1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Madras --> Mysore --> Bekal --> Wayanad --> Madras - Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by 5u3zEr0, May 14, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    It is family vacation time of the year and like the last few years it has come down to a last minute road trip as our plans of going abroad did not fall into place.

Now since I love driving, I always end up cajoling my family into a road trip telling them it is much more convenient to go around and that train tickets would be impossible to get and instead of flying to our destination we could spend that money on our stay in a much plusher hotel / resort. So now as we have become quite experienced with our road trips over the last few years and by God's grace my two cute little daughters have no health issue's with being in the car for extended periods of time, so we have decided to explore North Kerala this year.

The plan is to have a eight or nine nights trip with stays in Mysore, Bekal, Calicut and Wayanad. And then come back to Madras without a break or take a nights break enroute in either Salem or Bangalore. The route and plan as of now is as below:

Madras - Chittoor - Whitefield - Attibele - NICE road - Maddur - Mysore.

Mysore - Madiker - Sulia - Bekal

Bekal - Calicut or

Bekal - Irutty - Vythiri

Vythiri - Chamrajnagara - Sathyamangalam - Salem - Ulundurpet - Madras or

Vythiri - Mysore - Bangalore - Chittoor - Madras

Please give your suggestions on the route or alternate routes and current road conditions . Feedback from our member's from Kerala / Karnataka would be highly appreciated.

Also any suggestion's to go to any other place are welcome.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    For onward, I would like to suggest Kanakapura road to Mysore instead of Maddur/Mandya. The regular Mandya road to Mysore has got 'n' number of speed breakers which will make your drive painful. On the other hand, the kanakapura road is enjoyable but be warned that there are no decent food options in this road.

For return, I certainly recommend Chamrajnagara-Sathyamangalam section. The Dimbam ghat is super fun to drive with the Fiats.
  3. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    During previous Mysore trip, my friend who was in co-passenger seat did a rough count and it was @90 speed humps which dots the 135-140 km stretch; which translates to a hump for every 1.5 kms on this highway! Errr, I shouldn't be calling it a highway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ The only good thing about this highway (???) is that we have also got 'n' number of food options as well. Food court highway. :)
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    true. its is actually a foodcourt on a stretch of 140 kms :)

@subzero, the places that you have planned to visit would be pretty hot at this time of the year. I am guessing you want to visit relatives who reside at these places?
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ ramjn: I did Kanakpura road last year in January as I wanted to avoid the regular road to Bangalore on my way back from Mysore, but there were some sections of road which didn't have tar on it and some slow sections which pass through towns which kind of made me think twice about this road again. If the road is completely tarred now I could use it.

But to think again, if the Mandya road has that many speed humps :eek:, I would definitely be better off with the Kanakpura road. Anybody who used it recently?

Yes, I have heard about the Dimbam ghat road, looking forward to driving on it. And after reading your post contemplating going that way even for getting into Mysore. I dread getting into Bangalore.

@ shams: We live in Madras! You should know that "hot" in other cities could be pleasant for a Madarasi :D. Anyway I have been checking the weather in these parts and they could be a little warm except Mysore / Wayanad but that is fine.

No meeting relatives just vacation with family :).
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Any updates on the Kanakpura road to Mysore? Anybody drove on this section recently and is it fully tarred till Mysore?
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It is not that bad these days. I did a trip to home and back couple of weeks back. There are speed breakers, but not too many, and are mostly near towns, such as Ramanagara, mandya, and srirangapatna. All these are well-marked too. A good portion of the roads were repaired recently, and gives you a very smooth ride. I don't know how recent is recent, but they looked like newly asphalted.
    3 people like this.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    for the 1st 110 kms or so (till malvalli town) it will be smooth as it always is since you will be on NH209 which is usually in top condition. from there you need to go another 40 odd kms which is a state highway, though not so smooth as NH 209 but very much drivable usually. i have used these roads quite a few times but not recently. in case you are worried about the road conditions (not managing to get a review of the 40 odd kms) and you are not driving to mysore on weekend, you might as well take mysore rd
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    He is driving this Saturday. Nightmares guaranteed on the Mysore road. :)