignition timing in petrol applications.

You will find both sensors the MAP and the MAF in Fiat engines. Most new engines have either two MAPs or a MAP and a MAF.

Cleaning the MAF is tricky and often leads to damage or inaccurate metering.

The ECU can't detect a malfunctioning MAP and often not even a MAF.

Cleaning of MAPs is useless. When they malfunction it is usually due to againg. MAPs last for about 3 to 4 years.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There's a wise idiom in english : If it ain't broke , dont fix it.

And if at all u face a problem related to them , take your car to the service centre. Do not give those service centre guys an excuse to void your warranty.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    In MJD both sensors are there.

MAF is on the pipe which goes from air filter to Tubo intake. You will find it near the bonnet latch

MAP is located on Inlet manifold.

MAF counts the flow of air. MAP counts the volume of air.

You can clean sensors with the help of pressurised air.

But be sure both battery terminal is disconnected . First disconnect - ve terminal.

While opening sensor socket,do not pull directly. First unlock the yellow colored lock then pull the sensor clip.

Extremly differance is there after doing this job. If you are not sure about DIY,then go to TATA.

TATA people will do it absolutly free. It takes 4-5 min.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    sincere advice - do not fiddle with the sensors. some sensors are calibrated while fitting in certain angles. if the angles are disturbed it causes wrong signal and leads to many problem.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks. I had some warning light issue with my Punto in cold start and while searching for similar problem I came across some posts where they advised to do MAF sensor cleaning .Now it got fixed by updating software(as told by service people). I don't know whether they clean my sensors.

Thanks. I will not even think of it before 4 years of warranty expiration.
    Thanks. Did you try it?
  7. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    When unplugging the sensors it is no need to disconnect the battery. Just leave the igbition key out of the barrel.

Cleaning the map with pressurised air will most likely destroy it.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes I have done this. Got results. Problem of flat spot solved.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Recently after two 500 Kms trip ,i have observed that the mileage and pickup, both dropped drastically,Mileage wise 2Kmpl and behaving very sluggish/feeling very heavy.
    i'm unable to understand how to start with diagnose.Shall i first start with MAF Sensor cleaning with intercooler check, ? There are no hoses leak.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Ganges, yes that along with an Examiner check.
    Ganges likes this.