1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Madras --> Mysore --> Bekal --> Wayanad --> Madras - Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by 5u3zEr0, May 14, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Its been about a year I think and I remember they had started work from the Mulbagal section towards Palamner. Okay I am more or less decided about taking the Vellore route this time. The other advantage would be not getting into Bangalore to get to NICE road. I just hope the traffice around Hosur and the queue on the toll plaza's are less as it would be Sunday morning.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Speed breakers on Mysore road: I did an unplanned trip to Mysore yesterday. Most of the speed breakers- there are quite a lot of them- are between mandya and Srirangapatna, where there are a lot of pedestrian/sugarcane-loaded bullock cart crossing areas.

Where all you plan to visit in Kerala? I see only Bekal and Vythiri. Roads between these two places mostly popular and there will be decent traffic movement most of the time, except late night. I dont think you will face any issues.

If you are referring to Iritty > Taliparamba road, it is nicely maintained state highway(two-way), scenic but with quite a few turns and twists. There will be reasonable traffic most on the time, except early morning, which is the best time to take that road. If you prefer straight roads, take Iritty > Mattannur > Kannur > Taliparamba, which is some 20+ kms more.
    Just be a little careful about private buses running with tampered speed-governors, most of them dont respect anyone honking at them, except themselves :D
    1 person likes this.
  3. frombiker

frombiker

Hyderabad
    I traveled a couple of months ago to Mysore via Mandya. Good roads with lots of speed breakers mostly in towns and at village entrance and exits.
    Travelling time goes up by an hour or two if you are travelling to Mysore on Saturday morning.

Kamat Hotel on the way is worth trying. Liked their freshly made jillebis:)
    1 person likes this.
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ fiatlover: Thanks! I am planning to also go to Calicut as a day trip from Wayanad but I don’t know if it is worth it. Let me see how the trip pans out every day and then decide. Yes those bus operators are ruffians, they are an ugly part of our Highways.

@ frombiker: I guess the Jalebi’s will have to wait :(as we will be taking the Kanakpura Road.

I got another suggestion from two people to take the Hunsur – Madikeri – Bhagamandalam – Panathur – Kanhangad – Bekal route.
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  5. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Back in Madras a couple of days back. Had a lovely ten days holiday with the family and the weather was good everywhere except in Bekal, where it was a little warm but we had the best time there. Total kilometers driven were 1725 across all kinds of road you could drive. Major revelation is that driving in north Kerala takes a lot of time and frustrating, the roads are very twisty and hence your average speeds come down a lot. It took us four and half hours to do about 190kms! The car was perfect all along except for some sterring wobble at high speeds. I had a blast driving at some sections of wide twisty roads especially from Jalsoor to close to Puttur, cornering at high speeds in lower gears with the turbo spooling away, SUPER! :D

Missed doing the dimbam ghats this time, will save it for the next time. Soon!
  6. krish1484

krish1484 Novizio

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi 5u3zEr0, I am all set for my vacation now and I'll be going to Coorg(Siddapura to be precise). Looking at your thread, I assume you did Bengaluru-Mysore via Kanakapura-Malavalli. Can you just share the road condition in this stretch. How much time does it take approximately to cover this stretch.
    I'm not keen as well to take SH-17 due to irritating speed breakers all the way.
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Krish,

You must have finished you vacation by now but anyway I am posting.

Yes, I did it via Kanakapura. I don't remeber the exact time but I left Shoolagiri HP bunk at 12:00 and was in Mysore by 15:30. I took NICE road in between and exited at the Kanakpura exit. The road is okay till you are on the NH and after that it becomes narrower and slower till you reach the Mysore ring road. Since it was a weekend I had to take this route to avoid the traffice on the regular Mysore road.

On the way back I took the regular road with all those humps because it was a week day. It was more comfortable and relaxing than the Kanakpura road.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Some photo's I took on my trip:

The GQ somewhere between Ambur and Vaniyambadi:

NH4.JPG

Road between Mysore and Hunsur

Mysore Hunsur.JPG

Road between Hunsur and Madikeri, closer to Madikeri I think:

Madikeri.JPG

The road from Madikeri to Sulia and Jalsoor was a pain, with road works completed in patches and many many bad patches, the completed part:

Madikeri Sulia.JPG

We had to slow down to a crawl so many times because the road was so bad, the section in between:

Madikeri Sulia 1.JPG

A photo of the backwater and the sea with the sands of the beach in between, in our resort:

Bekal Backwaters.JPG

The famous Bekal Fort:

Bekal Fort.JPG Bekal Fort 1.JPG

A photo of the mountains of Wayanad in twilight:

Wayanad.jpg

A photo from our resort:

Resort Wayanad.jpg

My car in Kalpetta, photo taken by my daughter:

Kalpetta.jpg

One of the lakes in Wayanad:

Kalpetta lake.JPG
    Murphy_Fiat, fiatlover, ramjn and 2 others like this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That's Pookoot Lake. The smallest lake I have seen for boating. Next only to Yelagiri lake. :)
  10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks Ramjn, I forgot the name of the lake and there are so many in the Wayanad region!

Wayanad was a disappointment for me, it was too warm whereas we were expecting cooler weather. My mistake to assume that it would be cooler.

Mysore was in fact much nicer with lovely weather. We stopped on the return also for a day and I am really beginning to like this town.